IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : New Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Female Reverts outnumber men  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Female Reverts outnumber men

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icforumadmin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2010 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by Megatron Megatron wrote:

I'm curious why there are more female reverts to Islam vs. male.  I'm thinking it's because it's because most of these women are marrying a Muslim man and revert to the religion. 

According "IslamiCity Imam", yes about 70 % who took shahada in IslamiCity are women.  So, not because they are marrying a muslim man.  Majority of those women are single.

Admin

Edited by icforumadmin - 16 July 2010 at 12:23pm
Hidden_Pearl View Drop Down
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hidden_Pearl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2011 at 1:49pm
Asalaamu aleikum

Well, I'm a female revert,mashallah, who found Islam while single, before I ever met my husband- and Not for the sake of a man or marriage, although I did marry later on.
I find it dismaying that many people automatically assume that I reverted for my husband. I understand that some women do just that, but it often seems to me a very shallow commitment- one that's often dropped as soon as the couple divorce and go their separate ways. Embracing Islam is more than just mouthing the Shahada, or being desperate to do anything to please a man at the sake of rejecting your own identity.
I think a lot of women are attracted initially to Islam by the special status and respect that is afforded women, by the standards of modesty and decency. This is a different kind of treatment than many of us in the west are used to- we see and feel the failure of "women's lib" and are not content to be reduced to "sex objects" on constant display. Islam is unique in it's concept of construction of femaleness and the relations between men and women. Subhanallah.
Of course there are other, spiritual factors at work, but I think these issues I outlined above play more of a role with women reverts than with men.

But, yes, Allah SWT guides whom he wills...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic