IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : New Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Female Reverts outnumber men  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Female Reverts outnumber men

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Megatron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Female Reverts outnumber men
    Posted: 30 September 2007 at 1:14pm

I'm curious why there are more female reverts to Islam vs. male.  I'm thinking it's because it's because most of these women are marrying a Muslim man and revert to the religion. 

seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2007 at 6:52pm
 I think since, Islam is the only  religion which speaks of woman,  uplifts women by giving her all the rights she deserves. And yes, "Hijab " is also an important factor for reverting. So perhaps these things  bring them closer to Islam and when they study more out of curiosity, then there misconceptions shed, thus they embrace Islam. I don't think so that they embrace islam for the sake of getting married. One or two may be an exception. BUt mostly they embrace only when they study Islam. We have many reverts here. May be there opinions shall, matter you more.
Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2007 at 12:51am

Originally posted by seekshidayath seekshidayath wrote:

I think since, Islam is the only  religion which speaks of woman,  uplifts women by giving her all the rights she deserves. And yes, "Hijab " is also an important factor for reverting. So perhaps these things  bring them closer to Islam and when they study more out of curiosity, then there misconceptions shed, thus they embrace Islam. I don't think so that they embrace islam for the sake of getting married. One or two may be an exception. BUt mostly they embrace only when they study Islam. We have many reverts here. May be there opinions shall, matter you more.

Salaamu Alaykum

You've got it right, Brother Seeks Hadayith!

JAK!

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
Aminah07 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aminah07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2008 at 6:17pm

ASA,

Megatron, I just wanted to ask how did you come up with your theory of marrying into Islam?

In the Quran' it says many places that Allah is the one that opens someones heart to accept Islam or closes it if he wills so that they will never be able to embrace it.

I like what br. Seekshidayath had to say.

I took Shahada and accepted Islam before I married my husband. At the time marriage was not even a thought in my mind as I was just finishing HighSchool and working part-time and making plans for college.

It would be interesting to see what other sr's had to say about your question.

mariyah View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mariyah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2008 at 7:39pm
Asalaamu alaikum:
 I like these excerpts from a web page I was reading:
If you want to read the rest, you can find it at: http://www.twf.org/Library/Women.html

HRH, The Prince of Wales, Islam And The West
Islamic countries like Turkey, Egypt, and Syria gave women the vote as early as Europe did its women -- and much earlier than in Switzerland! In those countries women have long enjoyed equal pay, and the opportunity to play a full working role in their societies. The rights of Muslim women to property and inheritance, to some protection if divorced, and to the conducting of business, were rights prescribed by the Quran twelve hundred years ago, even if they were not everywhere translated into practice. In Britain at least, some of these rights were novel even to my grandmother's generation!
Karen Armstrong, Muhammad: A Biography Of The Prophet
Western critics often blame the Quran for its treatment of women, which they see as iniquitous, but in fact the emancipation of women was dear to the Prophet's heart. There are complaints that the Quran teaches a double standard: the laws of inheritance, for example, decree that a woman can inherit only half of what her brothers (who have to provide the mahl to start a new family) will receive. Again, women are allowed to be witnesses in law, but their witness is only half as valuable as that of a man. In the context of the twentieth century - when, we should remember, we are still campaigning for equal rights for women - this Quranic legislation does seem prohibitive. But in seventh-century Arabia it was revolutionary. We must remember what life had been like for women in the pre-Islamic period when female infanticide was the norm and when women had no rights at all. Like slaves, women were treated as an inferior species, who had no legal existence. In such a primitive world, the very idea that a woman could be a witness or could inherit anything in her own right was astonishing. We must recall that in Christian Europe, women had to wait until the nineteenth century before they had anything similar: even then, the law remained heavily weighted towards men. -- p. 191

Women In Islam Versus Women In The Judaeo-Christian Tradition

Why are there four female converts for every male convert to Islam in the US? This paper provides clues by examining the teaachings of the three monotheistic faiths.
by Dr. Sherif Abdel Azeem  Found at http://www.twf.org/Library/WomenICJ.html

Edited by Maryah
"Every good deed is charity whether you come to your brother's assistance or just greet him with a smile.
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2008 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by Maryah Maryah wrote:

Asalaamu alaikum:
 I like these excerpts from a web page I was reading:
If you want to read the rest, you can find it at: http://www.twf.org/Library/Women.html

HRH, The Prince of Wales, Islam And The West
Islamic countries like Turkey, Egypt, and Syria gave women the vote as early as Europe did its women -- and much earlier than in Switzerland! In those countries women have long enjoyed equal pay, and the opportunity to play a full working role in their societies. The rights of Muslim women to property and inheritance, to some protection if divorced, and to the conducting of business, were rights prescribed by the Quran twelve hundred years ago, even if they were not everywhere translated into practice. In Britain at least, some of these rights were novel even to my grandmother's generation!
Karen Armstrong, Muhammad: A Biography Of The Prophet
Western critics often blame the Quran for its treatment of women, which they see as iniquitous, but in fact the emancipation of women was dear to the Prophet's heart. There are complaints that the Quran teaches a double standard: the laws of inheritance, for example, decree that a woman can inherit only half of what her brothers (who have to provide the mahl to start a new family) will receive. Again, women are allowed to be witnesses in law, but their witness is only half as valuable as that of a man. In the context of the twentieth century - when, we should remember, we are still campaigning for equal rights for women - this Quranic legislation does seem prohibitive. But in seventh-century Arabia it was revolutionary. We must remember what life had been like for women in the pre-Islamic period when female infanticide was the norm and when women had no rights at all. Like slaves, women were treated as an inferior species, who had no legal existence. In such a primitive world, the very idea that a woman could be a witness or could inherit anything in her own right was astonishing. We must recall that in Christian Europe, women had to wait until the nineteenth century before they had anything similar: even then, the law remained heavily weighted towards men. -- p. 191

Women In Islam Versus Women In The Judaeo-Christian Tradition

Why are there four female converts for every male convert to Islam in the US? This paper provides clues by examining the teaachings of the three monotheistic faiths.
by Dr. Sherif Abdel Azeem  Found at http://www.twf.org/Library/WomenICJ.html

Salaams,

Nice piece, sister!  JAK!
Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
minuteman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minuteman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2008 at 3:07am

The question is why the ladies of western countries are embracing Islam more than the gentlemen of the same countries. There could be many reasons. One main reason has been described above that the religion of Islam is in fact superior to other faiths. BUT that is equal for the men and women. So why the women become Muslimahs in greater number.

I feel that education of men and women is equal in those countries. The men are too busy woking but women may find some time to study things at home. The men are mostly sunk in booze and gambling. They smoke too much and misplay (misbehave) with the wives too much. There being so many divorces (which is not allowed by the catholic church) upsets the family.

The men and the women (as I have seen them in europe) do not marry until they produce a child first. If not successful with one person, they move to to another one. Most of them have done away with the marriage.

It is felt that the ladies feel the pinch of bad social behaviour. They have a fear of the future and intention to avoid troubles.  They intend to lead a good moral life and need security. So they look to some solution. That solution they find in Islam more than any where else.

They become attracted due to talk with other muslim ladies too who have a house or family setup with good children. Due to the bad teachings of the other religions, the family setup is all destroyed. People are not really happy with the family matters in non-muslim couples.

Edited by minuteman
martha View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2008 at 4:40am

Minuteman,

I am disappointed that you feel european men are adulterous drunks! But I can only surmise that it is a generalisation of european western life.

Whilst I agree that this type of behaviour exists, on the whole it is limited to the larger cities. City life is never a good indication of 'real life' . Most country folk are decent, marry, then have children, and the husband looks after his wife and family.

Megatron,

Answering your question. I of course am generalising. But many many British women become muslim after they marry their muslim husband. I can only hope that it is their own free will that makes them revert to Islam.

Fortunately, I became muslim when I was a single parent, and way before I met and married my Pakistani husband. I take great pains to always point this out to otheres, before they put me in the same box as other muslimahs. The highest percentage of British muslim reverts live in the cities. And usually they marry men of a different culture.

You obviously think that women revert to Islam after marriage. Do you have any ideas why this is so?

some of us are a lot like cement:- all mixed up and permanently set
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic