IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islamic INTRAfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Saudi Female can fly but not drive  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Saudi Female can fly but not drive

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andalus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Saudi Female can fly but not drive
    Posted: 29 September 2007 at 4:33pm

First Saudi Woman Pilot�Not Allowed to Drive

Hanadi said she would return to the kingdom to fly commercial flights.

By Ayman Shawki, IOL Correspondent

AMMAN, July 17, 2005 (IslamOnline.net) � Hanadi Zakaria Al-Hindi can fly a plane, but she can not drive a car to the airport or anywhere else in her homeland of Saudi Arabia.

The hard-to-believe equation became a reality when Hanadi obtained her commercial pilot license from the Middle East Academy for Commercial Aviation in Jordan and was thus eligible to fly.

But she will still be forced to be driven to the airport, instead of driving the car herself, as Saudi women can not drive cars, under Saudi laws.

�I feel proud for studying aviation in Jordan and I will now return to my country, armed with science and knowledge, to work as a plane pilot,� Hanadi told the Jordanian news agency (Petra) Wednesday, June 15, after her graduation ceremony.

The first Saudi woman pilot, who was born in Makkah, also expressed gratitude to Saudi billionaire Al-Waleed bin Talal, who paid for her studies and training course in Jordan.

Capt. Hanadi, 27, has joined the Jordan�s Middle East Academy for Commercial Aviation in August 2002.

She got her first license to fly civil flights on September 7, 2003 after spending 103 flying hours.

Hanadi said her chosen career could not have been possible without her father's support.

�My father wanted to become a pilot, but couldn't realize his dream,� she said.

�That is why he pushed me to study aviation and become a pilot.''

�Pride for us�

Her graduation ceremony was attended by the Saudi Ambassador to Jordan and other officials of the Saudi diplomatic delegation.

Saudi cultural attach� told Petra that Hanadi�s graduation as the first woman pilot is a pride for all Saudi people.

�Capt. Hanadi sets an example for Saudi women, who proved their efficiency in all economic, commercial and cultural posts they obtained,� Sultan Al-Owaideh said.

The head of the academy�s board, Mohammad Audeh, also said the graduation of the first Saudi woman pilot �was a source of pride for all of us�.

Saudi women are not allowed to drive a car in the oil-rich kingdom following a controversial religious edict (fatwa) banning women from driving cars.

But controversy has been fueling in Saudi Arabia over granting women the right to drive.

A recent call by a Saudi member of the unelected Consultative Council, Mohamed Al-Zulfa, to study the issue of women drivers was rejected by the council.

Many Saudi intellectuals have been calling for granting Saudi women their rights guaranteed by the Islamic Shari`ah.

On June 14, Saudi Arabia�s Third National Dialogue Forum called for drawing a line between traditions and the Islamic tenets regarding women�s rights.

Breaking taboo and tumultuous women�s issues, the forum also concluded that a right balance should be struck between Shari`ah and everyday life in a way that does not contravene society ethics or Islam�s baselines.

http://www.islamonline.net/English/News/2005-06/17/article06 .shtml

Face it, it is a few hard line, out of touch Saudi clerics who have argued themselves into an embarresing corner.

A feeling of discouragement when you slip up is a sure sign that you put your faith in deeds. -Ibn 'Ata'llah
http://www.sunnipath.com
http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/
http://www.pt-go.com/
sulooni View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sulooni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2007 at 11:55am
unfortunately saudi kings have no grasp or concept of islam, therefore they spend much of thier time serving the oppressive government like isreal and america. they refuse to make sense for laws such as this one which ban the driving of women.

for more insight and info click here

www.insight-info.com/forum/default
sulooni View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sulooni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2007 at 8:34pm
i asked a saudi official why they have this ruling - he said to keep corruption down? 

does this make sense to you from an islamic standpoint?
www.insight-info.com/forum/default
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2008 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by sulooni sulooni wrote:

i
does this make sense to you from an islamic standpoint?

Makes no sense whatsoever. You wanna know the reason for this ruling? Un-Islamic Arabic traditions, that have been deep-rooted. Arab (I stress the word Arab, does not mean Muslim, Islam says otherwise) men tend to think of themselves as the superior sex, and have had that misconception since centuries. It is also lack of Islamic Awareness.

They would not like to see Women gaining control over thier lives, It helps thier male ego to see thier women dependent on them for evrything. Its probably easier for them to 'control' the women etc. This limits the females avenues for employment and education, thus keeping them in the dark about thier rights . . . which they would not like to give them.

Im not saying ALL Arabs are like that. Its just that the govt/monarchy makes the rules, and they are a bunch of uneducated, islamically unaware rich guys. Bear in mind that they hav no exposure or education whatsoever, and thus give precedence to thier Bedouin traditions.
Saladin View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saladin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2008 at 4:19am
 Sometime back I read in a newspaper that a woman saved the life of her husband, who suffered a heart attack while he was driving, by driving the car herself to the hospital. It came to be known later that the man taught his wife to drive, in private. Turned out to be a wise decision. 

The whole idea of preventing women from driving supposedly to prevent them from corruption, is laughable. I mean having an unrelated driver or public transport can be more corrupting and as if only women are prone to sinning and as if driving tempts women to sin. It would make sense if they allow woman to drive but with an adult male relative for support and security, like in case of accidents or flat tyres.

'Trust everyone but not the devil in them'
Hamzah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamzah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2008 at 5:33am
Agree with all what was written above, it's funny when people from outside our country speaks on behalf of our people, and i find it funny and sad at the same time Saudi Arabia gets so much mention, i mean i have never read someone writting something like:
this arabic or islamic country legalises prostitution, or allows the opening of bars and people posting how sad such things can happen, or the fact that a woman can not wear a niqab in Tunis, no!
but i guess those things are ok!!!
Subhan Allah.
"Whosoever fears Allah, he will appoint for him a way out, and provide for him from where he does not expect"
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2008 at 7:01am
Originally posted by Hamzah Hamzah wrote:

it's funny when people from outside our country speaks on behalf of our people, and i find it funny and sad at the same time Saudi Arabia gets so much mention,

Brother Hamza,

I realize I might have sounded a little presumptious when talking about what Saudi men . . . I apologize for sounding harsh when talking about arab male attitudes . . .I guess I got carried away, bcz of 'some' ppl I know. That does not represent my view of the lot. Not my place to say such things. . . I try my utmost not to pass judgements . . . and my view of most Saudi's is postive. So I would like to apologize for any harshness from my side.

Any good is from Allah alone, and any wrongs are my doing.

PS: I realize your comment may have been general. . . but it struck a cord with me. Smile
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Hamzah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamzah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2008 at 3:56pm
Bismillah
Assalam Alaikum
Sister, my quote was not direted towards you Wallah, i just noticed a trend and it was ment as a general observation, Jazak Allah kair and may Allah reward you for your kindness.
"Whosoever fears Allah, he will appoint for him a way out, and provide for him from where he does not expect"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic