IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Attacked in my sleep- Terrified.  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAttacked in my sleep- Terrified.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>
Author
Senior  Member
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2006 at 10:53am

I used to suffer from sleep paralysis.  It was terrifying.  I was soon afraid to fall asleep!  I had to see a doctor and go to a "sleep clinic" for an evaluation. 

Here in an interesting article which accurately describes what all goes on during this horrifying experience:

Relations among hypnagogic and hypnopompic experiences

associated with sleep paralysis*

J . ALLAN CHEYNE, IAN R. NEWBY-CLARK and STEVE D . RUEFFER

Department of Psychology, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Accepted in revised form 11 May 1999; received 16 November 1998

SUMMARY The Waterloo Sleep Experiences Scale was developed to assess the prevalence of sleep paralysis and a variety of associated hypnagogic and hypnopompic hallucinoid experiences: sensed presence, felt pressure, floating sensations, auditory and visual hallucinations, and fear. Consistent with results of recent surveys, almost 30% of 870 university students reported at least one experience of sleep paralysis. Approximately three-quarters of those also reported at least one hallucinoid experience, and slightly more than 10% experienced three or more. Fear was positively associated with hallucinoid experiences, most clearly with sensed presence. Regression analyses lend support to the hypothesis that sensed presence and fear are primitive associates of sleep paralysis and contribute to the elaboration of further hallucinoid experiences, especially those involving visual experiences.

KEYWORDS fear, hallucinations, hypnagogic, hypnopompic, sleep paralysis

INTRODUCTION 1962; Ness 1978; Penn et al. 1981). More recent surveys have yielded somewhat more consistent rates of 25�40%

Relations among hypnagogic and hypnopompic experiences

et al. 1998; Fukuda et al. 1987, 1998; Spanos et al. 1995; Wing

associated with sleep paralysis

Often, however, investigators have asked about hallucinoid experiences and sleep paralysis in the same question. Sleep paralysis occurs immediately prior to falling asleep or upon waking. During these episodes, individuals are conscious Simple counts of sleep paralysis alone, or assessments that conflate sleep paralysis and various combinations of of their surroundings and able to open their eyes, but unable to move (Hishikawa 1976). An acute sense of fear and various experiences, leave open many questions.

How many cases consist of only paralysis? How many consist of paralysis with hypnagogic and hypnopompic experiences often accompany sleep paralysis, although little systematic evidence is available additional experiences? What is the prevalence of the most common hallucinoid experiences? Do particular constellations on the prevalence of different experiences within a sleepparalysis episode. Sleep paralysis may occur during sleep onset- of experiences co-occur?

The latter sort of question is particularly interesting as it opens up the intriguing possibility or offset-REM (Fukuda 1994; Hishikawa and Shimizu 1995) and the hallucinoid experiences may result from neurological of exploring the structure and dynamics of the hallucinoid experiences. Moreover, understanding even basic issues such events associated with REM dream imagery (Hishikawa and

Shimizu 1995). These experiences include a sensed presence, as the prevalence and nature of sleep paralysis requires a more detailed and systematic assessment of both sleep paralysis and auditory and visual hallucinations, unusual bodily sensations including floating, and feelings of pressure on the body associated experiences.

The Waterloo Sleep Experiences Scale was designed to assess the prevalence of sleep paralysis and (Hishikawa 1976; Hufford 1982).

Early reported rates in clinical and nonclinical populations associated experiences, as well as to permit the analysis of relations among such experiences. Related research with this vary dramatically � from a low of 3% to a high of 62% (Goode instrument has discovered a high degree of structure in the patterning of hypnagogic and hypnopompic experiences.

* This research has received ethics clearance from the Office of Human (Cheyne et al. in press). This structure is consistent with cultural

Research of the University of Waterloo.

accounts of the �Old Hag�, �Kanashibari�, and ghost oppression Correspondence: J. Allan Cheyne, Department of Psychology,

that have been linked to sleep paralysis and associated University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. E-mail:

[email protected] experiences (Fukuda 1994;

In plain language, hallucinations also occur during sleep paralysis.  This would be the reason for "seeing" evil things, etc.  It is due to "misfiring of some of the neurons in the brain.  I take a low dose of a tranquilizer, and I don't have them anymore at all.  It is such a relief to be rid of them, because I was truly terrified too!!  It is really not a laughing matter for anyone who has had them.  There are some good, and safe, medications which control this ailment.

I hope this might be of some help!

God's Peace.

Edited by Patty
Patty

I don't know what the future holds....but I know who holds the future.
Patty View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2006 at 10:55am

Angel said:

"There is a way to know if anything is in the room, have some animals in there and they soon will let you know. "

Does my husband count?

God's Peace.

Patty

Patty View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2006 at 11:03am

ak chortled:

"maybe you should stop smoking crack for a while."

LOLOLOLOLOLOOL!!!! Where DO you come up with this stuff?  You have such a talent as a comic when you want to....you and Colin should get an act together! 

Patty

Colin View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2006 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by Patty Patty wrote:

ak chortled:

"maybe you should stop smoking crack for a while."

LOLOLOLOLOLOOL!!!! Where DO you come up with this stuff?  You have such a talent as a comic when you want to....you and Colin should get an act together! 

We have Patty, it is yet another unique service brought to you by the senior executives of Happiness Inc (Formerly Happiness LTD).

PS. To all you rich but unhappy people out there: Keep sending us the cash/cheques and we at Happiness Inc will continue to guarantee you a happy life free from the stress and sorrow that excessive wealth brings.

salman_s View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2006 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by Colin Colin wrote:

We have Patty, it is yet another unique service brought to you by the senior executives of Happiness Inc (Formerly Happiness LTD).

PS. To all you rich but unhappy people out there: Keep sending us the cash/cheques and we at Happiness Inc will continue to guarantee you a happy life free from the stress and sorrow that excessive wealth brings.

we do not trust in what you say.....

Colin View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2006 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by salman_s salman_s wrote:

We have hundreds of satisfied customers.

salman_s View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2006 at 11:04pm

you are fooling all of them.......and i don't want to be among those who get fooled

Colin View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2006 at 11:40pm

you are fooling all of them.......and i don't want to be among those who get fooled

Salman, how could you be so cynical?

Here's a customer endorsement from a Mr GWB of Idiotsville Texas:

Dear Colin and AK,

I would like to thank the caring folk of Happiness Inc for making me so happy. Before I signed up to your fantastic ten day wealth-loss program I was the most misrable person in America. I would mope about all day in my eliptical shaped office, often staring manically at the big red button on my desktop that said NUKE EM ALL. In a futile attempt to forget my unhappiness, I would order the invasion of countries for no logical reason, overdose on pretzels and kick my faithful dog Rummy.

I can honestly say that since I sent you all my money I am the happiest person in the world. I have no hesitation in recommending your marvelous service to sad gits everywhere.

Yours, GWB

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>
  Share Topic