IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Is there an Islamic response to John 3?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is there an Islamic response to John 3?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 13>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Redneck View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2006 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by bmzsp bmzsp wrote:

"OK,

So the KVJ is a mistranslation?"

Yes, Redneck. Most of the translations have been mistranslated.  The prophets of yore spoke Hebrew and Aramaic, which were then translated into Greek, which became the Mother of All Translations which in turn, gave birth to many translations made in English and then into many other languages, from Originals in English.

BMZ

Peace to you,

You know I have heard that many times and the more I read about it the more logical it becomes.

I can understand them wanting to translate it into Greek. To expand toward the East is a lot easier than going West with this message.

I would have thought someone would have saved the original Hebrew at least long enough to make some copies and get them into circulation.  Besides Saint Paul's plan was to spread the message of salvation to the Jews first as we see in Romans.

For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek" (Romans 1:16).

So translating it into Greek and burying the Hebrew doesn't make much seance. Besides we know that the Greeks were mired in all sorts of polytheistic ideas. So now you have the multitudes of millions of people reading a Jewish book with Greek glasses. Learning it as the Greeks would have interpreted it.

Would leaving it in Hebrew have been detrimental to the message?

Servetus View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Servetus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2006 at 10:05am

BMZ wrote:
Dear brother Serv,

Thank you brother BMZ and, with sons like us, I must say, it�s no wonder that dear old dad went lame in his arms from having to be always caning one or the other of us!

Quote:
That was a masterpiece and you wrote it so well and qualified so well.

Thanks.

Quote:
Had the Bible been translated in that style, there would, perhaps, not have been so much confusion at all.

I think that some of us have just grown accustomed to an overly �rationalist� approach to scriptures.  To my view, the underlying problem in many of these Interfaith, especially Christian and Islamic, discussions is not predominantly one of translation, though because translation is such an obvious factor it might seem so.  I do suspect, and this is an admittedly rather unorthodox opinion of my own, that quite unlike the Quran, which, as I understand, claims to be for the most part straightforward (39:28) and clearly written in Arabic while not altogether devoid of allegories, much of both the New and Old Testament writings, especially the prophecies, are, even in their original languages, in a sense deeply encrypted and are meant to be comprehended primarily by those with the (spiritual) �eyes to see� and �ears to hear� (see, e.g., Matt 13:13 referring, in turn, to Isaiah 6:9).  According to the written record of his ministry, Jesus was known to speak almost entirely in parables and at times riled the religious establishment with pointed if somewhat oblique references to certain members of that establishment, to their understandings, and to their practices (see, e.g., Matt 21:45).  Sometimes that all seems very confusing, in and of itself.

Quote:
Thanks for the comments and I enjoyed the "Nasikh" part.

I thought you might enjoy that.

Quote:
Yes, from our Christian brothers' point of view the entire Jewish Holy Scriptures, in fact, stand abrogated by the reported writers of the reported gospels. 

And all of that according to prophecy ...  Further concerning the issue of reportage, I have thought that however difficult or in fact impossible it might be to establish and substantiate the isnad, or chain of transmission of the written Gospel accounts (see, e.g., Luke 1:2), the fact remains that those Gospels stand upon the considerable merits of their own spiritual content.  And they have so stood for 2,000 years.

Best (and fraternal) regards,

Serv

Edited by Servetus
Cyril View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2006 at 9:47am
Originally posted by bmzsp bmzsp wrote:

Yes, Redneck. Most of the translations have been mistranslated.  The prophets of yore spoke Hebrew and Aramaic, which were then translated into Greek, which became the Mother of All Translations which in turn, gave birth to many translations made in English and then into many other languages, from Originals in English.

BMZ

Not true. The prophets spoke Hebrew and Aramaic and their revelations were written down in Hebrew (a small part in Aramaic). That is the Old Testament. All other translations are made from that Hebrew original.

As of the New Testament Jesus spoke mostly Aramaic.  His teachings were  written  down in Greek (the English of the time). There is absolutely no way to know if the Greek version corresponds to the words of Jesus.

From a religious standpoint, and only believers in religions can accept that, God is all-powerful and has protected his revelation. So from a religious point of view the Greek NT reflects exactly the sayings and teachings of Jesus.

Same with the Quran. Religious people say it was delivered to Muhammad by an angel, and historians say it is a collection of various religious teachings from the 7th century, probably put together by Hanif circles.

Sarita View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2006 at 6:27am
Originally posted by Andalus Andalus wrote:

Originally posted by Sarita Sarita wrote:

This is the chapter of the Bible I base my faith on. Does Islam have a response to this? I posted the chapter below, I could really use your insight. Thank you all so much! God bless you!

John 3

1 There was a man named Nicodemus, a Jewish religious leader who was a Pharisee. 2 After dark one evening, he came to speak with Jesus. �Rabbi,� he said, �we all know that God has sent you to teach us. Your miraculous signs are evidence that God is with you.�

3 Jesus replied, �I tell you the truth, unless you are born again,[a] you cannot see the Kingdom of God.�

4 �What do you mean?� exclaimed Nicodemus. �How can an old man go back into his mother�s womb and be born again?�

5 Jesus replied, �I assure you, no one can enter the Kingdom of God without being born of water and the Spirit.[b] 6 Humans can reproduce only human life, but the Holy Spirit gives birth to spiritual life.[c] 7 So don�t be surprised when I say, �You[d] must be born again.� 8 The wind blows wherever it wants. Just as you can hear the wind but can�t tell where it comes from or where it is going, so you can�t explain how people are born of the Spirit.�

9 �How are these things possible?� Nicodemus asked.

10 Jesus replied, �You are a respected Jewish teacher, and yet you don�t understand these things? 11 I assure you, we tell you what we know and have seen, and yet you won�t believe our testimony. 12 But if you don�t believe me when I tell you about earthly things, how can you possibly believe if I tell you about heavenly things? 13 No one has ever gone to heaven and returned. But the Son of Man[e] has come down from heaven. 14 And as Moses lifted up the bronze snake on a pole in the wilderness, so the Son of Man must be lifted up, 15 so that everyone who believes in him will have eternal life.[f]

16 �For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life. 17 God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him.

18 �There is no judgment against anyone who believes in him. But anyone who does not believe in him has already been judged for not believing in God�s one and only Son. 19 And the judgment is based on this fact: God�s light came into the world, but people loved the darkness more than the light, for their actions were evil. 20 All who do evil hate the light and refuse to go near it for fear their sins will be exposed. 21 But those who do what is right come to the light so others can see that they are doing what God wants.[g]

Greetings Sarita.

That is a nice passage, and it is a favorite to many Christians. There are several theological points in the verses, and so I am curious. Is there a single, major point that you are curious about?

I guess John 3:16 is my biggest question, when it says he is the Son of God and whoever believes in Him will have eternal life. How can you see that and go against it?

Edited by Sarita
BMZ View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2006 at 3:41am
"OK,

So the KVJ is a mistranslation?"

BMZ

Redneck View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2006 at 7:10pm

OK,

So the KVJ is a mistranslation?

BMZ View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2006 at 3:21pm

Dear brother Serv,

That was a masterpiece and you wrote it so well and qualified so well.

Had the Bible been translated in that style, there would, perhaps, not have been so much confusion at all.

Thanks for the comments and I enjoyed the "Nasikh" part. Yes, from our Christian brothers' point of view the entire Jewish Holy Scriptures, in fact, stand abrogated by the reported writers of the reported gospels. 

Best Regards

BMZ

Edited by bmzsp
Servetus View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Servetus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2006 at 12:22pm

Although the subject is complex, I tend, at this point, to agree with Reepicheep�s reading.  As I see it, the so-called �New� testament, when considered in total, seems a type of abrogation, or, in Islamic theological parlance, perhaps naskh, of the �Old� (see, e.g., Heb 9:16).  Thus, apparent contradictions between the Old and New testaments, between the received Torah of Moses and the reported Gospel of Jesus, might be both read and at least somewhat satisfactorily resolved in that light.  Paradox, as always with Christian doctrines, seems also to apply.  Consider that certain aspects of the law of Moses may have been (I won't say) abolished by having been, in the person and work of Christ, fulfilled.   

It might be further kept in mind that, again as I see it, in much the same way that Islam claims a lineage which predates Muhammad and harkens back to Abraham as its progenitor, so too in Christianity the �law� of Moses and its attendant priesthood (of Aaron) becomes superceded by its antecedent, that of Melchisadek, the King of Peace, to whom Abraham himself paid tithe (Gen 14:17-20).  To Christians there was, in sum, and as the writer of Hebrews (7:12) says, a change in the priesthood and thus also a corresponding change in the law (though the details of this change are argued to this day).

By the way, wine (alcohol) was prohibited in the �Old� testament to those who had taken the Nazarite vow, or who were �set apart� or consecrated to God for a particular purpose:

http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/view.jsp?artid=142&let ter=N

Over and out ...

Serv

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 13>
  Share Topic