IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Attacked in my sleep- Terrified.  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAttacked in my sleep- Terrified.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>
Author
Starter
Starter

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2006 at 8:50am

I used to have the same problem few times a week at least. Hasn't happened for some time now though.

I can relate exactly to what you have been experiencing. I don't think some of the scientific arguments are accurate in the context at least.

I say that because when I used to have these episodes, I used to recite the verses from the Holy Quran and as I did that, the "grip" got stronger....when I stopped it got "looser".

I can recall that at one point, I even got quite angry and forced my body to get up and face "it". I didn't have a problem after that....at least not for months.

The way I see it. I almost like facing these kind of things. This is because these "things" only serve to increase my faith in the Creator of all things. We can only ask for His protection and will He not protect one who asks for it?

ak_m_f View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2006 at 1:07pm
maybe you should stop smoking crack for a while.
schwester View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2006 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by foody foody wrote:

I would just like to point out that I too face this and not only that..but feel a hand scratching the back of my kneck and I force myself to wake up many many times but I am unable too wake up until finally the hand scratching at the back of my kneck stops then I can wake up. Sometimes I feel such horrible pressure on me and unable to move and open my eyes even though I am awake..

my god. what oyu're all talking about. more scaring than the Ring
mariyah View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2006 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by BlueSun BlueSun wrote:

Salaam everyone,

Looks like this discussion has drawn to a close, the questioner seems content with the answers she got, all bet somewhat vague in nature, and open to discussion.

I only have one thing to add

Angel wrote

�Little is known about the physiology of sleep paralysis. However, some have suggested that it may be linked to post-synaptic inhibition of motor neurons in the pons region of the brain. In particular, low levels of melatonin may stop the depolarization current in the nerves, which prevents the stimulation of the muscles.�

There is no definitive answer provided, only theories, and the quote above is only a possible chain of events not the cause, the cause lays somewhat deeper in mystery hence very difficult to explain, similar to schizophrenia.

Jazak-Allah Khare

Next topic - Quran, Science and Modern beliefs ?? how about it Angel ?

AS a night nurse ,I have seen this phenomena in patients, it is more commonly called night terrors. I pray for Allah to keep the person safe from the shaytan, and it usually stops it. My nursing assistants think I am crazy for quoting Bismallah before I go into each dark room, but the Jinn seem to like illness and places of illness! I am well educated and very modern, does this make me superstitious or just cautious?

Edited by Maryah
"Every good deed is charity whether you come to your brother's assistance or just greet him with a smile.
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2006 at 5:36am

There is a way to know if anything is in the room, have some animals in there and they soon will let you know.

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
ak_m_f View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2006 at 7:32am
Originally posted by Angel Angel wrote:

There is a way to know if anything is in the room, have some animals in there and they soon will let you know.

I prefer kpeeping a wild bear in the room, what about you Angel?
Megatron View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2006 at 12:02am
I don't understand it.  Angel gave a perfect description of the symptoms.  Sleep paralysis is a psychological phenomenon.  Yet so many people deny this perfectly good explanation.

I'm a Muslim but where does Islam tell you to be a big idiot denying the underlying cause of things and making up ridiculous stories?

Example, you're walking down the street and you trip on a rock and break your arm.  Are you gonna blame it on some Jinn that put the rock there and caused you to trip? Maybe some kids put it there...isn't that a more feasible explanation.

When one of my patients has a skin infection for example, I give him/her antibiotics.  I don't tell her that her infection is caused by a Jinn scratching at her skin and tell her to pray more to get rid of it. 

I'm not denying the power of prayer but as a Muslim you're supposed to can these dark-aged religious ideologies.  Embrace the truth.  This is a psychological phenomenon.  Curing ills require using that massive cranium Allah has given you by correcting the wrong and praying that your actions have worked.  

Anyway to the sister that had the problem, antidepressants have met some success in treating sleep paralysis.  Talk to your doctor if this is a feasible option.  If prayer alone works for you then by all means do it.  But don't believe these non-sensical stories about jinn, ghosts, leprachauns and unicorns causing problems.  Jeez!!!

Edited by Megatron
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2006 at 2:46am
Originally posted by ak_m_f ak_m_f wrote:

Originally posted by Angel Angel wrote:

I prefer kpeeping a wild bear in the room, what about you Angel?

lol!

Edited by Angel
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>
  Share Topic