IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Does Islam allow Surrogate mothers?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Does Islam allow Surrogate mothers?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 12>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mishmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2006 at 1:08pm

Assalamu Alaikum:

It wasn't a question of making sense, but rather what was the reasoning behind the prohibition.

At the time of the Prophet(PBUH), such science did not exist, so he did not forbid us from using surrogacy. So, when a Sheikh says something of this nature is forbidden in Islam, I like to know why. Especially since other methods of fertilization are allowed. 

Most importantly, all life is from Allah(SWT), so if a surrogate mother is used and the baby is born, this is from Allah(SWT). So I wished to see the actual daleel in this matter.  

The Sheikh stated: unnecessarily revealing your aura, which would be the case in surrogacy as well as fertilization treatment

Questionable paternity: which could  or could not be the case in surrogacy as well as fertilization treatments, since accidents happen and fertilizing the egg outside of the womb can always lead to an accident

Renting the womb: he gave this as a reason, and that it was a reprehensible act, but he gave no Islamic proof of such.

Without some sort of daleel, this would have been an opinion only. That is why the Ayat in the Quran was very important as it showed Islamically why this was not acceptable.

Salaams.

Edited by Mishmish
It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (The Little Prince)
Srya View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Srya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2006 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by Abeer23 Abeer23 wrote:

A man is not allowed to marry his wife's sister, so how can his sperm (or the product of it actually) go into her by halal?

A woman has to be married to the father of the baby she carries.  Men are not even allowed to divoce their wives if they're pregnant.  So how can she carry the child of a man she's never married and who marriage to him is haram.  

Having sex outside of marriage is zina, so what is it when a woman allows a man's sperm to enter her and he's not her husband?

Salaams

Reading what you put above..... has convinced me.

Abeer23 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abeer23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2006 at 1:17am
Originally posted by Suzanne Suzanne wrote:

A man is not allowed to marry his wife's sister, so how can his sperm (or the product of it actually) go into her by halal?

A woman has to be married to the father of the baby she carries.  Men are not even allowed to divoce their wives if they're pregnant.  So how can she carry the child of a man she's never married and who marriage to him is haram.  

Having sex outside of marriage is zina, so what is it when a woman allows a man's sperm to enter her and he's not her husband?

Salaams

Alahmdulila

herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2006 at 5:56am
Originally posted by Suzanne Suzanne wrote:

Salaams

Bismillah,

I don't want to unconvince you, but I want to state my thoughts.  For people who believe that blood transfusion is okay, I see no difference in that and the above procedure.  Blood from someone else is just as unusual of an idea for our beloved prophet's time as someone else's semen or baby.  These are scientifically valid procedures which are completely Islaamic.  There is absolutely no guidance on this in the Quraan or Hadith except applying the rules of common sense which Allah, SWT, has taught us in the Quran.

Peace

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
umsami View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote umsami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2006 at 1:01pm

Assalamu Alaikum:

You are very blessed to have such a Sister.  I don't know if it is allowed or not... nor do I claim to know.  I do know however that it is a blessing to adopt a child.  Yes, one must be careful about lineage, if one knows it... but other than that, it is considered a blessing.  I just want to let you know as somebody who was adopted (and whose brother was adopted as well)... there is no difference.  Giving birth does not make one a parent, it's everything that comes after.  Yeah, giving birth to my sons was fabulous... but it did not make me their mother.  It was taking care of them, laughing with them, teaching them, etc. that did that.  Pray about it.  Don't worry about not loving the child the same, or what not... once you hold him or her in your arms, that will be it. 

One can adopt from the States as well as abroad.  Kazakhstan is popular, China for girls, etc.  Do research on the countries to find out health issues.

Peace.

umsami View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote umsami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2006 at 5:33am

Assalamu Alaikum:

I'd also question if it is possible for your sister to donate eggs to you, but you carry the child.  Not knowing the cause of your infertility.... can't say...

Peace.

umsami View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote umsami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2006 at 5:49am

For the first and third, invitro fertilization has nothing to do with sex.  In fact, the sperm donor and the egg donor don't even have to see each other face to face.  There is no passion involved as well.  There is no lust.  *****edited*****

I did find an article that says IVF is OK as long as the eggs and donor sperm come from the married couple, which doesn't seem possible in this arrangement.  I'm wondering if the husband could take his wife's sister as a 2nd wife until the child is born? Not sure if that would be allowed or not from an Islamic standpoint.  Just wondering.

Edited by amah
amah View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2006 at 6:24am
Guideline no.12.
Materials that are explicit in nature, pertaining to sexuality will not be tolerated - even when the purpose is genuine. 

http://www.islamicity.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4589& ;PN=1

Allah is Sufficient as a Walee (Protector) and Allah is Sufficient as a Naseer (Helper).
(Surah An-Nisa, Chapter #4, Verse #45)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 12>
  Share Topic