IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why building a mosque near "ground zero" is bad  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why building a mosque near "ground zero" is bad

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5051525354 55>
Author
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2010 at 9:13pm
Kdreeze,

I agree with your post. Whether or not the American people really feel that building the mosque 600 feet from Ground Zero is "disgraceful" or a "slap in the face to people who still mourn from that terrible day," that is the impression that is being perceived.

And the more the Imam Rauf and the builders say they will not alter their plans and absolutely insist on building at 51 Park, the stronger that impression gets.

Larry
Gibbs View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gibbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2010 at 9:45pm
Larry the question was simple.

Religion has everything to do with how we view the world. If the Cordoba house was being built by Christians this would receive much less publicity. I ask you as a christian because perhaps your christian values can offer some sociopolitical insight to the dilemma

Edited by Gibbs - 28 October 2010 at 3:37pm
Reepicheep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reepicheep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2010 at 10:22am
Kdreeze wrote: But do you think that America and this whole debate could be easily settled if the decision was made to just not build the mosque?

That, I think, is the logical and morally correct solution to this problem. 

If, on the other hand, muslims instead choose to follow the illogical and morally incorrect solution of continuing to demand that the mosque be built, then I think that this will be revealing to us "kuffar" a very valuable lesson about how muslims think, and how kuffar can expect to be treated if muslims ever become the majority in the USA or Canada.

Edited by Reepicheep - 28 October 2010 at 10:23am
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2010 at 11:28am
".......If, on the other hand, Muslims instead choose to follow the illogical and morally incorrect ...."

A straw man argument if ever there were one; illogical and morally incorrect to who?  How about if homosexuals choose to follow an "illogical" and "morally incorrect" demand for the right to legally marry; should they ever become the majority in the USA or Canada what would that reveal?
By the way, "kuffar" in the way in which you are using the term is incorrect.  A "kuffar" is someone who knows and accepts Islam to be truth, yet follows another path anyway.  Those who have their own faiths, or haven't any knowledge of Islam, are simply - Jews, Christians, agnostic, or other, not kuffar.  Muslims proselytize, however there is no compulsion upon acceptance - fear not.
Reepicheep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reepicheep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2010 at 11:53am
abuayisha wrote: illogical and morally incorrect to who?

If you feel that the logical and morally correct thing to do is build the mosque, no matter what the consequences or how offensive non-muslims find the mosque to be, then I encourage you to do your best to build the mosque.

By building the mosque, muslims will be sending a very powerful message to non-muslims.  I encourage you to carefully reflect on whether that message portrays muslims and Islam in a positive or a negative light.

abuayisha wrote: kuffar is someone who knows and accepts Islam to be truth, yet follows another path anyway. 

I've been told many times, on muslim forums, that I "know" islam is true, yet I choose to ignore the truth and continue to be a Christian. 

I fail to understand the "logic" behind this claim.  Let's assume I "know" islam is true.  I therefore know that, by continuing to follow Christianity, I am condemning myself to an eternity in hell.  Why on earth would I, or any sane person, do such a thing???
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2010 at 1:53pm
"If you feel that the logical and morally correct thing to do is build the mosque, no matter what the consequences or how offensive non-muslims find the mosque to be..."

I must say Reepicheep, you certainly have a way with words.  Why speak in such absolute terms?  Why would you think all non-Muslims believe as you do?  Your rhetorical question is flawed.

"Why on earth would I, or any sane person, do such a thing???"

Good question Reepicheep.

Kdreeze View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kdreeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2010 at 3:34pm
I'm not going to lie, I know slim to nothing about the Islamic faith or what a "kuffer" still means. But I respect that faith just as much as I do any religion.

But why does the mosque being built have to be a religious debate too?
Lets take religion out of this whole equation and how much would the argument change? Would opposition increase or decrease?
Gibbs View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gibbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2010 at 3:40pm
I don't get this discussion you guys are having. What is the point?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5051525354 55>
  Share Topic