IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Is Islam true?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs Islam true?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 484950
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2006 at 9:16am

1) The "Prophet" contradicts many of the teachings of earlier prophets, eg the teaching of monogamy. A genuine prophet, because he speaks on behalf of God can develop but not contradict an earlier prophet's words. Why? Because God cannot change his mind or He is imperfect and not omniscient (all knowing). We remember, that Muhammad claimed that God changed his mind on which direction to pray to three times (Kabaa, Jerusalem, then the Kabaa again). Strange that.

Monogamy wasn't taught by earlier Prophets.  Jacob had Racheal and Leah, Abraham had Sarah and Hagar, both King David and King Solomon has mulitple wives and concubines.  Polygamy was practiced by the jews for centuries after Christ, even some Christians practiced polygamy in the early church. 

Now, I'm not Muslim.  I just wanted to point out the first contradiction you posted was not a contradiction.  Sorry.  And for Catholicism, there is alot taught by the Catholic Church that is their own creation.  Priestly celebacy, etc are evolutions in Christianity, not founded in scriptural evidence.

Melco View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2006 at 9:15am
Look forward to hearing convincing replies...
Melco View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2006 at 8:41am
I strongly believe that Islam isn't true for the following reasons (perhaps those who believe it is true can persuade me otherwise):

1) The "Prophet" contradicts many of the teachings of earlier prophets, eg the teaching of monogamy. A genuine prophet, because he speaks on behalf of God can develop but not contradict an earlier prophet's words. Why? Because God cannot change his mind or He is imperfect and not omniscient (all knowing). We remember, that Muhammad claimed that God changed his mind on which direction to pray to three times (Kabaa, Jerusalem, then the Kabaa again). Strange that.

2) It seems to focus on a God who is "all merciful", but it's followers are often unmerciful, eg Muhammad led a massacre in retaliation. Surely, Jesus teaching of turning the other cheek is more advanced, therefore, Muhammad is making a regressive change to an earlier prophet's teachings.

3) I don't buy the line that Jesus' true teaching was lost and the Gospel is in error. The Gospel was cross-checked by hundreds of witnesses, while the Qu'ran is dependent entirely on the religious experience of one man.

4) I have had many (what I consider) genuine religious experiences, which confirmed for me the truth of the Catholic faith. These contradict Muhammad's claims.

5) Many of the Qu'ran's lines look like paraphrases of the Bible's verses, which is immediately suspicious. The Qu'ran is an amalgamation of Judaic, Christian and Arabic Polytheistic and cultural ideas, therefore, it doesn't appear to spring from a pure source, a Divine Mind, ie God. There are too many references to theological disputes of the day to convince me otherwise than it all came from the mind of Muhammad, however poetic the words might have been. 

6) Islam don't seem to be open to honest critique in search of the truth for fear of being less than obedient, but in order for a religion to be rational, this must be allowed. Religious beliefs can't be self-contradictory.

7) Moses forbade making idols or gods out of people, but Muhammad is  being treated like this, as he is the only one, apart from God that one cannot make an image of. Last time I looked, Muslims had photos on their passports, this a complete contradiction.

8) There is no uniform belief system or singular authority in Islam. If it came from one God, there should be.

9) Why isn't Love promoted more highly in Islam? Why does justice or anger always get greater emphasis?

10) Why is there is still little prosperity in Muslim countries?

Many of these ideas have been said before (and there are many more I might mention), but how do Muslims respond in a rational way to these?

Edited by Melco
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 484950
  Share Topic