IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Isn't all religion a matter of opinion?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Isn't all religion a matter of opinion?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 13>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2014 at 7:06am
Originally posted by Ron Webb Ron Webb wrote:

Too many.  The root cause of religious (and yes, perhaps atheist too) violence is not the differences in dogma, but in the conviction among some adherents that their religious opinions, of which everyone is entitled to his/her own, are actual facts, which they believe entitles them to impose their beliefs on others -- by force, and lethal force if necessary.

There are plenty of people who have firm convictions but who don't feel the need to "force" them on anybody.  Your silly generalizations are nothing more than melodramatic rants.

I never claimed I could prove that "life just came out of nowhere."  I'm saying that it could have come out of nowhere.  (Perhaps. Wink)   I would also say that (Occam's Razor again) that is the simplest assumption, and therefore should be the default assumption unless we find evidence of some more complex answer; but the truth is, we don't know.  I don't know, and neither do you.

LOL Really?  The "simplest assumption" is that life came from nowhere, by accident, despite the fact that it is statistically impossible (or "improbable" Wink)?  The "simplest assumption" is that a DNA molecule formed spontaneously (despite the infinitesimally low chance of that happening) AND a DNA polymerase molecule also formed spontaneously at the same time (despite the infinitesimally low chance of that happening) AND a DNA ligase molecule also formed spontaneously at the same time (despite the infinitesimally low chance of that happening) , etc., etc.? 

My purpose here, as in so many other discussions we have had, is not to prove any particular position.  It is only to show that you cannot prove your assumptions -- not even the ones you hold so strongly that you regard them as facts.

The only problem is that proof has been provided.  You simply choose to dismiss it based on more assumptions. 

Not even Sheldon claimed that any individual "spark" is impossible.  He described them as "improbable", i.e. of low probability.  The odds of each of those "sparks" occurring in sequence is (roughly speaking) the product of those probabilities, which mathematically will not be zero.

The probability of these "improbable" sparks is infinitesimally low.  The universe simply does not have the "probabilistic resources" to allow even a simple protein to form spontaneously, let alone the larger, more complex proteins.  In other words, it is impossible.

Why do you say that it "cannot be present at the same time"?  What you mean is that it is highly improbable that they would be present at the same time.  But if the universe is infinite, then "highly improbable" times infinity equals infinity.  Like I said, that part of the math is simple.  So simple, even you should be able to understand it. Tongue

LOL You still haven't proven that the universe is "infinite", you ninny!  Your entire premise is nothing more than a non-sequitur. 

Even if the universe was "infinite", the probability for each specific molecule needed for DNA replication to form simultaneously would still be infinitesimally low.  So, even if by some miracle, a DNA molecule was able to form spontaneously, you would also need a number of other complex molecules (DNA polymerase, ligase etc.) to form as well to allow for the replication of DNA.  Otherwise, the DNA molecule would disintegrate. 

And yes, if the universe is infinite, then on some planet there is an exact replica of the Statue of Liberty, carved out of a rock by natural erosion.  In fact, there would be an infinite number of planets with such statues.  It's not impossible -- just highly unlikely.  But "highly unlikely" times infinity is still infinity.

Huh?!  So, this is your "simplest explanation", eh?  An "infinite" universe where there are an "infinite" number of statues magically "carved out of a  rock by natural erosion"? Confused

Are there also an "infinite" number of Ron Webbs in your "infinite" universe?  If so, then God help us all! Big%20smile
Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2014 at 11:55am
Originally posted by Caringheart Caringheart wrote:

Do we really?
We know how to explain how these things happen...
but who makes, or made, the laws that make them happen?

You want to play the child's game of asking "why?" after every explanation, until the teacher or the parent gives up in frustration and just says "I don't know" or "Because I said so!"

Yes, we really do know why the sky is blue.  It's due to Rayleigh scattering of light in the atmosphere.  Why does Rayleigh scattering occur?  It's because air molecules have magnetic properties and can resonate with the photons of light, and this resonance is strongest for short wavelengths at the blue end of the spectrum.  Why do air molecules have magnetic properties?  Because (starting to sweat a bit here) atoms are made up of negatively charged electrons orbiting a positively charged nucleus.  Why are electrons negatively charged?  Well, umm, for that you need to understand the Standard Model of particle physics.  What is the Standard Model?  I don't know!  Go do your homework! LOL

I don't mind when children play that game.  It's good for them to ask questions, and important for them (and us) to understand that we don't know everything and never will.  There will always be another "why?" question, and that's what makes science so exciting.

However, I do mind when theologians play the game, because for them it's the "God of the gaps" game.  Anything that science can't (yet) explain is automatically attributed to God -- as if that were some kind of explanation.  But it's not.  "Because God said so!" is no more rational than "because I said so!"  

God is not an explanation for anything.  It is a placeholder for a missing explanation.  Worse, it is an attempt to shut down rational discussion and a warning not to ask further questions.  A child who persists with "Why does God say so?" or "Why does God exist?" or even "Why should we care what God says?" is apt to be sent to his room without supper.

Sorry for the rant, and I hope you don't take it personally; but I have to say that I am annoyed when theologians pretend that religion is a source of wisdom.  Religion adds nothing to our understanding of the universe.  It only gives a name to our ignorance.  That name is God.
Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2014 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by islamispeace islamispeace wrote:

Even if the universe was "infinite", the probability for each specific molecule needed for DNA replication to form simultaneously would still be infinitesimally low.

If the universe is not infinite, then how big do you think it is, and why?  Also, what do you mean by "infinitesimally low"?
Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2014 at 12:29pm

You want to play the child's game of asking "why?" after every explanation, until the teacher or the parent gives up in frustration and just says "I don't know" or "Because I said so!"

Yes, we really do know why the sky is blue.  It's due to Rayleigh scattering of light in the atmosphere.  Why does Rayleigh scattering occur?  It's because air molecules have magnetic properties and can resonate with the photons of light, and this resonance is strongest for short wavelengths at the blue end of the spectrum.  Why do air molecules have magnetic properties?  Because (starting to sweat a bit here) atoms are made up of negatively charged electrons orbiting a positively charged nucleus.  Why are electrons negatively charged?  Well, umm, for that you need to understand the Standard Model of particle physics.  What is the Standard Model?  I don't know!  Go do your homework! LOL

Hi Ron,

hehehe - I enjoyed your reply.
It's not because "God said so", but simply because someone had to create these things.  Smile  There had to be some beginning, some concept, some design, some artist, doing the creating.  No work of art ever created itself.  Smile

I don't mind when children play that game.  It's good for them to ask questions, and important for them (and us) to understand that we don't know everything and never will.  There will always be another "why?" question, and that's what makes science so exciting.

However, I do mind when theologians play the game, because for them it's the "God of the gaps" game.  Anything that science can't (yet) explain is automatically attributed to God -- as if that were some kind of explanation.  But it's not.  "Because God said so!" is no more rational than "because I said so!"  

God is not an explanation for anything.  It is a placeholder for a missing explanation. 

Yes, it is true.... there are things we do not know... will never know unless and until we meet the Maker.  Smile

I agree with both things you said here, adding that...

12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

but also;

19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.

20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead

Worse, it is an attempt to shut down rational discussion and a warning not to ask further questions.  A child who persists with "Why does God say so?" or "Why does God exist?" or even "Why should we care what God says?" is apt to be sent to his room without supper.

Here, I disagree.  I don't think it is an 'attempt to shut down discussion'.  In fact, I feel it only serves to stimulate discussion, and seeking for the Truth.
Yes, I have frustrated people with these questions all my life... even myself...  never got sent to my room without supper though.  Big%20smile

Sorry for the rant, and I hope you don't take it personally; but I have to say that I am annoyed when theologians pretend that religion is a source of wisdom.  Religion adds nothing to our understanding of the universe.  It only gives a name to our ignorance.  That name is God.

Here again I have to disagree.
It is a source of Wisdom, but only as long as we are careful to discern.  Smile

Edited by Caringheart - 01 October 2014 at 1:11pm
Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
islamispeace View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2014 at 12:44pm

Even if the universe was "infinite", the probability for each specific molecule needed for DNA replication to form simultaneously would still be infinitesimally low.

If the universe is not infinite, then how big do you think it is, and why?  Also, what do you mean by "infinitesimally low"?

You keep dancing around this issue.  I am asking you to prove that the universe is "infinite" and you respond by asking me how big I think the universe is.  It seems to me that you are just taking it on faith that the universe must be "infinite".  Well, well.  so atheists also rely on faith! Wink

Regarding what I mean by "infinitesimally low", even staunch chance-riding scientists think that a simple protein has about 10^40 chance of spontaneously forming, though they try to "quicken" the process by assuring us that there would be "billions" of "trials" happening simultaneously. LOL

So, just for the simplest protein, the chances are extremely remote.  When you start talking about more complex proteins, well...you get the idea.  
Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2014 at 4:00pm
Let's summarize the facts:

Christians and Muslim argue(d) on the basis of their preferred book that the world was created in 6 Days - Wrong
Both thought that the earth was at the center of the Universe: Wrong
Both thought that man (and women) were made (by God) out of funny materials: Wrong
Both think/thought that Noah's Ark existed: Wrong

And as soon as the conflicts becomes obvious, interpretations get shifted into the "metaphoric" regime.

Keep on shifting!

Airmano

Edited by airmano - 01 October 2014 at 4:03pm
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2014 at 5:16pm

You keep dancing around this issue.  I am asking you to prove that the universe is "infinite" and you respond by asking me how big I think the universe is.  It seems to me that you are just taking it on faith that the universe must be "infinite".  Well, well.  so atheists also rely on faith!

I'm not the one doing the dancing.  I've never suggested that the universe being infinite is anything more than speculation, and I just finished telling you that "My purpose here, as in so many other discussions we have had, is not to prove any particular position."

There is no end to the spatial extent of the universe as far as we can observe, and no theoretical reason to suppose that there is an end.  Following the principle of Occam's Razor, then, the simpler assumption is that it has no end.  But I can't prove it, of course.

Now your turn.  For about the third time: How big do you think the universe is, and why?  I'm not asking for proof -- just your opinion.

Quote Regarding what I mean by "infinitesimally low", even staunch chance-riding scientists think that a simple protein has about 10^40 chance of spontaneously forming, though they try to "quicken" the process by assuring us that there would be "billions" of "trials" happening simultaneously.

So, just for the simplest protein, the chances are extremely remote.  When you start talking about more complex proteins, well...you get the idea.

No, the source you just quoted goes on to say:

"In fact, if we assume the volume of the oceans were 10^24 liters, and the amino acid concentration was 10^-6M (which is actually very dilute), then almost 10^31 self-replicating peptides would form in under a year, let alone millions of years. So, even given the difficult chances of 1 in 10^40, the first stages of abiogenesis could have started very quickly indeed."

That's 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 successes, not just trials, per year.  And that's the simplest self-replicating protein, by the way, not just the simplest protein.  Which matters, because once we have a self-replicating structure, the principles of natural selection can begin to guide further complexity, so the process is no longer totally random.
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2014 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by Caringheart Caringheart wrote:

It's not because "God said so", but simply because someone had to create these things.  Smile  There had to be some beginning, some concept, some design, some artist, doing the creating.  No work of art ever created itself.

Why must there be a beginning?  And even if there were, how does the God hypothesis help?  Doesn't it just add an extra layer of complexity and shift the question from "what created the universe?" to "what created God?"

Quote Here, I disagree.  I don't think it is an 'attempt to shut down discussion'.  In fact, I feel it only serves to stimulate discussion, and seeking for the Truth.

Well, for instance, millions of people refuse even to look at the evidence for evolution, let alone have it taught in their schools, because the Bible or the Quran already gives them the "answer".

Quote Here again I have to disagree.
It is a source of Wisdom, but only as long as we are careful to discern.

All I can say is that I grew up as a Christian , but I never learned anything from religion that I couldn't have figured out with a few minutes of meditation or a chat with my Dad.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 13>
  Share Topic