IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Muhammad as a partner with Allah  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Muhammad as a partner with Allah

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 28>
Author
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akhe Abdullah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2009 at 6:39am
Salams,Hasan May Allah Bless you and May Allah Bless the rest of our brothers and sisters who continue to fight the falsehoods.
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2009 at 8:27am
It's hard to believe that every one of Muhammad's many battles was in self-defense; but if so, I think you need to ask yourself why he needed to defend himself so much.  Why was a supposedly peaceful man was so widely hated in the region?

Ron: hew was not "hated" in the region.. goodness heavens.. Lots of people who say the truth are hated.. that is st**id to make. People who question the status quo are at risk. You think Jesus (PBUH) was beloved by people who ruled? Think like whistle blowers.. etc. If you threaten peoples' control and power. It was not regional, it was local.. local with the Quereshi.

And how many battles do you think he fought? Dude you just like ot argue.. with no facts in mind.
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2009 at 8:11am

Originally posted by Chrysalis Chrysalis wrote:

So its rather unfair if later on you add your own interpretation to the Qur'an by saying that some verses of the Qur'an do not fall under the criteria of "Timeless". Because in that case, the discussion is over before it even starts - since all the verses in the Qur'an which do order us to follow Prophet Muhammad are considered null & void by you. (under the claim of obsoletion)

This whole discussion is about interpretation, yours and mine.  I guess it would be unfair if I were arbitrarily saying that certain verses are obsolete just to make my theory work.  But I'm not doing that.  Allah makes it very clear that Muhammad was just a man, not a god; so I think it's perfectly reasonable to assume that Allah intended us to "obey the Messenger" as a man, not a god.  There is no other man whose commands continue to be obeyed long after his death.  If Allah had intended otherwise for Muhammad, He would have said so very explicitly.

Quote The examples of verses that you provided, (Mothers of the Faithful) - do not prove the obsoletion of verses, rather they simply prove that the application & purpose of these verses is different. As explained in the previous post, no point repeating.

I agree that "obsolete" may be the wrong word.  I have said from the beginning that while "obey the Messenger" might have included the command to his contemporaries to accept him as their leader, the application of that command is different for us.  We can no longer look to him for leadership because he is dead, but we can still obey him by obeying his message.

Quote But - For the sake of the argument, even if I do (nauzubillah) agree that this verse is now obsolete, and so is the "Obey the Messenger" verse - what about the numerous other verses which say the same thing? Are all those verses obsolete too ?

Not necessarily obsolete, but applied differently as I said above.  If obeying the messenger means obeying the Message, then it is worth repeating for emphasis.

Quote 3:81 And  when Allah took the covenant of the prophets, [saying], "Whatever I give you of the Scripture and wisdom and then there comes to you a messenger confirming what is with you, you [must] believe in him and support him." [Allah] said, "Have you acknowledged and taken upon that My commitment?" They said, "We have acknowledged it." He said, "Then bear witness, and I am with you among the witnesses."

If Prophet Muhammad was only for his contemporaries, then why were the Prophets before his time asked to "believe" in him?

Believe that he was coming, of course.  Certainly not to believe in his hadith, which didn't even exist yet.  And by the way, once again we see a reference to "the Scripture and Wisdom", and clearly here "wisdom" does not refer to the hadith.  The Scripture is wisdom.

Quote Also note the reference of Allah to "the worlds". He was intended as a Mercy to the worlds, excluding his future ummah?

Well, obviously excluding everyone before Muhammad's time, so why not after as well?  That's one of the unanswered questions about all prophetic religions: why would God allow the world to muddle along for thousands of years before deciding to reveal his "timeless" wisdom?

Quote 53:3-4: Nor does he say (aught) of (his own) Desire. It is no less than inspiration sent down to him.

33:47: And one who invites to Allah, by His permission, and an illuminating lamp.

Clearly Prophet Muhammad did not say anything of his own accord, it was all by Allah's Permission - according to His Divine Wisdom.

Sura 53:3-4 keeps getting quoted out of context, and I keep having to remind Muslims (who surely ought to know this!) that Sura 53 is the story of the revelation of the Quran.  Muhammad did not say anything "of his own desire" when reciting the Quran.  To suppose that he never said anything of his own desire in his entire life is frankly demeaning -- it makes Muhammad into some kind of automaton, not a real man but a mere machine with no free will at all.

Quote Allah is very clear about Shirk and how it is abhorred in Islam. If giving Prophet Muhammad the due respect he deserves was anywhere near "Shirk" - The above verse would never have been revealed. Nor would He have revealed the several other verses which exalt Prophet Muhammad to the status that we give him today.

"Due respect" is fine.  To me, shirk is about attributing to him power and authority equivalent to a God.  That is what "setting up partners" implies to me, and what I think shirk warns us against.

Quote Also, I dont see how being a 'subset' of Allah's Authority makes him a Jr partner? Allah delegates authority to people all the time. Parents have authority over their children - Islamically. Allah commands us to obey our Parents in the Qur'an, thus when we obey our parents we indirectly (or directly?) obey Allah.

But that delegated authority is not the same as Allah's authority.  It is always limited to specific people and specific times, and it never extends beyond the authority's lifetime.  Moreover, there is no suggestion of infallibility.  Parents are sometimes wrong, as we all know.  If you believed that Muhammad's authority is/was like that, then I agree that would not be shirk.

Quote You seem to be switching tone and previously held stances.
Usually you seem to take a rational approach rather than "stereotyping", yet now you insinuate that "violent protests" are something common to the Muslim world. Such behaviors exist in almost all societies. Considering that Canada is a relatively small population, unplagued with external political problems does not make it a very good example for lack of violent protests.

Let me assure you that Canada has its share of political problems, both internal and external (try living with the U.S. as your next-door neighbour!).  We even have the occasional armed standoff with our aboriginal population (rarely -- maybe half a dozen or so that I can think of in the past few decades).  But in my entire lifetime I can recall only one incident that could be described as a "violent protest" (the FLQ crisis in Quebec).  I can also assure you that violent protest over some silly cartoons or a book of fiction is so far beyond our imagining that it would be ridiculous if it weren't so tragic.  IMHO it takes a special kind of insanity that can only be induced by religion.  (But we're way off topic.)

Quote Allow me to clarify my point, Just like you cannot use your own intellect & conscience when it comes to customizing matters regarding secular constitutions and laws, you cannot use it to customize religion. Otherwise everybody would be "customizing away" in the name of diversity to suit their vested interests. Hence a standard is required - which allows you to "celebrate your diversity" within certain accepted bounds.

Right.  That standard, the "constitution" as you call it, is the Quran.  The details of how we want to live according to that standard, the "laws", are collectively agreed upon by people, using their intellect and conscience to conform with current circumstances.  Muslims want to live according to laws that were formulated in the seventh century.  It just doesn't work, as we see over and over again in fundamentalist Muslim countries.

Quote And is it really that hard to follow the "message" or "legacy" that someone left behind after their death ? Some people can continue to "lead" and "guide" people with the work they leave behind even after their death. Malcolm X, Martin Luther King, Susan B Anthony etc. They are a guidance and inspiration to many. It is possible to be inspired by, and follow the legacy of a dead person. People do that all the time.

Again, guidance and inspiration are fine, but Malcolm X etc. are no longer anybody's leader, and nobody (I hope) would argue that we have to do something just because they did it.

Quote Thanks, I am trying WordPad today, I hope it works - or all my fancy bolds, italics and underlines shall go to waste :(

That's okay, fancy formatting is overrated anyway; but note that you can add italics and bold with BBCode.   (If I had time I would open a separate topic on this.)

Quote Summary: during a local rabies epidemic, all dogs in Medinah (i think) were asked to be killed (or should I say euthanized?) except for the tame working dogs, (perhaps because they had no contact with the rabid ones?).
The order was later repealed, (perhaps because rabies was no longer a serious issue since contaminated dogs were killed?).

You assume that it was repealed, but where is the hadith that repealed it?  Was it lost?

Quote If I have time later, I shall post the process of Ahadith collection.

I don't think that would help.  The process can only work for hadith that are known.  It can't do anything about hadith that no one collected.  Such as for instance the hadith that presumably abrogated the command to kill dogs.

Quote Well yes, Prophet Muhammad did accomplish his job, because he did show us how to implement Allah's message as well as deliver it. But do you think that the Message was eternal, yet its implementation was not?

Yes I do.  Islam was fully implemented within Muhammad's lifetime.  There is a big difference between implementing a new religion and teaching it to individuals.

Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2009 at 8:23pm

Originally posted by honeto honeto wrote:

I get the feeling that you are trying to prove that you don't live in the real world. Look, what you see today, the past was not much different. If the strongest or the most powerful ones see someone threatening, what do they do?

Well, in Muhammad's time, it may have been considered acceptable for them to have their enemies assassinated.  Today that is frowned upon.  Luckily, the rich and powerful now have recourse to high-priced lawyers or mass media smear campaigns instead.

Quote But anyway what that has to do with the topic?

Nothing really, but people keep asking me what's wrong with using Muhammad as a role model in the twenty-first century, and I felt that I couldn't avoid the question any longer.

Originally posted by Hayfa Hayfa wrote:

And how many battles do you think he fought? Dude you just like ot argue.. with no facts in mind.

Wikipedia lists 35 of them.  It also says: "The sum total of all casualties on all sides in all the battles of Muhammad range from 1200 to 1500 dead according to the most authoritative sources."

Edited by Ron Webb - 12 December 2009 at 8:24pm
honeto View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2009 at 8:40pm
Ron,
again I must say, you don't live in the real world. You live in a world of your own, and that's fine, you are not alone. You will find many friends who can share with you that trade.
How one country's leader is chased and hanged for allegedly killing innocent people while another country's leader orders and kills millions of innocent people in other countries and live a guilt free life.
But you will never get it my friend, because you, like I have said proved so far to have been living in your own world, you cannot bear to live by one standard or truth.
So keep on.... dear.
Hasan

Edited by honeto - 12 December 2009 at 8:43pm
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

truthnowcome View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truthnowcome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2009 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by Ron Webb Ron Webb wrote:

Quote 3:81 And  when Allah took the covenant of the prophets, [saying], "Whatever I give you of the Scripture and wisdom and then there comes to you a messenger confirming what is with you, you [must] believe in him and support him." [Allah] said, "Have you acknowledged and taken upon that My commitment?" They said, "We have acknowledged it." He said, "Then bear witness, and I am with you among the witnesses."

If Prophet Muhammad was only for his contemporaries, then why were the Prophets before his time asked to "believe" in him?

Believe that he was coming, of course.  Certainly not to believe in his hadith, which didn't even exist yet.  And by the way, once again we see a reference to "the Scripture and Wisdom", and clearly here "wisdom" does not refer to the hadith.  The Scripture is wisdom.

Ron it was already proven:

Commenting on the above verses Imaam ash-Shaafi'ee's said: "Allah has mentioned that 'the book' (Al-Kitaab) which is the Quran and he mentioned 'The wisdom' (al- Hikmah) and I have learnt from the people of knowledgr that  'al- hikmah' is the Sunnah of Allah's Messenger (S). And it is from the mercy of Allah (S) that He sent to us a way of practice what is in the Quran."  (Shaafe�ee, Resaala page 44-45; Sibaa�ee, As-Sunnah page 50)

The Prophet (S) conforms it when he said: �Varily I was sent with the Quran an something similar to it ( the sunnah).� (Ahmad 4/131)

You see that now? Those statements conforms �both� the Qur�an and the Sunnah are Revelations from Allah (S).

After mentioning that, let us look at this verse: Q.16:44 (Y. Ali) (We sent them) with Clear Signs and Scriptures; and We have sent down unto thee (also) the Message; that thou mayest explain clearly to men what is sent for them, and that they may give thought.

Bialbayyinati waalzzuburi waanzalna ilayka alththikra litubayyina lilnnasi ma nuzzila ilayhim walaAAallahum yatafakkaroona Q.16:44 (Y. Ali)

بِالْبَيِّنَاتِ وَالزُّبُرِ وَأَنزَلْنَا إِلَيْكَ الذِّكْرَ لِتُبَيِّنَ لِلنَّاسِ مَا نُزِّلَ إِلَيْهِمْ وَلَعَلَّهُمْ يَتَفَكَّرُونَ (16:44)

The word there is �Dhikr� means �reminder� and is miss translate as Qur�an some time. The Scholars of the salaaf explained that when Allah (S) used the term �Dhikr (reminder)� He Allah (S) is referring to �both� the Quran and Sunnah because both are �Reminder� and it (alkitaba waalhikmata / The Book and the wisdom) came from Allah (S) so both are revelations. They agreed that the best translation should be �Revelations�. Above it is translates as �The Message� which also mean both the Quran and the Sunnah because both are messages from Allah (S).

And Allah (S) said: �We have, without doubt, sent down the Message; and We will assuredly guard it (from corruption).� Q.15:9 (Y. Ali)

Inna nahnu nazzalna alththikra wainna lahu lahafithoona Q.15:9

إِنَّا نَحْنُ نَزَّلْنَا الذِّكْرَ وَإِنَّا لَهُ لَحَافِظُونَ (15:9)

Both the Qur�an and Sunnah are guarded!

Now that we understood that both are revelations from Allah (S) look what Allah (S) instructed the Prophet (S) to do, read:And we have revealed the Book (al-kitaab) unto thee only that thou mayst "explain" unto them that wherein they differ, and (as) a guidance and a mercy for a people who believe.�  Q.16:64

In the above verse Allah (S) only mentioned �the Book (al-kitaab)� and he said: �we have revealed the Book (al-kitaab) unto thee only that thou mayst "explain" unto them that wherein they differ��

Who has to explain the Qur�an? The Messenger (S)! And what is the explanation of the Qur�an? The Sunnah! Allah described it as the �Wisdom� of the Qur�an: �Do not treat Allah's Signs as a jest, but solemnly rehearse Allah's favours on you, and the fact that He sent down to you the Book and Wisdom, for your instruction. And fear Allah, and know that Allah is well acquainted with all things. Q.2:231 (Y. Ali)

In this verse it reads: (We sent them) with Clear Signs and Scriptures; and We have sent down unto thee (also) the Message; that thou mayest explain� clearly to men what is sent for them, and that they may give thought. Q.16:44 (Y. Ali)

That would mean: Qur�an explain Qu�ran, Sunnah explain Qur�an and Sunnah explain sunnah; and because both are revelations from Allah (S) He said: �He who obeys the Messenger, obeys Allah. But if any turn away, We have not sent thee to watch over their (evil deeds).� 4:80 (Y. Ali)

You see my friend according to the above verse obeying the messenger is not shirk!

It mentioned in Q.3:31 (Y. Ali) Say: "If ye do love Allah, Follow me: Allah will love you and forgive you your sins: For Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful."

It Mentioned in Q.4:59 (Y. Ali) O ye who believe! Obey Allah, and obey the Messenger, and those charged with authority among you. If ye differ in anything among yourselves, refer it to Allah and His Messenger, if ye do believe in Allah and the Last Day: That is best, and most suitable for final determination.

In that verse, you see the verb (obey)? It applies only to Allah and the Messenger (S) not the people of authority, Allah (S) and the Messenger (S) is to be Obey at all times: �It is not fitting for a Believer, man or woman, when a matter has been decided by Allah and His Messenger to have any option about their decision: if any one disobeys Allah and His Messenger, he is indeed on a clearly wrong Path�. Q.33:36 (Y. Ali). However, the people of authority does not have to be obey at all times because if they go against Qur�an and sunnah we can disobey them and that is because Allah (S) did not say obey the people of authority, instead he said: ��and� those with authority�.

Note: The people of authority are the scholars!

THE WARNING: If anyone contends with the Messenger even after guidance has been plainly conveyed to him, and follows a path other than that becoming to men of Faith, We shall leave him in the path he has chosen, and land him in Hell,- what an evil refuge! Q.4:115 (Y. Ali)

But no, by the Lord, they can have no (real) Faith, until they make thee judge in all disputes between them, and find in their souls no resistance against Thy decisions, but accept them with the fullest conviction. Q. 4:65 (Y. Ali)

Remember I�ve showed you that the �Wisdom (Hikma)� is the sunnah that came down from Allah (S)? Look what He Allah (S) says here: He granteth wisdom to whom He pleaseth; and he to whom wisdom is granted receiveth indeed a benefit overflowing; but none will grasp the Message but men of understanding.� 2:269 (Y. Ali)

Yutee alhikmata man yashao waman yuta alhikmata faqad ootiya khayran katheeran wama yaththakkaru illa oloo alalbabi

When He Allah (S) said: �He granteth wisdom to whom He pleaseth� It is not our wisdom (Hikma), it is the Hikma of the Messenger (S) which is the Sunnah which is the explanation of the Qur�an or the understanding the Qur�an. And the one who receive the wisdom (Hikma) is he who understood the Quran and sunnah and implement it: (and he to whom wisdom is granted receiveth indeed a benefit overflowing).

Br. Zainool

LET'S SET THE RECORD STRAIGHT ONCE AND FOR ALL...NO MORE LIES!
Meditations View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meditations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2009 at 9:37am
Originally posted by Ron Webb Ron Webb wrote:

I'm sorry for taking so long to reply to you, Meditations.  The fact is that it is getting close to Christmas, and family matters are taking up most of my time.  I have been assembling the reply below in spare moments over the past week, but I may not have time for detailed responses in the future:

No need to be sorry for that, I'm taking too long to reply to you myself
Have had several posts open on the computer for several weeks 
Been busy with vacations and lots of traveling, which I'm still doing
will try to reply later

I hope when it gets quite for you that you find time to get some more information about basics of Islamic theology, Basics of legislations ( Usul el Feqh )
I find that of many of the things you oppose, or trying to 'warn' us against , we actually don't do , it's many times a matter of difference in wordings/definitions rather than actual difference in thought

We have some main differences as well of course

Happy holidays

Regards  
He said : My Lord, Open for me my heart, And make easy my mission , And release the knot of my tongue, So they understand my words . Surat AtTur ( 20 ) : 25-28
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2009 at 6:56pm

Originally posted by truthnowcome truthnowcome wrote:

Ron it was already proven:

Yes, and I responded to your "proof" by explaining that it wasn't a proof at all.  Simply repeating the same claims doesn't make them any more valid.

Quote "Varily I was sent with the Quran an something similar to it ( the sunnah)."

You can't use the hadith to prove the validity of the hadith.  Clearly any hadith that claims to offer "something similar" to the Quran is fabricated because the Quran itself makes it clear in several places (2:23, 10:38, 52:34) that the Quran has no equal.

Quote "(We sent them) with Clear Signs and Scriptures; and We have sent down unto thee (also) the Message; that thou mayest explain clearly to men what is sent for them..."

The first clause says that Allah sent "clear signs and scriptures" to them, i.e., earlier prophets.  The second clause says that the Message (the Quran) was sent to Muhammad to explain (again) God's will.

Quote "we have revealed the Book (al-kitaab) unto thee only that thou mayst explain unto them that wherein they differ�"

This passage states that the Quran is given to Muhammad as the explanation of "that wherein they differ", in other words where they have gone astray from God's will (as given to them many times in the past via Adam, Abraham, Moses, etc.).

Quote The word there is �Dhikr� means �reminder� and is miss translate as Qur�an some time.

It's not a mistranslation.  The Quran is a "reminder" because God's will has been sent down many times before, but the people have forgotten it.

Quote "O ye who believe! Obey Allah, and obey the Messenger, and those charged with authority among you.

As I have already explained, this verse actually supports my position better than yours.  First of all, it most certainly does tell us to obey those in authority. (At least it does in English, anyway, and I can't imagine how it could be otherwise in Arabic.)  The second verb "obey" has a compound object ("Muhammad and those charged with authority"), and therefore the verb applies equally to both sides of the conjunction "and".

Moreover, I thnk it is crucial that the word "obey" is repeated twice: once just for Allah, and a second time for Muhammad and other authorities.  This suggests to me that there is one kind of obedience reserved just for Allah, and a second kind of obedience that is due to "Muhammad and those charged with authority among you".

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 28>
  Share Topic