IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Isn't all religion a matter of opinion?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Isn't all religion a matter of opinion?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2014 at 7:05am
Islamispeace:
Quote The universe is 14 billion years old. The probability of DNA or even a protein molecule forming spontaneously would require much more time than that.
Admittedly we have no clear idea yet on how life formed in the first place but simply looking at the likelihood that a full blown DNA strand forms out of a soup of aminoacids is of course mathematically so unlikely that even at the given age of the universe it is unlikely to happen... The calculation is actually a rather simple math exercise. Unfortunately this is a common but yet naive view on this matter. Clearly did neither the cell nor the DNA just drop out of the sky (or the ocean).  It is almost certain that DNA in its modern form did not form spontaneously but evolved out of more "primitive" structures (which themselves did however form spontaneously at a given point).

The fact that we do not know( yet?) how life formed in detail does by far not mean that we have no theories and if you did a little bit of googling you'd find plenty of them, like: this one.
Unfortunately you're riding the typical line of attack: Using things that we don't know yet(?) to put The god of the gaps in place. It is however clear for any alerted reader that this is measure of despair.  It is like the ever repeated nonsensical argument that a tornado can't build an airplane. Sure it can't - but Darwins theory of evolution can - like it or not - concisely explain why life (once formed) evolved!
It takes however some efforts to understand it and this is exactly why not many are willing to do it, especially when it tends to threaten their cosy view on the world.

Airmano

Edited by airmano - 29 September 2014 at 1:55pm
TG12345 View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2014 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by Abu Loren Abu Loren wrote:

Originally posted by Ron Webb Ron Webb wrote:

But isn't all religion a matter of opinion, pretty much by definition?  I mean, religion is a matter of faith, not fact.  Muslims believe one thing, Christians another, Hindus something else.  However strongly they might believe, none of them can prove their beliefs.

Yes I agree with you. However where truth and falsehood can be deciphered is in True statements that are contained in the Qur'an. For example, it is the only scripture where it states that the creation of the heavens and the earth is a sign that God Almighty exists. So for a non believer this won't be understood even the Christians and the Hindu's etc.

Salaam Alaikum, Abu Loren.

I agree with you that the very existence of the natural world is a sign of God's existence, but the Quran is not the only scripture that states this.

Psalm 19:1-6

The heavens declare the glory of God,
    and the sky abovea]">[a] proclaims his handiwork.
Day to day pours out speech,
    and night to night reveals knowledge.
There is no speech, nor are there words,
    whose voice is not heard.
Their voiceb]">[b] goes out through all the earth,
    and their words to the end of the world.
In them he has set a tent for the sun,
    which comes out like a bridegroom leaving his chamber,
    and, like a strong man, runs its course with joy.
Its rising is from the end of the heavens,
    and its circuit to the end of them,
    and there is nothing hidden from its heat.

Although I have no doubt of the fact that God exists, I am also aware of the fact that both the authors of the Quran and Bible made some mistakes when they wrote these books, and some of the mistakes were attributed to Him.

Examples from the Bible would include Jesus allegedly saying that the mustard seed is the smallest of all seeds, or that rabbits chew their cud. Mistakes from the Quran would include that the minimum period of gestation is 6 months, or that there was a long-reigning Pharaoh who believed he was the only god his people knew.
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2014 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by airmano airmano wrote:

Admittedly we have no clear idea yet on how life formed in the first place but simply looking at the likelihood that a full blown DNA strand forms out of a soup of aminoacids is of course mathematically so unlikely that even at the given age of the universe it is unlikely to happen... The calculation is actually a rather simple math exercise.

Umm, no, it's not a simple math exercise at all.  I asked islamispeace how big Stephen Meyer thinks the universe is, and didn't get an answer.  The fact is that one knows, but this bit of information is crucial in estimating the likelihood of a spontaneous formation of the building blocks of life somewhere in the universe by purely random chance.

As I said, if the universe is truly infinite, then it doesn't matter how incredibly unlikely a given event might be.  As long as something is even theoretically possible, then in an infinite universe it has happened not just once but an infinite number of times.  Actually, that much is simple math.

By the way, let's not confuse the observable universe with the actual universe.  Just because we can only see about 46 billion light years (limited by the speed of light and the expansion of spacetime) is no reason to assume that the universe ends there.  We just don't know, but Occam's Razor says that if we have no evidence that it ends, then we should probably assume that it doesn't.

Edited by Ron Webb - 29 September 2014 at 4:38pm
Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
TG12345 View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2014 at 5:08pm

Originally posted by airmano airmano wrote:

Admittedly we have no clear idea yet on how life formed in the first place but simply looking at the likelihood that a full blown DNA strand forms out of a soup of aminoacids is of course mathematically so unlikely that even at the given age of the universe it is unlikely to happen... The calculation is actually a rather simple math exercise.

Umm, no, it's not a simple math exercise at all.  I asked islamispeace how big Stephen Meyer thinks the universe is, and didn't get an answer.  The fact is that one knows, but this bit of information is crucial in estimating the likelihood of a spontaneous formation of the building blocks of life somewhere in the universe by purely random chance.

As I said, if the universe is truly infinite, then it doesn't matter how incredibly unlikely a given event might be.  As long as something is even theoretically possible, then in an infinite universe it has happened not just once but an infinite number of times.  Actually, that much is simple math.

By the way, let's not confuse the observable universe with the actual universe.  Just because we can only see about 46 billion light years (limited by the speed of light and the expansion of spacetime) is no reason to assume that the universe ends there.  We just don't know, but Occam's Razor says that if we have no evidence that it ends, then we should probably assume that it doesn't.

I admit I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to science of the universe and have some reading up to do but out of curiosity, what makes people believe the universe is infinite?

Also, how do those who deny God's existence and role in creating the universe believe it came to be that way?

Feel free to consider me a complete ignoramus on this, so any sources you could recommend for reading (online would be best) would be appreciated. Thanks.
islamispeace View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2014 at 8:34am

To dispute the notion that anyone can ever be certain in matters of religion.  Even if you could prove the existence of some supernatural entity that created the universe (which you can't), that's still a far cry from proving that that entity is a god or gods, let alone the God described in the Quran.

But to hear this from an atheist who has only his own opinions (and nothing certain) is ironic.  The pot calling the kettle black...

No need, I've read plenty like it.  What you (and he) don't understand is that in an infinite universe, the "probabilistic resources" would be infinite.  No matter how unlikely you might think it is for a protein molecule to form spontaneously on this planet (which itself is a matter of opinion), the probability is not zero; and in an infinite universe, there would be an infinite number of habitable planets just like ours.  Multiply any non-zero number by infinity and what do you get?

Who said the universe is "infinite"?  The very fact that the universe is estimated to be 14 billion years old means that it is not infinite. 

What you don't understand (surprise, surprise) is that even if a protein was to "spontaneously" form, that is the just the beginning.  A protein has to have the correct configuration and folding pattern to function properly.  Any misfold in the protein, and the it will be useless.  Not only that, but in order for life to exist, there have to be many different functional proteins of varying complexity.  Consider the example of DNA.  Even if a DNA molecule had spontaneously formed, it would still need to replicate.  How does DNA replication occur?  Well, it requires other molecules such as DNA polymerase, DNA ligase, helicase and topoisomerase.  All of these enzymes are needed for DNA replication.  Even if one of these is missing, then DNA cannot replicate.  It is frankly impossible for all of these molecules to have "spontaneously" formed simultaneously to allow DNA to replicate. 

And as for your claim of "an infinite number of habitable planets", this is just an absurd opinion for which no evidence exists (surprise, surprise).  I don't doubt that there may be many planets which have the conditions suitable for life, but to claim that there are an "infinite number" is just a matter of opinion.  And even if there were, how does that explain how life started on earth?  Did life come from outer space?

Edited by islamispeace - 30 September 2014 at 8:43am
Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2014 at 9:43am
Originally posted by islamispeace islamispeace wrote:

To dispute the notion that anyone can ever be certain in matters of religion.  Even if you could prove the existence of some supernatural entity that created the universe (which you can't), that's still a far cry from proving that that entity is a god or gods, let alone the God described in the Quran.
But to hear this from an atheist who has only his own opinions (and nothing certain) is ironic.  The pot calling the kettle black...

Irony is based on an inconsistency between expectation and reality.  There is no inconsistency here.  We're both "black".  All we have is opinions, on either side.

Quote Who said the universe is "infinite"?  The very fact that the universe is estimated to be 14 billion years old means that it is not infinite.

The observable universe is 14 billion years old.  We can't see what might have existed before the so-called Big Bang, but that doesn't mean there was nothing.  More to the point, I am talking about infinite in spatial dimensions, not in time.  The observable universe is about 46 billion light-years in radius, but there is no reason to suppose that it ends there.

How big do you think the universe actually is?  What do you suppose we would encounter if we reached the edge?  Is there a huge brick wall or something?  As opinions go, IMHO this would rank fairly high on the absurdity index.

Quote It is frankly impossible for all of these molecules to have "spontaneously" formed simultaneously to allow DNA to replicate.

Not impossible.  Just very very (and a few more veries) low probability.

Quote And as for your claim of "an infinite number of habitable planets", this is just an absurd opinion for which no evidence exists (surprise, surprise).  I don't doubt that there may be many planets which have the conditions suitable for life, but to claim that there are an "infinite number" is just a matter of opinion.  And even if there were, how does that explain how life started on earth?  Did life come from outer space?

It's called the anthropic principle.  Life began on earth because of this very very (and a few more veries) low probability event.  However, we shouldn't be surprised by this, because with an infinite number of "earths" in the universe, it had to happen somewhere (in an infinite number of somewheres, in fact); and we had to have evolved on an earth where it happened.
Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
Tim the plumber View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim the plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2014 at 11:54am
Originally posted by Abu Loren Abu Loren wrote:

Yes I agree with you. However where truth and falsehood can be deciphered is in True statements that are contained in the Qur'an. For example, it is the only scripture where it states that the creation of the heavens and the earth is a sign that God Almighty exists. So for a non believer this won't be understood even the Christians and the Hindu's etc.

As an outsider to any religion any statement in any of them which depend upon simply faith in the religion for their support seem to be wishes rather than dependable facts.

I don't trust the word of an atheist just because he is an atheist. I trust the idea of the world revolving and the heavens not spinning around the Earth because I can demonstrate it myself. Dropped stones don't land exactly on the spot directly beneath them. They land just to the east.

I trust that the ideas of thermodynamics are right because they are what is used to make jet planes work. Just because I couldn't understand them and desperately want them to be wrong doesn't change the fact that they are right.

islamispeace View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2014 at 12:23pm

Irony is based on an inconsistency between expectation and reality.  There is no inconsistency here.  We're both "black".  All we have is opinions, on either side.

You're not getting it (surprise, surprise).  I am basically questioning why an atheist who has only assumptions and opinions is even wasting everyone's time by trying to prove that religion is a matter of opinion.  Even if it was, what difference would it make?  And how would it make atheism any more or less appealing?

The observable universe is 14 billion years old.  We can't see what might have existed before the so-called Big Bang, but that doesn't mean there was nothing.  More to the point, I am talking about infinite in spatial dimensions, not in time.  The observable universe is about 46 billion light-years in radius, but there is no reason to suppose that it ends there.

So, you have only assumptions.  That's what I already said. 

It always amazes me that atheists always harp about "evidence" yet when it comes to their various "theories", there is always a conspicuous absence of evidence. 

Regarding the so-called "infinite universe", what you don't get is that even if there was such a universe, the impossibility of life starting spontaneously would not change.  As physicist rob Sheldon explains:

"Life is just as possible in a small universe, a big universe, an infinite universe, as in our own. There is no a priori reason to think that size has anything to do with the impossible presence of life.

A closed universe (that ultimately collapses into the Big Crunch), an open universe (that expands into the void forever), or a flat universe (that comes to rest in infinite time), also makes no difference to impossible life, since multiplying an impossibility by infinite time does not make it possible.

Now if you hold the mistaken belief that life is only possible where there are probablistic resources to stumble over it, then you might think that the bigger the universe, the more probability resources for life. But life is not just an improbable event; it is a collection of improbable events. It is a concentration of information. So if there is an information threshold for life, it is simultaneously an information density threshold. So let us suppose that a universe was 10 times bigger, and contained 10 times the information. The information density would remain exactly the same, and therefore the probability of life would remain unchanged" [http://www.evolutionnews.org/2014/03/why_do_we_live082961.html].

How big do you think the universe actually is?  What do you suppose we would encounter if we reached the edge?  Is there a huge brick wall or something?  As opinions go, IMHO this would rank fairly high on the absurdity index.

This would be no more as absurd as claiming that life started from nothing and that even though it is impossible, it somehow became possible.

Not impossible.  Just very very (and a few more veries) low probability.

LOL Of course it's impossible.  It would be like saying that the Statue of Liberty spontaneously formed piece by piece; first the head, then the arms etc.  Then, these pieces somehow came together in the right configuration and...boom...the statue was formed.   

It's called the anthropic principle.  Life began on earth because of this very very (and a few more veries) low probability event.  However, we shouldn't be surprised by this, because with an infinite number of "earths" in the universe, it had to happen somewhere (in an infinite number of somewheres, in fact); and we had to have evolved on an earth where it happened.

See above.  It actually didn't have to happen.  In fact, there was no reason for it to happen.  That is why we should be surprised that it did happen.  And no amount of philosophizing will change that.   

Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
  Share Topic