IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - FMG  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFMG

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2005 at 10:26pm

Originally posted by Begbie Begbie wrote:

Hmmm, there seems to be a difference of opinion here;

Sheikh Yusuf Al-Qaradawi

whoever finds it serving the interest of his daughters should do it, and I personally support this under the current circumstances in the modern world. But whoever chooses not to do it is not considered to have committed a sin for it is mainly meant to dignify women as held by scholars.

Islamic rule on female circuncision (FGM)

How would this "dignify women" I wonder ?

So, where is the difference of opinon since I clearly highlighted it to be a cultural practice than having anything to do with divine origin? same as  the shiekh himself has declared it when he says "..But whoever chooses not to do it is not considered to have committed a sin ........". On the more, the evidence presented in support of FGM, is not authentic. Hence, there is no doubt left. Whatever, the Shiekh is saying is his personal feelings, depending upon his own cultural inclinations.

Begbie View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2005 at 8:23am
Originally posted by AhmadJoyia AhmadJoyia wrote:

So, where is the difference of opinon since I clearly highlighted it to be a cultural practice than having anything to�do with�divine origin?

qaradawi says it's sharia, i'm not disputing divine or cultural. I'm questioning the ethic.

same as� the shiekh himself has declared it when he says�"..But whoever chooses not to do it is not considered to have committed a sin ........".
and then says I personally support this
What has it got to do with sin anyway ?

On the more, the evidence presented in support of FGM, is�not authentic. Hence, there is no doubt left. Whatever, the Shiekh is saying is his personal feelings, depending upon his own cultural inclinations.

Then the sheik is a dangerous quack ?
Deus View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2005 at 11:22am

i'm not disputing divine or cultural. I'm questioning the ethic. 

Well then, this comes down to personal opinion since different people have different views of "ethics". But the question of whether or not Islamic law commands it has already been answered.

Edited by Deus
Begbie View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2005 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by Deus Deus wrote:

Well then, this comes down to personal opinion since different people have different views of "ethics".
I see, Female Genital Mutilation is not only tolerated but allowed to be promoted.

But the question of whether�or not Islamic law commands it has already been answered.
Not really.
Deus View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2005 at 3:28pm

I don't believe I am mixed up or misunderstanding anything.

I don't mean to lecture you on semantics nor anatomy... but as mentioned already, circumcision is not the same as mutilation. The former involves removing the prepuce of the clitoris (the female equivalent of the male foreskin). The latter involves cutting the clitoris.
Islam commands neither. But from what has been presented in this thread, it looks like Islam promotes circumcision (and it stresses that even this must not be severe as to affect the sexual pleasure.)

I personally believe this issue to be of a cultural origin that seems to have crossed the line of various religious groups including Muslims, Christians and Jews.

Begbie View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2005 at 9:32pm

I don't mean to lecture you on semantics nor anatomy... but as mentioned already, circumcision is not the same as mutilation
I don't see a difference.

The former involves removing the of the clitoris (the female equivalent of the male foreskin). The latter involves cutting the clitoris.Islam commands neither.
But it does promote, encourage and tolerate it ?

But from what has been presented in this thread, it looks like Islam promotes circumcision (and it stresses that even this must not be severe as to affect the sexual pleasure.)

Then what is the purpose ?

I personally believe this issue to be of a cultural origin that seems to have crossed the line of various religious groups including Muslims, Christians and Jews.

I personally believe it to be an unnecessary practice.
Maryga View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2005 at 5:00am

I personally believe it to be an unnecessary practice.

Begbie, you are absolutely right! So much for scholarship these days! To justify it in any form is abominable and it is not Islamic! It is sickening!

ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2005 at 5:40am

Assalamu alaikum,

Begpie, too bad you didn't start off your first post with your position that "I believe it is an unnecessary practice".  On that point I am sure most would agree!  Personally, I would go so far as to say neither female or male circumcision is a necessary practice - after all, if we are not even allowed to pluck our eyebrows because it "changes Allah's creation", why would we cut off a part of our body?

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic