IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Who wrote Quran?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Who wrote Quran?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
beloved View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beloved Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2005 at 9:40am

Since you have mentioned that "scholars are very divided on the issue" of who wrote the Quran, please provide some reference for your statement.

Brief History of Compilation of the Qur'an
Adapted from an article in Perspectives, Vol 3, No. 4, Aug/Sept 1997

The "Perspectives" magazine has its own perspective about the compilation of Quran saying that anonymous writers wrote it and Zayed Ibn Thabit compiled it.

http://www.memphisdawah.com/PDF/who_wrote.pdf

The Memphis Dawah Team says God authored It but does not mention anyone who has written it.

http://www.themodernreligion.com/basic/quran/quran_who_wro te.htm

TheModernReligion.com tells us that "God wrote it!".

http://www.submission.org/mo-write.html

Dr. Rashad Khalifa
says that "Prophet Muhammad Wrote God's Revelations With His Own Hand".

Though I have quoted these from the internet (which I feel are not reliable), I can even quote from the books available in the market on this subject.

We have numerous cases of 5 or 7 year old children who have memorised the Qur'an long before they have learnt how to write. Now if one of these children, once he/she has mastered writing skills, decides to write the Qur'an down from his memory, would you also consider him/her a "writer of the Quran"? And call it his/her version of the Quran (from John, from Matthew, from Luke etc.)? Nonsensical reasoning.

Thats your reasoning, not mine.
I think you know more about Holy Bible than Holy Quran.  But we shall keep the Holy Bible aside.

As Muslims believe, Quran is the word of God.  Mohammad listened to it thru arch angel Gabriel.  But now we have only the verbal form which had to have a hard copy. 

As we understand, the hard copy was compiled from anonymous sources.  We believe that Zayed Ibn Thabit has compiled it without any ambiguity believing in the verses 2:23, 10:38, 11:13, 17:88 etc which themselves form the part Zayed's compiled Quran. (Zayed, with the help of the companions who memorized and wrote verses of the Qur'an, accomplished the task and handed Abu Bakr the first authenticated copy of the Qur'an. The copy was kept in the residence of Hafsah, daughter of Umar and wife of the Prophet (Peace and blessings of Allah be upon him)..)

And this hard copy has again been turned into verbal for many people have memorized it.

You are hitting the wall with the question you posted, yet refuse to withdraw.

Thank you for your concern, but I would rather be happy if you don't hurt yourself with my question.

P.S. 1. Mockba said, "from John, from Matthew, from Luke etc.".  I say, "Atleast Christians reveal to us from whom they have heard the revelation for the second time (first time from Jesus Christ) and agree that some of their revelations have been taken from anonymous writers or sayers."

2. I also want to know what is the purpose of "dotting and diacritization" of the Holy Quran?
MOCKBA View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOCKBA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2005 at 9:29pm

Bismillah

Beloved,

Since you have mentioned that "scholars are very divided on the issue" of who wrote the Quran, please provide some reference for your statement.

We have numerous cases of 5 or 7 year old children who have memorised the Qur'an long before they have learnt how to write. Now if one of these children, once he/she has mastered writing skills, decides to write the Qur'an down from his memory, would you also consider him/her a "writer of the Quran"? And call it his/her version of the Quran (from John, from Matthew, from Luke etc.)? Nonsensical reasoning.

You are hitting the wall with the question you posted, yet refuse to withdraw.

Edited by MOCKBA
MOCKBA
beloved View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beloved Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2005 at 5:33am

Dear Bro Beloved, as far as you question

Quote:

Yes, I want the names of the scribes who have written them down and which scribes' version are we having presently.

is concerned, it has been reasonably answered.

Did you read my post completely.  Let me paraphrase myself again, " Scholars are very divided on this issue.  Not all agree with what you have said.  Different Islamic websites give different writers and some does not even give any names. The names you have given  were companions of Prophet and the word "scribes" is a newly found word. "

Do you see any ambiguity in it? Put forward your hypothesis, if you have any, and we shall see how can we respond to it, Inshallah?

Hope that you have understood the ambiguity.

beloved View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beloved Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2005 at 5:26am
To make things a little clearer may I suggest using the rightly mentioned word "scribes" instead of "writers".

But wasn't the Quran written?  Of course it was.  Then whats the point you want to make?

It is a good attempt to confuse readers, but fortunately these matters are well taken care of in Islam... as opposed to Christianity.

People have been confused not by my question as you think.  If you feel confused, its your insecurity.  And why to bring Christianity into our discussion?
Deus View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2005 at 3:27pm

Also, is it safe to say that even though the Quran was written down by different people (the above mentioned "scribes"), they all did indeed write down the same material? So it is not like the Gospel which was written differently by an undetermined number of unknown people.

AhmadJoyia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2005 at 2:46pm

Dear Bro Beloved, as far as you question

Yes, I want the names of the scribes who have written them down and which scribes' version are we having presently.

is concerned, it has been reasonably answered.

Do you see any ambiguity in it? Put forward your hypothesis, if you have any, and we shall see how can we respond to it, Inshallah?

MOCKBA View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOCKBA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2005 at 9:20am

Bismillah

To make things a little clearer may I suggest using the rightly mentioned word "scribes" instead of "writers". It is a good attempt to confuse readers, but fortunately these matters are well taken care of in Islam... as opposed to Christianity.

MOCKBA
beloved View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beloved Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2005 at 8:06am
Scribes included Ali Ibn Abi Talib, Mu'awiyah Ibn Abi Sufyan, Ubey Ibn Ka'ab, Zayed Ibn Thabit.

Zayed, with the help of the companions who memorized and wrote verses of the Qur'an, accomplished the task and handed Abu Bakr the first authenticated copy of the Qur'an.

So you mean to say that Ali Idb Abi Talib, Mu'awiyah Ibn Abi Sufyan, Ubey Ibn Ka'ab, Zayed Ibn Thabit and many others wrote Quran? Or Zayed Ibn Thabit compiled Quran from many writers?

In my opinion, your first question implied "doubts" in regard to the authenticity of the Holy Quran!

The "doubts" implied by you are not my "doubts" but your own.  My question was not regarding "authenticity" but regarding the writer. 

Scholars are very divided on this issue.  Not all agree with what you have said.  Different Islamic websites give different writers and some does not even give any names. The names you have given  were companions of Prophet and the word "scribes" is a newly found word. 

Its not enough that we know that Quran is the word of God.  There should be no insecurity in faith.

So, if you are a muslim, please ponder over the following Verses of the Noble Quran to know the quality of true believers:

I find your statements offencive brother.  Do you think you need to remind me of these verses?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>
  Share Topic