IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Men (Brothers)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Marijuana  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMarijuana

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2005 at 3:50am

Honestly Mankind...you can't expect every issue you think of to directly be discussed in the Quran.  To quote from the Quran,

Say, "If the ocean were ink for the words of my Lord,
the ocean would run out, before the words of my
Lord run out, even if we double the ink supply"

Perhaps much of the relevance of this glorious verse is intended to silence those who despite God's description of the Quran as fully detailed (6:114), still claim that the Quran does not include all the details of the religion.

With regard to smoking, just because you heard from some guy that it was mukru doesn't mean it is right.  In light of the epidemiological evidence of smoking and its adverse effects, we can conclude that it is haram because it causes all these destructive health consequences which is haram.  The idea of smoking being mukru was probably instituted a while back when these epidemiological data was not clear.  In light of new evidence this is not the case. 

With respect to Marijuana.  Marijuana is a drug.  It causes a stupifying effect much like pain killers and alcohol.  It should be only used as such and not for recreational use.  Taking Marijuana for recreational use is like taking Tylenol #3s for fun...does that seem right to you?  It is not described specifically in the Quran, but Allah gave you a brain to interpret things.  Just because something isn't specifically discussed in the Quran as being wrong does not mean it is right.  In the future, I'm sure many drugs will be discovered and abused...do you expect the Quran to discuss all of these?  In the interest of practicality Allah made the Quran limited in length but infinite in wisdom.  I suggest you think about that not for just this issue but for other controversies you encounter in the future.

mankind View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2005 at 4:51pm
thank you for your kind information..n ur qoute its a beautiful qoute..n i completly believe it..but first i want to say that cigz are not haram..i didnt hear it "just from sum guy"...i have asked a whole lot of ppl not only ppl on this site..and there r a lot of muslims n christians who smoke..i mean like strict muslim ppl who even teach islam n stuff..I AM NOT SAYING CIGZ R GOOD AT ALL..but i really reallly don think its "haram"..so try to search more on that..n about weed first off try not to compare it with things like tylenol becuz that is man made drug..this is a plant..n u r ryt i would not want to use tylnol for fun nor would i like to use crack or cocaine cuz they r man made drugs...i know allah gave me the brain..n thats y am using it here...i know sum of u think am being stuborn at this point but am sry..most of u r slipin of the subject or comparing it with other drugs..like last time sum1 mentioned all cafine is haram or sumthing like that n i asked so coffee n things like soda are haram too?..didnt get a strait answer..and u r ryt in the future there will be more drugs being discovered n abused..but they will be man made!.ofcourse i dont epect the quran to discuss all these becuz the quran will never change its always the same.which i think is the most beautiful thing about the quran...i think theres a big dif btw manmade n natural so think about that for now..
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2005 at 9:11pm

well, if smoking causes lung cancer I would say its haram

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
mankind View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2005 at 10:19pm
yea...thats you tho..u think its haram..sum dont...
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2005 at 11:00pm
LOL mankind what angel means is that if something that can cause you bodily harm why would you go towards what can cause you harm? Obviously if weed (although not scientifically proven to cause cancer) is bad for you in the sense of state of being "high" which is not a natural occurence of the body then why do it? There are other ways of "getting high." your body has natural endorphins that create that effect when you work out, when you eat food (the endorphins kick in after you eat which makes you "sleepy"). These are natural high's which are good because its the bodies way of rewarding you for maintaining its sustenence so why choose any other high?
mankind View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2005 at 2:00am
thanx for ur comment israfil..i have heard similar comments n i thank u all.but i said i will think about it from here u know..if u guys dont mind...
usama View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2005 at 5:11pm

Asalaam alaikum

Ramadan Mubarak, eventhough its the 2nd week (can we ever seek too many blessings in Ramadan?).

I don't like getting into the halal vs. haram debates unless there is some intellectual or knowledge based benefit that may aid the believer in the future, insha Allah.  In this case, and Allah knows best, but I believe there is some benefit in addressing this matter just as if we were brothers sitting around discussing this over dinner.

First, let us use the arabic word regarding intoxicants, khamr. 'Khamr' refers to any drink that intoxicates, so wine, beer, whiskey, vodka, cocktails, etc.  This is known in the arabic.

Am Maidah (5):90-91.

Oh you who believe, Truly 'khamru' and gambling and divination by arrows are an abomination of Satan's doings: avoid it in order that you may be successful. Assuredly, Satan desires to sow enmity and hatred among you with 'khamru' and gambling, and to hinder you from the remembrance of Allah and from salat. Will you not then desist?    

There are many ahadith addressing the prohibition of khamr. One includes: The Prophet (saaw) cursed ten categories of people saying:

Truly, Allah has cursed khamr, and the cursed the one who produced it, the one for whom it is produced, the one who drinks it, the one who serves it, the one who carries it, the one for whom it is carried, the one who sells it, the one who earns from the sale of it, the one who buys it, and the one for whom it is bought. (reported as sahih in Tirmidhi and Ibn Majah).

The illegality of any khamr, intoxicant, is prohibited. Qiyas extends this illegality to any known natural intoxicant, namely the common khat, marajuana, hashish. And this matter IS conclusive and Allah knows best.

As for cigarettes. It is true anything that is definitively harmful is haram.  That is to say, to use something in a way that will bring haram to you is haram. Thus, to DRINK bleach is haram. Bleach will definitively erode the lining of your mouth, throat, stomach. It will definitively destroy your organs and if taken enough, will kill you. There is a direct causal relation between drinking bleach, or let's say a gallon of bleach and irreparably harming and even killing oneself. Drinking 6 oz.s of bleach is enough.  

But smoking tobacco, or let's say smoking standard commercial cigerettes (cigz), since tobacco grows naturally and commercial cigerettes are chemically treated,  is not definitively harmful and fatal as drinking bleach is. Commercial cigz are not directly tied to harm or cancer. That is to say, there is no medically definitive tie which rises to level which is as  conclusive as drinking bleach is. As well, there are many many cases of people who smoke all their adult lives and do not necessarily suffer from cancer nor suffer harm from smoking. The same can never be said of drinking bleach. As well, the addictive nature of cigz do not necessarily render it haram being that cigz are not a khamr and nicotene is not a khamr.   That is not to endorse cigz or smoking as a habit. Certainly not. But the stronger legal position is that smoking cigz do not rise to the level of haram. 

So the question of definitiveness and conclusivity has to be held to a high standard and not surrendered or lowered to mere rhetorical or weak legal argument.  That is not to protect people's bad habits, but to retain the high ideological standards and legal principles which have led the sharia`ah for 1400+ years.    

May Allah forgive me for any misguidance and  and misunderstanding and He is Allah, All Knowing, Wise.

Usama

mankind View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2005 at 5:37pm
Hey Usama, i havent seen n e of ur posts but am sure u have been followin this discussion..well as for me as u can see i decided to take things for myself n think it from here..ofcourse all these ppl on this site have helped me..but i decided to drop it for a while..but i guess sum1 like u had to ryt a decent comment..which impressed me becuz doesnt sound biased at all i like that..but usama if u read ur 7th n 8th paragraph..n u replace the word cigz with marijuana...it just makes as much sense..except marijuana is NOT chemically treated..thank you for your comment..and like i always say we r all here to learn..so plz pplz lets enjoy our ramdan n have a nice talk...lets not be different from eachother lets treat eachother with same respect n love..we r all the same..usama i didnt say this becuz of sumting u mentioned ok..am just saying..hope u have a gud one man..peace
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic