IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Challenging Questions about Islam  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Challenging Questions about Islam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2007 at 12:05pm

If I could interject my non-muslim, non-professional opinion, there is a reason why Hadith are important to Shariah.

You compare the Hadith to the Quran and take the Quran above the hadith, but the Hadith tell you more on how to implement the Quran. 

The Quran says to pray, the Hadith tell your HOW to pray.

The Quran tells you to be kind to your brothers, the Hadith shows you how Muhammed (pbuh) put this into practice.

The Hadith offer examples of how the Prophet Muhammed (pbuh) put into practice those things taught by the Quran.  That's why they are important to the Shariah Laws.  They act as clarifications for those of us that are a bit thick headed.  They also act as references for adab (Islamic Manners).

Hadiths are good because they also can show how women were integral parts of early Islam.  They show how a man is to be good to his wife by showing how the Prophet (pbuh) was with his wives and how he adjudicated between his followers.  Many hadiths refer to women coming to him for advice.  Obviously they were not locked away in their homes or they couldn't have done this. 

The Hadith are good ways to learn. 

Think of the Quran as the foundation and the house.  The Hadith are the furniture and roof.  The Opinions of Scholars can be the door, windows and garden outside.  All make for the dwelling. 

Anyway, that's just what I've learned in my nearly two years here.  I hope I'm getting it better.

Edited by Angela
number41 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote number41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2007 at 8:00am
My Eyes!!, 41....oophs......points noted..... bmzsp,..with thanks!
'When one bright intellect meets another bright intellect, the light increases and the Path becomes clear' � Rumi
BMZ View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2007 at 7:52am

My Eyes!!, 41

Can I just change the font size, please?

number41 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote number41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2007 at 7:36am

QheQ wrote �you will find the most sincere answer from within yourself, I hope.� 

QheQ�..Sincerely, I hope, God willing that this modest effort will in some measure prove useful and I seek His forgiveness for any short comings!��.I am keeping myself in the learning mode too just like you I do not want to be ZAALIM!

More importantly we believe, as all Muslims should believe, that the Quran is the word of Allah containing guidance on all aspects of life. The Quran commands us to perform Salaat. Our beloved Prophet (pbuh) shows us how and commanded �Pray as you see me praying�.  There can be no addition to or subtraction from the manner of performing the Prayer.

The Quran commands us to perform the Hajj and to experience its benefits. Our Prophet (pbuh) shows us how to perform the Hajj and commanded. �Take from me your rites in performing the pilgrimage.� The pilgrimage must there fore be performed as he did it with only the variations and allowances as he permitted. To sum up here the sunnah is valid for all times to come, there is scope provided in it dealing with issues that people at the time of our Prophet (pbuh) did not face. The very basic principle in Islam is that every act or transaction is allowed unless it is prohibited.

Mod Edit: Just changed the font size. Hope you don't mind. Thanks

Edited by bmzsp
QheQ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QheQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2007 at 7:17am
Quite sincerely, being unable to access the net at home, i have difficulty posting replies to so many people. I humbly request any one, preferably the most knowledgeable one to continue the dialog, say Mr/Ms Andalus or someone else.

Will touch back soon
BMZ View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2007 at 6:53am
Originally posted by minuteman minuteman wrote:

Yes, very correct, BMZSP, the meaning is as suggested with a slight change from myself.

'(This is) That book, in which there is no doubt."

But the last part (Fee he) sometimes can be connected to the remaining (or the following words too).

(It is ) That book in which there is no doubt. It is a guidance for the God fearing people.

(It is) That book, no doubt. There is guidance for the God fearing people.

Forgive me if there is any mistake. The meaning of Dhalika is "That". It points to a distant or higher level object, compared to hadha (This).

You are right, minuteman. I had the poster's thoughts in my mind, so I did not go into finer details.

Thanks indeed. Salaams

BMZ 

minuteman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minuteman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2007 at 5:40am

Yes, very correct, BMZSP, the meaning is as suggested with a slight change from myself.

'(This is) That book, in which there is no doubt."

But the last part (Fee he) sometimes can be connected to the remaining (or the following words too).

(It is ) That book in which there is no doubt. It is a guidance for the God fearing people.

(It is) That book, no doubt. There is guidance for the God fearing people.

Forgive me if there is any mistake. The meaning of Dhalika is "That". It points to a distant or higher level object, compared to hadha (This).

BMZ View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2007 at 5:11am

Originally posted by QheQ QheQ wrote:

This is where Quran says that it is the "Qaul-e-Rasool" (69:40)

My comments in blue fonts:

If you wish to understand it correctly, read from V38-52 and you will understand easily. You seem to be an Urdu speaking person and that is why you have used Qaul-e-Rasool, which means, The Saying of the Rasool (Prophet), which would fall under the subject of Hadith and it's collections.

However, in the verses 40-52, the message is: "This is the word of a Rasool, not the word of a poet. how little do you believe, and not the word of a soothsayer, how little do you reflect? It is a revelation from the Lord of the worlds."

Qur'aan, then goes to add v44-52, saying "If he had said any words of his own, We would have grabbed him and cut off his life-vein and none of you could have saved him. This is a reminder to all who fear the Lord and We know those of you who lie and this will make you regret. This is the absolute truth. So, glorify your Lord."

Explanatory meanings: "This is" refers to the Qur'aan which is the inspired/revealed word of God to Muhammad and Muhammad was reciting that to people. There were poets aplenty, in almost every corner and street of the Meccan valley, who were reciting poetry in praise of the gods and the powerful men of Mecca.

When Muhammad came with blazing poetry and the prose of Qur'aan, the pagans and their poets were shocked. Common man took Muhammad as a poet or a soothsayer. The verses were revealed to let people know that the dazzling poetry and prose were not his own words and they were the words from God sent to Muhammad as Qur'aan. In other words, the key message was: This is the Rasool of God talking about the revelations of God. It is not saying that Qur'an is the saying of Muhammad of his own.

Also, what does it exactly mean tha Quran is Laa Raib?

Why do Muslims, in response to questionning of the grammatical errors in Quran say: "Its eloquence is so High that we cannot reach it?"

Most sincerely, do you think it is the right answer?

No, it is not the right answer. There are people, who do not know a word of English, French or Spanish and yet they can understand Qur'aan perfectly well. It is a different matter when it comes to translation. Some languages just do not have the equivalent words available. An example is Ghairat (In Urdu) which cannot be found at all in English. Do you see the difference. Just to re-do the translation of above was a "nightmare" (in the good sense) for me.  We are supposed to study, reflect and understand it.

Regarding Laa Raib or Laa Raiba, it simply means No Doubt. An Arab scholar or a good scholar of Qur'aan will not read it as "No doubt".

Let me show you by way of examples:

First, the verse as it is: Zaa-li-kal-kitaabo, laa raib." Let us translate now and see how many ways can we do it.

1. This is the Book, there is no doubt in it.

2. This Book has no doubt in it.

3. No doubt, this is the Book.

4. Without any doubt, this is the Book.

5. Of course this is the Book!

What is the correct meaning of this verse?

There is no doubt that this is the Book from Allah,

or simply

Of course this is the Book (from Allah)

BMZ

Edited by bmzsp
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic