IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) in the Bible  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) in the Bible

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 17>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Doo-bop View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doo-bop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2007 at 1:15am
Originally posted by minuteman minuteman wrote:

Thanks Doo-bop, then please explain what exactly you meant by the following argument:  (Thanks).

The bottom line is that, if Muhammad's claim is to be verified, he will have to be found mentioned in the Law

minuteman, it is not my argument, it is Muhammad's statement:-

"Those who follow the apostle, the unlettered prophet, whom they find mentioned in their own (scriptures) - in the Law and the Gospel......"

--Quran 7: 157 

as I already quoted

minuteman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minuteman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2007 at 11:10am

Thanks Doo-bop, then please explain what exactly you meant by the following argument:  (Thanks).

The bottom line is that, if Muhammad's claim is to be verified, he will have to be found mentioned in the Law

Doo-bop View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doo-bop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2007 at 10:55am
Originally posted by minuteman minuteman wrote:

It is not possible that the name Muhammad could be found in the bible, even though the word Muhammadaim is present in the songs.  If the above logic is applied (as shown in red above) it will be necessary to find the name Jesus in the OT. Likewise the name of all the earlier prophets should be found in the books revealed before them.

The is never possible. Or is it?

No, I didn't say his name would have to be found mentioned, and have already agreed that the Quran does not say that his name is mentioned 

minuteman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minuteman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2007 at 10:50am

It is not possible that the name Muhammad could be found in the bible, even though the word Muhammadaim is present in the songs.  If the above logic is applied (as shown in red above) it will be necessary to find the name Jesus in the OT. Likewise the name of all the earlier prophets should be found in the books revealed before them.

The is never possible. Or is it?

Andalus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andalus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2007 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by Doo-bop Doo-bop wrote:

[

And what?

(the addition to to so what was somehow not included with the post)

1)      If this was implausible, even in the slightest way, then why did this not become a point that the many detractors could have used against the claims of the prophet (saw) when this verse was revealed? There were Christians and Jews, and no where in the Hadith literature do we find this as a point of contention.

2)      The does not necessarily state that his name will be mentioned, it only states that his claim will be found. This claim includes the attributes of prophethood.

3)      Since the idea of what constitutes a bible is not necessarily the same thing as what people had in the 6th and 7th century, one can assume that the bible before them is the same as it was in the 6th and 7th century.

Well, you do not know that it was not a point of contention, and I do not know that it was.  I do not know why you are relating this to the point in time when the verse was "revealed". 

[/quote]

I am not certain of your point. Maybe I missed something or have forgotten something that was stated earlier?

Would non-muslims, for instance the jews in medina, or the pagans in mecca, actually know when a verse had been "revealed"? 

Well your question creates an image of all these muslims walking around with some non-Muslims in the mix. People converted to Islam after hearing the message, the claim of revelation, and observing the miracles of the Prophet (saw) and "experiencing" his prophethood first hand. There were only a handful of believers, it it simply grew in time.

The prophet claimed to have a messege from God and to be a prophet. For non-Muslims who were Jews or Christians, one only need to look at the bible (even the one we have today) to find criteria for a prophet (his characteristics), and what the central message would be.

It may be, for all I know, that new verses were immediately broadcast throughout the land, and that non-muslims took cogniscence of them, in which case I find it hard to believe that it would not cause a few raised eyebrows among some of the jews at least. 

Well, there were masses of Jews who rejected Paul and his teachings, and the Jews who did recognize Jesus died out. So in the end, Jews would have to look at the soundess of the claims presented by Paul and come to their own conclusion. There was no "absolute" proof available.

In all of the writings we have, we know that the main contention of the Jews is that they wanted a prophet who was Jewish. There are sound narratives that reveal writings that the Jews had in their possesion which did point to a coming prophet (saw) in the region.

It is not known what these writings were.

But if there's no record of any debate on this point at the time of the new verse, either in hadith literature or elsewhere, then I'm not going to argue that there was.  It's a non-point

I agree. I cannot say that this silence is conclusive proof either way, but I will say that I believe it is evidence that the Jews of the region did have a belief and the claims of the Prophet (saw) were not contrary to that belief except that he claimed the line of Ishmael and not Isaac.

The verse I quoted says that he, ie. the apostle, is mentioned.  I agree that it doesn't say that his name is mentioned.  But it also, as far as I can see, doesn't say his claim will be found

A highly recognized exegesis of the passage is most popularly agreed upon that it is about his attributes that one may find in the bible.

As to what constitues a bible in the 6th, 7th century, this does not matter, as the verse makes plain that Muhammad is mentioned in the Law and the Gospel.

Doesn't it matter? If hadith narratives that are sound in transmission report that the Jews had some writing which engendered a belief that a prophet was coming, should this imply that other writings besides those that we find today in the bible were circulated in Arabia? Afterall, there were many "heresies" that could be found in the region and Christianity or Judaism was not a solidified, single entity. All I am syaing is that the suggesiton is not overly incredible and not inplausible.

And this suggesiton is not meant to be deragatory in any sense, or an attack on the bible or Torah, simply an observation, nor does this suggestion imply any biblcal problems.

We know where the law is found, and what it is.  What is meant by the Gospel is not clear.  Is it a reference to the book allegedly given to the LJC? (The book that never was, and of which there is absolutely no record)

Well, we know for a fact that there is absolutely no record of the life of Jesus outside the Quran that can give any credible historical insight. There were not standard methods in place to track any of the natrratives and "validate" the stories. So we already do not have any "record", and what Jesus actually taught is now speculation (with exception of the Quran which tells us that his message was on key with every other servant of God).

Jesus had a revelation, but the specifics of it are not within our reach. This goes outside the topic and I am now going off on a tangent. If I misunderstood you, I am sorry. Simply ignore what I have stated and explain further.

His claim is verified by todays standard bible. Please explain one of his attributes that is a point of contention for you that is in direct violation of the basic message of any known prophet.

A feeling of discouragement when you slip up is a sure sign that you put your faith in deeds. -Ibn 'Ata'llah
http://www.sunnipath.com
http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/
http://www.pt-go.com/
QheQ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QheQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2007 at 8:30am
Please check my new topic "Challenging Questions about Islam"

http://www.islamicity.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9060&PN= 1

Thanks
Doo-bop View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doo-bop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2007 at 8:07am
[

And what?

1)      If this was implausible, even in the slightest way, then why did this not become a point that the many detractors could have used against the claims of the prophet (saw) when this verse was revealed? There were Christians and Jews, and no where in the Hadith literature do we find this as a point of contention.

2)      The does not necessarily state that his name will be mentioned, it only states that his claim will be found. This claim includes the attributes of prophethood.

3)      Since the idea of what constitutes a bible is not necessarily the same thing as what people had in the 6th and 7th century, one can assume that the bible before them is the same as it was in the 6th and 7th century.

[/QUOTE]

Well, you do not know that it was not a point of contention, and I do not know that it was.  I do not know why you are relating this to the point in time when the verse was "revealed".  Would non-muslims, for instance the jews in medina, or the pagans in mecca, actually know when a verse had been "revealed"?  It may be, for all I know, that new verses were immediately broadcast throughout the land, and that non-muslims took cogniscence of them, in which case I find it hard to believe that it would not cause a few raised eyebrows among some of the jews at least.  But if there's no record of any debate on this point at the time of the new verse, either in hadith literature or elsewhere, then I'm not going to argue that there was.  It's a non-point

The verse I quoted says that he, ie. the apostle, is mentioned.  I agree that it doesn't say that his name is mentioned.  But it also, as far as I can see, doesn't say his claim will be found

As to what constitues a bible in the 6th, 7th century, this does not matter, as the verse makes plain that Muhammad is mentioned in the Law and the Gospel.  We know where the law is found, and what it is.  What is meant by the Gospel is not clear.  Is it a reference to the book allegedly given to the LJC? (The book that never was, and of which there is absolutely no record)

Andalus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andalus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2007 at 9:11pm

Originally posted by Andalus Andalus wrote:

Originally posted by Andalus Andalus wrote:

Andalus, you are missing my point.  The claims made by Sawtul in this thread are 1. that Muhammad is mentioned by name in the Song of Solomon 5: 16 and that 2. the descriptions of the man in verses 10-16 of that chapter match exactly with those available descriptions of Muhammad found in islamic scriptures.  I am simply saying, for the reasons I've given, that neither assertion is true.

And you are missing an even greater point: You are willing to accept Jesus as a god-man prophecised about in the Hebrew Scriptures with even less evidence.

Is it a greater point?  You, after all, presumably believe this:-

"Those who follow the apostle, the unlettered prophet, whom they find mentioned in their own (scriptures) - in the Law and the Gospel......"

--Quran 7: 157 

In which case, perhaps you could enlighten us as to where, exactly, this mention is to be found

And what?

Well, you said earlier that you "do not agree with some of the arguments used to make the case by some muslims".  I was merely wondering what arguments you use to make the case.  If you have the time to put them forward, then many people, I think, would be interested to hear them.

I am not sure if that answers your question "and what?", as I'm not sure what was meant by the question

And what?

A feeling of discouragement when you slip up is a sure sign that you put your faith in deeds. -Ibn 'Ata'llah
http://www.sunnipath.com
http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/
http://www.pt-go.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 17>
  Share Topic