IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Politics > World Politics
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - IRAQ: Farmers in Dire Straights  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IRAQ: Farmers in Dire Straights

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2006 at 2:08am

Edited by Hanan
Hanan View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2006 at 2:12am

Edited by Hanan
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2006 at 5:06am

Originally posted by Hanan Hanan wrote:

Dire Straits made a beautiful, sad song "Brothers in Arms"

Assalamu alaikum,

Yes, indeed, one of the most beautiful anti-war songs ever!  I especially love the last verse:

"Now the sun's gone to hell, and the moon's riding high

Let me bid you farewell, every man has to die.

But it's written in the starlight, and every line on your palm,

We're fools to make war on our brothers in arms."

*written by Mark Knopfler

That song pierces my heart every time I hear it.

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
Hanan View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2006 at 1:52pm

Edited by Hanan
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2006 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by Hanan Hanan wrote:

I have a REAL hard time keeping my mouth shut when I read one-liners such as the one above and wish that someone here would explain to the lady that there is an obvious difference between the reason for the plight of the Iraqi farmers (my cut & paste article makes that very clear), and that of non-Iraqi farmers, and to make light of their struggle with a lighthearted "welcome to the club" is callous and insulting to people who's children have been killed and kidnapped and who's lives are unbarable beyond our comprehension.

Hanan, I wasn't being lighthearted or callous or insulting, with what i said. I WAS BEING DEADLY SERIOUS!!

At least Candid got me

Hanan, You got no idea what farmers are facing here where I live, it is very bleak, droughts for years, no water to produce, can't hardly sell, animals dying, produce not producing or poorly, depression, suicides in 1 in 4 male farmers - the hightest group for suicides, not forgetting that Australia provides sheep for iraq and surrounding countries which means less food - do I NEED to go on??!

Perhaps you should stop throwing a tantrum every time you see me or someone writing something you seem to have a problem with. Instead of throwing your gibberish, perhaps you could ask me nicely why I said what I did.

To be honest with you, I know there are a few differences (as I saw in the article) but on the whole both sets of farmers are no different with their struggle, it is their livelihoods. 

Edited by Angel
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Duende View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2006 at 8:00am
Angel, whatever personal gripe you have with Hanan, you should be
able to see the vast difference between the Australian farmer
suffering the consequences of severe drought (welcome to Global
Warming) and the Iraqi farmer suffering the consequences of an
occupying army who seizes civilians, men women and children, holds
them without charge, often tortures them (just in case, you never
know, one of these sheep herders might turn out to be Bin Laden's
driver ...) rapes and kills their daughters ... need I go on?

Does an Australian farmer need to sit in fear each night of a
terrifying raid?

Does an Australian farmer have to worry about his home and
livelihood being bombed to smithereens? (just collateral damage,
mind you)

Does the Iraqi farmer have the support and help of local government,
local unions, and the chance to sell up and move somewhere where
he might get a job and feed his family?

The difference in circumstances between the two is black and white.
Your comparison is foolish, ignorant and shallow
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2006 at 7:01pm

Duende, WHAT did I say in my last sentence to Hanan ?????

And I an NOT being ignorant or shallow or foolish.

So please excuse me for believing that both are in dire straights!!!!

Sheesh!!!

Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2006 at 8:30pm

Duende one last thing, you make it sound that the australian farmers have it easy, be sure that they DON'T have it easy, and there is not much goverment help either to hardly nothing, and if in the chance of selling the farm it won't be much that the farmers will get back adn it won't clear any debts, they can't even sell their animals if they haven't died from starvation - for the going price, its much under, and they will have a hard time in finding any other work as farming is all they know! It's very bleak.

And yes in iraq it is bleak too.

SO Don't sit there and tell me I am igorant and shallow when you have done the very thing you accuse me of!

I never wanted to get into a debate in comparsions, and won't be continuing, I NEVER started to compare but list a few things going on to show Hanan why farmers here are in dire straights as well and that I recognise the struggle for farming!

I have NEVER denied that some and certains things are different. If I did then yes tell me I am ignorant and foolish.

But that's ok, I don't expect an apology

Edited by Angel
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic