IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reviews - Media > Books, Newspapers & Magazines
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - "Losing My Religion" Jeffrey Lang  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Losing My Religion" Jeffrey Lang

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote umsami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Losing My Religion" Jeffrey Lang
    Posted: 13 May 2005 at 6:20am

I really want to highly recommend Jeff Lang's new book, "Losing My Religion."  As a Muslim revert who knows many 2nd and 3rd generation Muslims, it addresses a lot of issues that we as our community need to face in order to bring people back to the masjid.  (Roughly 80% of American Muslims do not regularly attend a masjid.)  It also addresses some common questions/doubts many reverts/Muslims have... but are afraid to ask their Imam... or don't feel satisfied with the answer given to them.  (Or the attitude that questioning is wrong.)

ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2005 at 11:47am

Assalamu alaikum umsami,

Welcome to the board and I wish to thank you very much for all the good information you have shared so far.  Please do continue to share with us!

I must say I am stunned to hear that "roughly 80% of American Muslims do not regularly attend masjid".  There really are many serious issues our community must deal with before it becomes too late.  Talking and sharing information and ideas at places like this is one way to help.

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2005 at 1:35pm

Here are a couple of non-fiction books I really found interesting, especially the second one:

1. Taking Back Islam, American Muslims Reclaim Their Faith: edited by Michael Wolfe and the Producers of beliefnet.
  2. On Being Muslim, finding a religious path in the world today: by Farid Esack.

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
umsami View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote umsami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2005 at 6:40pm

Wa'alaikum Assalam:

I have both books and love them.

Thanks.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic