IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Quran & Sunnah
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Bread and meat and busr and rutab!  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bread and meat and busr and rutab!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UmmTaaha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bread and meat and busr and rutab!
    Posted: 18 October 2006 at 7:43pm

One day, Abu Bakr, may Allah be pleased with him, left his house in the burning heat of the midday sun and went to the mosque. 'Umar saw him and asked, "Abu Bakr, what has brought you out at this hour?" Abu Bakr said he had left his house because he was terribly hungry and 'Umar said that he had left his house for the same reason. The Prophet came up to them and asked, "What has brought the two of you out at this hour?" They told him and he said, "By Him in Whose hands is my soul, only hunger has caused me to come out also. But come with me." ..

They went to the house of Abu Ayyub Al Ansari. His wife opened the door and said, "Welcome to the Prophet and whoever is with him."

"Where is Abu Ayyub?" asked the Prophet. Abu Ayyub, who was working in a nearby palm grove, heard the Prophet's voice and came hurriedly. "Welcome to the Prophet and whoever is with him," he said and went on, "O Prophet of Allah, this is not the time that you usually come." (Abu Ayyub used to keep some food for the Prophet every day. When the Prophet did not come for it by a certain time, Abu Ayyub would give it to his family.) "You are right," the Prophet agreed.

Abu Ayyub went out and cut a cluster of dates in which there were ripe and half-ripe dates.

"I did not want you to cut this," said the Prophet. "Could you not have brought only the ripe dates?"

"O Prophet of Allah, please eat from both the ripe dates (rutab) and the half ripe (busr). I shall slaughter an animal for you also."

"If you are going to, then do not kill one that gives milk," cautioned the Prophet.

Abu Ayyub killed a young goat, cooked half and grilled the other half. He also asked his wife to bake, because she baked better, he said.

When the food was ready, it was placed before the Prophet and his two companions. The Prophet took a piece of meat and placed it in a loaf and said, "Abu Ayyub, take this to Fatimah. She has not tasted the like of this for days."

When they had eaten and were satisfied, the Prophet said reflectively:
"Bread and meat and busr and rutab!" Tears began to flow from his eyes as he continued:

"This is a bountiful blessing about which you will be asked on the Day of Judgment. If such comes your way, put your hands to it and say, 'Bismillah' (In the name of Allah) and when you have finished say, 'Al hamdu lillah alladhee huwa ashba'na wa an'ama 'alayna (Praise be to Allah Who has given us enough and Who has bestowed his bounty on us). This is best."

Source: Scanned from "Companions of The Prophet", Vol. 1, by Abdul Wahid Hamid.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic