IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional > Middle East
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Hamas Urges WB workers not to strike  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hamas Urges WB workers not to strike

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hamas Urges WB workers not to strike
    Posted: 01 September 2006 at 6:00am

Bismillah,

Posted on Thu, Aug. 31, 2006

Thousands without pay protest in West Bank
Rallying in Ramallah, they demanded pay and won Abbas' backing for a major strike next week.
By Mohammed Daraghmeh
Associated Press

RAMALLAH, West Bank - Thousands of angry civil servants turned up the pressure on the beleaguered Hamas-led Palestinian government yesterday, marching to demand payment of overdue wages and winning Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas' blessing for a major strike next week.

As the Palestinians' internal tensions simmered, fighting intensified between Gaza extremists and Israeli troops searching for smuggling tunnels and explosives. At least eight Palestinians were killed in air strikes and gun battles near Gaza City.

Visiting U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan called for an end to the fighting in the coastal strip, which has killed more than 200 Palestinians since it began two months ago. He also demanded that Israel open Gaza's crossing points.

"This must stop immediately," Annan said. "I have made my feelings known in talks with Israeli officials."

The planned civil-service strike, an indication of the growing confrontation between Abbas' Fatah party and the Hamas-led government, would plunge Gaza and the West Bank deeper into chaos. The strike threat gives Abbas greater leverage in negotiations with Hamas over formation of a unity government.

Hamas has been unable to pay full salaries to 165,000 government employees - including about 40,000 teachers and 85,000 members of the security forces - since an international aid freeze was imposed on the Palestinian government in March, when Hamas came to power.

Hamas, considered a terrorist group by Israel, the United States, and the European Union, has refused to accept Western conditions for restoring aid, including recognizing Israel and renouncing violence.

About 3,000 government employees marched through Ramallah yesterday to demand their salaries. The civil servants' union, which represents tens of thousands of teachers and health-care workers, has said it will launch an open-ended strike next week.

Hamas says the strike is aimed at destabilizing the government and called on teachers to ignore it.

"Calls for a strike are an attempt to exploit the suffering of our brothers," Hamas said in a statement.

http://www.philly.com

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
ak_m_f View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ak_m_f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2006 at 12:06pm
whats with the money problem ?
Daniel Dworsky View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel Dworsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2006 at 5:44pm
There's plenty of donors and there is already around 50 million $ set aside
just for construction and repair costs for infrastructure and housing.

The problem is that we ( Olmerts government and the IDF ) are interfering
with the shipment of building supplies. We also took out the power and half
the water facilities from the air. Unemployment is 78% in Palestine as of
today. Every one in Palestine is in debt up to their ears. The temperature
has been in the neighborhood of 35-40 degrees C for weeks. How they
manage to keep their courage and how they will ever forgive us when we
finally find our humanity is a mystery to me. It reminds me of stories I heard
from my teachers about the Warsaw ghetto.
superme View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2006 at 1:28am
I hope and long to see they live peacefully in their mini state, very small but at least that is the place where they can rest. They deserved this after long suffering. In the long run the borders will go away, and who knows how the people live in the next 100 years, or even in the short future. I believe the palestinians are very forgiving people.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic