IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Men (Brothers)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Head covering  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Head covering

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Head covering
    Posted: 18 July 2006 at 4:50pm

I have a question for men who cover their heads in Middle Eastern countries due to the sun.  I understand it is to keep their head cool in the sun?  Is this right?

Also, the coverings are usually white right?  so as to deflect the sun's heat as opposed to black that absorbs the heat, right?

And, what is the fabric used?  Linen because it's light and does not hold heat again right?

Sorry for such silly questions.  But I think I'm being really overly harsh with a friend of mine. 

He was wearing a black cotton t-shirt on his head "to keep his head cool"  He's an american born Muslim and IMO he's just imitating what he's seeing other Muslims do.   I look at him and I think to myself "think man... black cotton???? that's probably the hottest thing you can put on your head"  I didn't say anything to him out of respect for him, but he's always doing things like this, i.e. not using common sense.  He's soooo intelligent for many things but he's got some pretty weird ideas about others. 

He's kind of like my brother who is a brilliant mathematician but didn't know how to blow up a rubber balloon for my son's 2nd birthday last year.  Smart people who lack common sense for some very simple things. 

Anyway, if someone could tell me if I'm wrong about this black cotton t-shirt thing I would appreciate it. 

Thanks...

Knowledge01 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knowledge01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2006 at 7:48am
Salam Alaikum,

I personally wear a turban or kufi most of time simply because it's sunnah. But I currently live in Amerika and usually it's not as hot as it is in Arabia or Sudan, etc.

White, black, and green are all sunnah for turbans but if you want to keep cool, black is obviously not the best choice.

As to what material is used, I think most people people use the same as many jalabiyya come in, which is 35% cotton and 65% polyester. Alot of other turbans are simply cotton.

Now to your brother (in Islam). I think you should tell him to stop acting like the Muslims he sees and start acting like, with pure intention, Rasulullah. This is the VERY best choice.
liyala View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liyala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2006 at 8:19pm

hi andrea,

let the brother be... maybe he just wanted to cover his head and didn't have anything else. besides, if he is as smart as you say he is, he'll figure it out himself. no sweat!

liyal.a
Andrea View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2006 at 1:28pm

Thank you both for your kind replies.  You are right... I should just let the brother be...

Peace

mariyah View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mariyah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2006 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by liyala liyala wrote:

hi andrea,

let the brother be... maybe he just wanted to cover his head and didn't have anything else. besides, if he is as smart as you say he is, he'll figure it out himself. no sweat!

LOL oh yeah, if he lives in a hot climate,and wears black  he will sweat lol..

I live in a desert and sweat daily!  Hijabies shouldnt wear polyester Al-miras in 110 f weather <----heatstroke

"Every good deed is charity whether you come to your brother's assistance or just greet him with a smile.
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2006 at 8:45pm

Andrea,

Since you asked for opinions allow me to give you mines. Have you considered that perhaps you are overtly analyzing the issue here? I mean, how do you know that he is behaving in this particular manner because of the Middle Easter influence? If its hot its hot! perhaps we shouldn't be overtly sensitive on the behaviors of other people. Colors, IMO regardless of Sunnah, or not is unimportant becacause this is really a small matter. Now with other issues you say he "lacks common sense" in I cannot comment because you didn't disclose those. I say let him behave the way he behaves and if he behaves the way others behave then that is fine but perhaps before you indulge in those particular types of questionings perhaps you should ask him why he wears a black T-shirt on his head. If he replies that its hot then that's fine.

If he continues to give you the same excuse in the winter time then its obvious he is imitating something but let's leave the judgements at the door first.

Megatron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Megatron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2006 at 11:26pm
He should just wrap a towel around his head to fulfill the stereotype, "towel head"...just kidding.

When I first became a Muslim, I wanted to get retro 50's glasses to look like Malcolm X, because he was my hero.  I think he's going through a phase right now.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic