IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Question about Moses and Pharaoh in Islam  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Question about Moses and Pharaoh in Islam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question about Moses and Pharaoh in Islam
    Posted: 03 January 2013 at 6:43am
Salaam Alaikum.

I have a question about Moses and Pharaoh in Islam.

Does Islam teach the nationality of Moses and of Pharaoh? As a Christian, I believe that Moses was an Israelite, and that Pharaoh was an Egyptian.

What does Islam teach on this matter?

If I am not mistaken, Moses was one of the Banu Israil, which is a racial, not religious, term for the Jewish people. If I am wrong, please accept my apologies and correct me. Was Pharaoh also one of the children of Israel? Or was he an Egyptian?

Can you please provide documentation from the Quran or authentic hadith in your answer?

I am just asking to find out, not to debate. I am sure many people, probably including a fair share of Christians, have told you this in the past... and then did the exact opposite. Please believe me, though. Smile

I am definitely into debate, but take it into other sections of this forum, I will not do so in this section and definitely not on this thread. I am just curious.

Thanks.

islamispeace View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2013 at 11:53am
In the Name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful...

The Quran relates:

"And Pharaoh proclaimed among his people, saying: "O my people! Does not the dominion of Egypt belong to me, (witness) these streams flowing underneath my (palace)? What! see ye not then?" (43:51)

This verse refers to Pharaoh as the ruler of Egypt and the Egyptians as his people.
Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

TG12345 View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2013 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by islamispeace islamispeace wrote:

In the Name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful...

The Quran relates:

"And Pharaoh proclaimed among his people, saying: "O my people! Does not the dominion of Egypt belong to me, (witness) these streams flowing underneath my (palace)? What! see ye not then?" (43:51)

This verse refers to Pharaoh as the ruler of Egypt and the Egyptians as his people.

Thanks, Islamispeace. Just a follow-up question, for the purpose of learning and not debating... on this thread at least. Smile Was Moses according to Islam also an Egyptian, or was he an Israelite?

Salaam.

Edited by TG12345 - 06 January 2013 at 8:31pm
nothing View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2013 at 8:01pm
If I am not mistaken:
Allah treats Musa as an Egyptian,
but Musa himself bias where he inclined to the Israelite,
Yet Pharaoh (the new one) reminded Musa that he was one of them once upon a time.
In the end Musa given up the Israelite.
And in the end he was alone, stateless, raceless.

Please don't ask me for sources, that would all over the place.

Edited by nothing - 07 January 2013 at 8:01pm
TG12345 View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2013 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by nothing nothing wrote:

If I am not mistaken:
Yet Pharaoh (the new one) reminded Musa that he was one of them once upon a time.

An interesting interpretation, nothing. Is this from the Quran and hadiths? Can you show Islam teaches this?

Were Musa's people Israelites or Egyptians? Shukran.
Abu Loren View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2013 at 2:28am
Originally posted by nothing nothing wrote:

If I am not mistaken:

You are mistaken!

If you go and re-read the Holy Qur'an then you will know that Prophet Musa (Alayhi Salaam) was adopted by the wife of Pharoah as her own after finding him in the river. You will find the story of Prophet Musa (Alayhi Salaam) very similar to that in the Bible. Therefore, the story if Prophet Musa (Alayhi Salaam) has not been corrupted too much in the Bible.

To answer TG12345's question, Prophet Musa (Alayhi Salaam) was a Jew who was adopted by Pharoah and the had to flee after killing an Egyptian. Then at the age of forty he was chosen by Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala as a Prophet of God (God spoke to him directly). Then he was sent back to Egypt with his brother Prophet Harun (Alayhi Salaam) to free thier people who were in bondage.

Read the Holy Qur'an from beginning to end and you will find their story.

By the way, the reason his brother Prophet Harun (Alayhi Salaam) was sent also is because we are told that Prophet Musa (Alayhi Salaam) had a speech impediment.
786SalamKhan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 786SalamKhan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2013 at 3:01am
Prophet Moses according to the Quran led the Israelites out of Egypt.
http://www.qtafsir.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1127&Itemid=62
Both the Quranic and Biblical accounts of Moses are almost identical except for a few details for example the Ten Commandments incident.

Abu Loren View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2013 at 1:39am
Originally posted by 786SalamKhan 786SalamKhan wrote:

Prophet Moses according to the Quran led the Israelites out of Egypt.
http://www.qtafsir.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1127&Itemid=62
Both the Quranic and Biblical accounts of Moses are almost identical except for a few details for example the Ten Commandments incident.

Moreover, Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala says in the Holy Qur'an that a Prophet is sent to his own people, therefore, Prophet Musa (Alayhi Salaam) cannot be an Egyptian. He is also associated with leading the children of Israel. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic