IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - JESUS:PRINCE OF PEACE?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

JESUS:PRINCE OF PEACE?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahdi The Seeke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: JESUS:PRINCE OF PEACE?
    Posted: 03 November 2012 at 2:09pm
Matthew 10: 34 �Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword. 35 For I have come to �set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law�; 36 and �a man�s enemies will be those of his own household.�

Edited by Mahdi The Seeke - 03 November 2012 at 2:21pm
Placid View Drop Down

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Placid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2012 at 7:12am
Hi Mahdi,

Quote: Jesus, Prince of peace.
Matthew 10: 34 �Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword. 35 For I have come to �set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law�; 36 and �a man�s enemies will be those of his own household.�

Response: --- While this looks like a contradiction, to the peaceful nature of Jesus, --- His coming caused division. --- And that is just the way it is.

--- When Jesus came with the Message of the Gospel, it set the religious leaders against Him. Because of the hypocrisy and greed of the Pharisees, who were the religious leaders, --- Jesus said in Matthew 5:
20 For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.

--- But let�s go back to Abraham and his father in Surah 6:
74 (Remember) when Abraham said unto his father Azar: Takest thou idols for gods? Lo! I see thee and thy folk in error manifest.

And Muhammad was a well respected business man,who had gained the title of "The trustworthy" (From the intro to the Pickthall translation), --- and really, he was from the tribe of Qureysh, was he not? --- And later, the armies of the Qureysh wanted to kill him.

--- But God called him to a life of dedication, and used him to destroy idolatry in Arabia.
--- And his calling, set a sword between Muhammad and his relatives as well as bringing division and persecution against all who followed him, did it not?

When one member in a family decides to follow God�s will in their life, --- it brings a division, does it not? --- So the sword is not a weapon of war, but, in this case, a dividing of those who seek God, --- and those who don�t.
--- This doesn�t have to generate bad feelings, but it often does. --- The believer starts going to Church and develops new friendships, and they simply drop out of the old circles. --- (Often in trying to explain their faith, it creates more tension.)

--- Are there not also family divisions among Muslims?

Placid

Salaam_Erin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salaam_Erin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2012 at 1:25pm
Inevitably the battle between good and evil does cause the sword of division.

This saying of Jesus comes in the context of choosing Him over others, and telling His disciples to expect opposition and persecution.

Also, Jesus is quoting from the Prophet Micah. Micah warns of how untrustworthy people will be when God punishes the Jews (and this applies both to Babylonian and Roman times; Micah prohesying around 700 BC).

"Put no trust in a neighbour; have no confidence in a friend; guard the doors of your mouth from her who lies in your arms; for the son treats the father with contempt, and daughter rises up against her mother; the daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; a man's enemies are the men of his own house. But as for me, I will look to the LORD; I will wait for the God of my salvation; my God will hear me." (Micah 7:5-7)

That's why it is wise to read the whole of Matthew 10. Then you won't make the error you are making, Mahdi.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic