IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Politics > Current Events
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Olympics and faith  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Olympics and faith

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Olympics and faith
    Posted: 06 August 2012 at 10:00pm
After watching the Women's Olympic gymnastic's competition

I was thinking about how Gabby Douglas gave the glory to God when she won her Olympic gold medal... and how Tebo gives praise to God when he plays football... and it made me think... Do Muslims give glory to God, or do they really give glory to themselves?  their efforts, their behavior, their goodness...
This is just something I think they would do well to think about.
When they bow down in prayer... is it about how much they love God, or is it about how good they are?
Is it about outward appearance, or inward spirit?
Just good things to think about.
Heart

Christianity talks about the seven deadly sins of which the first is pride.

and do away with all pride for nothing is given you except from God Himself, and nothing is accomplished lest God gives you the power to accomplish it.  Do not think it is God that gives you praise.  It is you who must praise Him.

Edited by Caringheart - 06 August 2012 at 10:01pm
nothing View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2012 at 3:41am
When I break my fast (no spectators) I say: Allahumma laka sumtu. It translated sound like: Oh Allah I fast for you.

Since my belief of God is - as the whole, that me and everyone and everything are in it as one, therefore I do it for everyone. Put it simply I am nothing without the rest of the creation. But in doing so nobody cheering me, unlike the Olympians in the arena.
But what you observe is right, doing thing just to be seen, seem like universal disease. Not only that, it is timeless disease. And in many occasion it can creep in unnoticed until later.

Hast thou observed him who belieth religion? (1)
That is he who repelleth the orphan, (2)
And urgeth not the feeding of the needy. (3)

Ah, woe unto worshippers (4)

Who are heedless of their prayer; (5)
Who would be seen (at worship) (6)
Yet refuse small kindnesses! (7)

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic