IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional > Europe
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Norway Horror: 80 Die in Camp Shooting, 7 in Blast  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Norway Horror: 80 Die in Camp Shooting, 7 in Blast

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Norway Horror: 80 Die in Camp Shooting, 7 in Blast
    Posted: 23 July 2011 at 12:27am
Salam,

It's another sad story. Be honest I personally where there this kind of news, the first thing I say in my heart "hope the suspect is not muslim". As soon as they announce the suspect is not muslim, I feel released.

I feel this is a wrong attitude, I feel that I am selfish. I tried to behave differently but it's very difficult.

Semar

=============

Norway Horror: 80 Die in Camp Shooting, 7 in Blast

A Norwegian who dressed as a police officer to gun down summer campers killed at least 80 people at an island retreat, horrified police said early Saturday. It took investigators several hours to begin to realize the full scope of Friday's massacre, which followed an explosion in nearby Oslo that killed seven and that police say was set off by the same suspect.

The mass shootings are among the worst in history. With the blast outside the prime minister's office, they formed the deadliest day of terror in Western Europe since the 2004 Madrid train bombings killed 191.

Norwegian Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg told reporters Satyrday that he had spent many summers on the island of Utoya, which was hosting a youth retreat for his party.

Utoya is "my childhood paradise that yesterday was transformed into Hell," Stoltenberg said at a news conference in the capital.

Police initially said about 10 were killed at the forested camp on the island, but some survivors said they thought the toll was much higher. Police director Oystein Maeland told reporters early Saturday they had discovered many more victims.

"It's taken time to search the area. What we know now is that we can say that there are at least 80 killed at Utoya," Maeland said. "It goes without saying that this gives dimensions to this incident that are exceptional."

Maeland said the death toll could rise even more. He said others were severely wounded, but police didn't know how many were hurt.

The island is about 500 yards (meters) from one shore of Tyrifjorden lake, an oddly shaped body of water that is 15 miles (25 kilometers) at its longest and 8 miles (12 kilometers) at its widest.

A suspect in the shootings and the Oslo explosion was arrested. Though police did not release his name, Norwegian national broadcaster NRK identified him as 32-year-old Anders Behring Breivik and said police searched his Oslo apartment overnight. NRK and other Norwegian media posted pictures of the blond, blue-eyed Norwegian.

National police chief Sveinung Sponheim told NRK that the suspected gunman's Internet postings "suggest that he has some political traits directed toward the right, and anti-Muslim views, but whether that was a motivation for the actual act remains to be seen."

A police official said the suspect appears to have acted alone in both attacks, and that "it seems like this is not linked to any international terrorist organizations at all." The official spoke on condition of anonymity because that information had not been officially released by Norway's police.

"It seems it's not Islamic-terror related," the official said. "This seems like a madman's work."

Stoltenberg said Saturday morning that it was too early to comment on the gunman's motives.

Edited by semar - 24 July 2011 at 10:06am
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2011 at 6:33am
"......suspect bought 6 tons of fertilizer.."

"The suspect in police custody � a blonde blue-eyed Norwegian with reported Christian fundamentalist, anti-Muslim views �"
".....police were alerted to the purchase after it emerged the man was suspected of the deadly attack."

Edited by abuayisha - 23 July 2011 at 6:34am
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2011 at 8:36am
"On Monday, Norway's foreign minister Jonas Gahr Stoere, following a meeting with Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, suggested Oslo may be inclined back the Palestinian bid, saying it was "perfectly legitimate" for the Palestinians to seek a vote on statehood. "

abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2011 at 6:39am
"Breivik�s writings offer much more than a window into the motives that led him to commit terror. They can also be read as an embodiment of the mentality of a new and internationalized far-right movement that not only mobilizes hatred against Muslims, but is also able to produce figures who will kill innocent non-Muslims to save the Western way of life."
semar View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2011 at 10:02am
Islam and its Apparent Monopoly on Terror

The minute this horrific attack on Oslo and the gun shooting on the Island of Utoya occurred the American media's fearsome threesome with the sidekicks of the Washington Post, New York Times, CBS NEWS and others joined forces in equally condemning Islamic Terrorist as the perpetrators.

Edited by semar - 24 July 2011 at 10:04am
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
Pati View Drop Down
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2011 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by semar semar wrote:

Salam,

It's another sad story. Be honest I personally where there this kind of news, the first thing I say in my heart "hope the suspect is not muslim". As soon as they announce the suspect is not muslim, I feel released.

I feel this is a wrong attitude, I feel that I am selfish. I tried to behave differently but it's very difficult.

Semar

Hi Semar,

I am sure that millions of people all over the world, muslim and non muslim, were having the same thinking in the begining of this terrorific crime.

As Christian, i reject all kind of violence, specially the violance that is done "in the name of God", or by someone who defines himself as "Christian", "Muslim", "Jew" or whatever. There is a saying from the Romans in Latin which says: "Homo homini lupus", the man is a wolf for other men. It's so true, we don't use our mind for anything that help each other, but only to hurt, to kill, or to make evident any small differencies we may find between us.

How wrong we are, and how much people are dying because of the human st**idity.

Requiescat in pace all the people who death in the name of God, and may God receive their spirit full of peace.

Regards,
Patricia

No God wants the killing, but the peace.
The weapons are carried by people, not by religions.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic