IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Pillars of Islam
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Can one pray in English  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can one pray in English

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darth Ultor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can one pray in English
    Posted: 26 May 2010 at 5:40am
When performing Salah, can one pray in English if he or she has difficulty learning Arabic?
semar View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 9:41am
Salam,

In the beginning yes. But you should try to learn as much as possible, I think not to many, just:

- Al-Fatiha (only 7 short verses) Listen
- Al-Ikhlas (4 short verses) Listen
- ruku  (one sentence) - Subhana robbiyal adzim
- i'tidal (standing after ruku) - one sentence - sami'allohu liman hamidah
- sajdah (bowdown) - one sentence - Subhana robbiyal a'la
- tashahud (10 short sentences)

Beyond this (after Salat), you can pray as much as posible in your own language.

Edited by semar - 26 May 2010 at 9:54am
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2010 at 5:50pm
I'm sure God understands ALL languages Smile 
He created many races who speak differently so....yeah Star
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Ukhti S. View Drop Down
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ukhti S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2010 at 8:17am
Bismillahi Ar Rahmani Ar Rahim - In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious and the Most Merciful

Originally posted by Darth Ultor Darth Ultor wrote:

When performing Salah, can one pray in English if he or she has difficulty learning Arabic?

As Salamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu!
First of all, I would like to advice you to keep that difficulty of learning arabic out of your mind. Learning and memorising arabic is easy, as long as you are willing and are working for it.
My advice for you is to give it time and step by step try to memorise and learn and keep your trust in Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta'alaa) and pray for His Help, and InshaAllah you'll make it by the Help of Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta'alaa)!

And also translations that have been made can never be equivalent to the original. The true spirit of the original and its comprehensive meaning cannot be rendered in a different language. So on the other hand any other language besides Arabic cannot express the correct meaning of the different Chapters in the Nobel Qur'an, and even if it does to some extent.

Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta'alaa) Says in the Noble Qur'an;
"And We have made indeed the Qur'an easy to understand and remember; then is there any who will remember (or receive admonition)?" [The Qur'an; Chapter 54 (Al Qamar - The Moon) : Verse 17]

Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta'alaa) also Says in the Noble Qur'an that it is easy to practise Islam;
"Allah intends for you ease, and He does not want to make things difficult." [The Qur'an; Chapter 2 (Al Baqarah - The Cow) : Verse 185]

Also, in the meantime while you are learning arabic and you are memorising things for the Salah, you should recite these 5 expressions in your Salah instead of praying in English;

1. SubhanAllah
2. Alhamdulilah
3. Allahu Akbar
4. La ilaha illa llaah
5. La Howlaa wa laa Quwwata illah billaah

And my last advice for you is to remember to not make things difficult for yourself, don't look at things as a huge mountain. Believe it or not, shaytan takes advantage of those situations where people make Islam difficult for theirselves. But InshaAllah, shaytan won't dare to come near to you, just say always 'Aodho Billahi Mina Shaytani Rajim - I seek refuge in Allah from the accursed Shaytan.
Start by practising and learning salat in arabic and make an effort on it, and InshaAllah it will go well!

May Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta'alaa) make things easy for you and strengthen your emaan (faith), Ameen!

Take Care and Stay Blessed!
Wa Alaykumusalam Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu,
Ukhti S.

PS. Have you converted to Islam? I remember for quite a while ago you asked about pillars of Islam and the Shahadah. I am sorry, but I haven't been quite active here for a long time now, so I am quite unaware of what things have happened around here.

Edited by Ukhti S. - 30 May 2010 at 8:41am
xx__Ace__xx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xx__Ace__xx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2010 at 2:33pm
Yup, go ahead and pray in whatever language you find comfort in, sir, God is all knowing Smile
Ukhti S. View Drop Down
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ukhti S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2010 at 3:23pm

Bismillahi Ar Rahmani Ar Rahim - In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious and the Most Merciful

As Salamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu!

Originally posted by xx__Ace__xx xx__Ace__xx wrote:

Yup, go ahead and pray in whatever language you find comfort in, sir, God is all knowing Smile

True, Allah is all knowing, but you should pray in arabic. For how long will you be praying in another language?
An effort has to be made to learn the arabic language.
As I mentioned in my previous thread, translations can never be equivalent to the original.

And Allah knows best!
May Allah strengthen our emaan and guide us, Ameen!

Wa Alaykumusalam Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu,
Ukhti S.

Edited by Ukhti S. - 05 June 2010 at 3:24pm
xx__Ace__xx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xx__Ace__xx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2010 at 3:31pm
Well, I said that to make it easier for him, he seems like a new muslim? Or yet to convert?
Praying in Arabic as much as possible is definitely encouraged, but those who find it hard, especially newer muslims can feel free to pray in their own language in this situation is all my point was. He'll slowly learn Arabic himself, and he could always ask Allah in his prayers to make the language easier for him to understand and learn Smile

Edited by xx__Ace__xx - 05 June 2010 at 3:33pm
Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2010 at 7:35pm
Bismillah,

Assalamualaikum wa rahmatullah,

Allah can understand all languages, and silences, so ofcourse one can 'supplicate' in any language, or he/she may not even verbalize the requests, Allah understand all and answers all.

The ritual prayer however has some prerequisites. Of those is [as far as I know] one must perform the ritual prayer = salah in arabic only.

Try and memorize few necessary parts, it should not be impossible, though difficult - and one is rewarded for all the patience/sacrifices/efforts one takes to draw near to Allah subhanahu wa ta�la through obediance to Him in sharia matters.

nausheen

Edited by Nausheen - 08 June 2010 at 7:37pm
<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic