IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Any Answers from Christians?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any Answers from Christians?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Natassia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Natassia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2009 at 12:04am

@ Hasan/honeto

Hi Natassia,

In your first paragraph above you are contradicting your belief about Jesus being God. You would agree with me that God is all knowing and in control of everything as I see you say that later. Then you contradict yourself by saying: " he did not control the minds or actions of those who betrayed and executed him."

Paradox of omniscience and omnipotence. Suffice it to say that God humbles Himself. Just because He can control something doesn't mean He will. He has control over this earth, and yet allows us to control our own minds and bodies.

In the same paragraph you also say, that Jesus' mission was to restore that which was lost and fulfill the Law and the prophets. I agree with you on that 100%. I must add that that was the mission of every prophet God sent without doubt.

No other prophet fulfilled the Law. To fulfill something means to carry it out to completion; to satisfy. The Law requires atonement. If Jesus fulfilled the Law that has convicted the world of sin, then how did he atone for all that sin?

In the last of that paragraph you said something that for me shows your contradicting believe of whether Jesus was God or Jesus has a God. Here is that quote: "Despite the evil action men took to kill Jesus, God used the crucifixion to glorify His name when He resurrected Christ." Clear your mind and read it over and you will see what is said in that line, Jesus has a God.

Perhaps you can read the book of Daniel, the gospel of Matthew, and the book of Revelation and then tell me what happened to Jesus when the Word of God (Christ) was resurrected from the dead? Trust me, it's relevant to your question.

And just as your word comes from you and is you, so does the Word of God come from God and is God. Jesus is the Word of God. So no, he is not the Father, but he is the Word.

In response to what you wrote in the second paragraph all I will say is that only the created ones like ourselves are bound to time, past present and future is something we depend and live through. For God there is no such thing, God is not bound or lives in time thus He is already where we will be later. Also I say, as a Muslim we believe that God is not dependent upon anything or anyone, infact everything depends upon Him.

About your last paragraph all I will say is that Jesus did not do or say anything different than what any of God's prophet would have and have said: That is if they will do the will of God who sent him, follow God's commands and law sent through him will achieve salvation.
Now what we have as the Bible may agree and oppose it's own teachings on this matter.

Hasan

In other words, not everything depends upon God because you must earn your own salvation.

Edited by Natassia - 21 August 2009 at 4:54am
You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about me, yet you refuse to come to me to have life. (John 5:39-40)
Natassia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Natassia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2009 at 9:48pm
@ Saladin (Your words are in blue.)

The poor man and the rich man aint equal in terms of wealth, so its only fair they're penalized according to their wealth. Ten bucks for some is as much as a grand for another.

BTW, sincere repentance is really what erases sins, atonement is secondary.

Why does "sincere repentance" erase sin? How does it make up for the evil that you've done? How does it repay the spiritual debt accrued? How does it balance the scale?

And why is it that wealth is a determining factor in regards to the atonement of sins? And if atonement is secondary, does that mean it is not really necessary?

Yeah, the problem's your logic above. Tell me, what if the poor man was poor despite being hardworking and intelligent, whereas the rich man was rich despite being lazy and st**id but just got lucky, how is Natassia's scales gonna measure this?

Ok, I maynt be that aware of the definition of justice as you're, so please enlighten me here - How Just is it to penalize (wealth-wise) the rich and the poor, the same penalty, when that same penalty maybe for a rich man no big loss but for a poor man, his bread and livelihood and also the bread of those dependant on him, thereby starving him and also his family.

Your Honor, How Is This Justice? How Just, is it to make one suffer more than another for the same crime? (back at you)

But, where does Allah's law accommodate for st**id, lazy poor people and hardworking, honest rich people? In those cases, the st**id and lazy is rewarded by only having to feed his family a basket of dates whereas the hardworking and honest is punished by having to free two slaves who he worked hard to be able to afford.

Physical suffering is relative. And I don't see how feeding your family some dates is punishment.

The punishment for fornication is 100 lashes, but what if someone has CIPA and the man she slept with did not? He would receive the same punishment...and it would be painful for him but the woman he slept with wouldn't feel anything painful from 100 lashes.

Why didn't Allah accommodate for that?

Why do I see whats coming? .....its all banal.

Banal doesn't mean wrong.

I'm just trying to get definitions for things. From what I've read in the Quran, Tafsir, and Hadith the definition of adultery is different for a woman than it is for a man.

If a woman slept with her slave boy, she'd be found guilty of adultery. If a woman slept with a married male captive, she'd be found guilty of adultery. If a woman took a second husband, she'd be found guilty of adultery.

And would you mind defining "corruption throughout the land"? That is a rather vague statement and open to interpretation.

Really? Because it looks like Allah used Muhammad and the Muslims to do the same thing in the Arabian peninsula, throughout the Middle East, North Africa, and even parts of Europe. Muhammad said Allah had ordered him to fight everyone until there was only Islam. That doesn't sound consistent with your theory that if a nation is sinful, God deals with them Himself. How about the commands Allah gave to Muslims to fight Jews and Christians until they submit to Islamic rule? Why doesn't Allah just wipe out the Christians and Jews? Or what about the pagans that Muslims are commanded to slay?

Reference please....along with the context. Tafsir of shaikul batil Natassia dont count, just junk!

Fine.

Quran 9:5

Quran 9:29 and corresponding Tafsir: (Tafsir Ibn Kathir, Tafsir al-Jalalayn, Tanw�r al-Miqb�s min Tafs�r Ibn �Abb�s, Sayyid Abul Ala Maududi - Tafhim al-Qur'an)

Sahih Bukhari, Volume 1, Book 2, Number 24

Sahih Bukhari, Volume 1, Book 8, Number 387

Sahih Bukhari, Volume 5, Book 59, Number 643

Sahih Muslim, Book 1, Numbers 29 - 35

Sahih Muslim, Book 19, Numbers 4294 & 4366

Sahih Muslim, Book 31, Number 5917 & 5918

And whose is original.... Spencer's?

Never read it. Honestly.  I typically stick to really early stuff.  Ibn Ishaq, al-Tabari, al-Waqidi, the Hadith (Bukhari, Muslim, etc.)  And the biographies I do read were written prior to 1975...before there was any reason to sugar-coat, or in contrast--demonize.

What started the Battle of Badr? Ah yes, a planned raid on a Quraysh trade caravan.

Ah no, the raid was to regain what was rightfully theirs. You know, the Muslims' property and livelihood in Makkah they were forced to leave while fleeing persecution, what do you think the Makkans did with that? Learn some history. And why do you think Abu Jahl & Co still mobilised troops to attack Madinah, even when Abu Sufyan's caravan was safe?

I love it when Muslims bring this up. Please show me in your trustworthy sources where it says the Muslims were forced to leave Mecca. When Ali was found in Muhammad's bed...was he forced to flee Mecca that night? What about Abu Bakr's daughter Asma?

And how did goods from Syria rightfully belong to the Muslims? If Muslim property in Mecca had been stolen, why didn't they go and get it from Mecca rather than steal goods from a trade caravan that didn't belong to them? I suppose "due process" was too advanced of a concept, even for the prophet of Allah.

Perhaps Abu Jahl was ticked off that the Muslims had dared to threaten the trade caravan in the first place. Perhaps he was angry about the raid on a trade caravan in Nakhla and murder of an innocent merchant.

'Allah and His Apostle' is a metonym for the 'Islamic state', governed by the Quran and Sunnah.

Ka'b just wrote poetry to bemoan the fallen Quraishies? Oh dear! Ka'b incited the Quraysh against the Muslim state which was in its infancy and vulnerable. He composed verses insulting Muslim women and also planned to assassinate the Prophet, the Head of the State. Learn to evaluate history.... Ka'b got what he deserved -

Can you please provide trustworthy sources that state Ka'b was planning to assassinate Muhammad? I don't mean sources 500+ years after the fact. Can you explain to me how expression of free speech harms Allah and his apostle? And if it does, then does that mean I can kill my pagan neighbor if he starts preaching against Islam and leading thousands of Muslims to leave Islam?

He was the Messenger of God and the Head of the Islamic state that was Madinah. Muslims stood by him through thick and thin cuz they realised what he brought was the Truth; unlike the ingrates among the Children of Israel who betrayed and murdered their Prophets.

Muhammad said he was the messenger of God. He created the Islamic state in Medinah that never originally belonged to the Muslims in the first place. The people living in Medinah just didn't persecute the Muslims who supposedly fled there. (I could have sworn Muhammad ORDERED them to leave Mecca, but I'll have to remember where I read that.)

And so, people had to stand behind Muhammad because Muhammad said so. In reality, that is what you are saying.

So, is the Sunnah of Muhammad perfect?

Perfect for mankind!

Is it divine?

Its 'divinely inspired'.

But is it perfection? Is it divine or isn't it? Did Allah inspire something to not be truly divine?

You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about me, yet you refuse to come to me to have life. (John 5:39-40)
Saladin View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saladin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2009 at 10:52am
So, is the Sunnah of Muhammad perfect?

Perfect for mankind!

Is it divine?

Its 'divinely inspired'.
'Trust everyone but not the devil in them'
Saladin View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saladin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2009 at 9:19am
So, the Law of Islam regarding adultery is different for a man that it is for a woman, correct?

What?.....

017.032 And come not near unto adultery. Lo! it is an abomination and an evil way.

024.002 The adulterer and the adulteress, scourge ye each one of them (with) a hundred stripes....

And murder in Islam is defined as killing someone without a valid reason?

005.032....whosoever killeth a human being for other than manslaughter or corruption in the earth, it shall be as if he had killed all mankind....

025.068 ....nor take the life which Allah hath forbidden save in (course of) justice....

Why do I see whats coming? .....its all banal.

Really? Because it looks like Allah used Muhammad and the Muslims to do the same thing in the Arabian peninsula, throughout the Middle East, North Africa, and even parts of Europe. Muhammad said Allah had ordered him to fight everyone until there was only Islam. That doesn't sound consistent with your theory that if a nation is sinful, God deals with them Himself. How about the commands Allah gave to Muslims to fight Jews and Christians until they submit to Islamic rule? Why doesn't Allah just wipe out the Christians and Jews? Or what about the pagans that Muslims are commanded to slay?

Reference please....along with the context. Tafsir of shaikul batil Natassia dont count, just junk!

I understand Arabic history and culture. I understand the importance of oral tradition in Arabia. I do not respect Karen Armstrong's obvious regurgitation of other modern Muslim biographers. Her book is unoriginal.

And whose is original.... Spencer's?

What started the Battle of Badr? Ah yes, a planned raid on a Quraysh trade caravan.

Ah no, the raid was to regain what was rightfully theirs. You know, the Muslims' property and livelihood in Makkah they were forced to leave while fleeing persecution, what do you think the Makkans did with that? Learn some history. And why do you think Abu Jahl & Co still mobilised troops to attack Madinah, even when Abu Sufyan's caravan was safe?

Was it wrong for Ka'b to bemoan the deaths of the Quraysh? Was it wrong of him to stir up the anger of the Quraysh on behalf of their dead comrades?

Let's see what the sahih Hadiths say about the crimes of Ka'b: He harmed Allah and His Apostle

How does someone harm Allah? And how did he harm Muhammad?

'Allah and His Apostle' is a metonym for the 'Islamic state', governed by the Quran and Sunnah.

Ka'b just wrote poetry to bemoan the fallen Quraishies? Oh dear! Ka'b incited the Quraysh against the Muslim state which was in its infancy and vulnerable. He composed verses insulting Muslim women and also planned to assassinate the Prophet, the Head of the State. Learn to evaluate history.... Ka'b got what he deserved -

005.033 The only reward of those who make war upon Allah and His messenger and strive after corruption in the land will be that they will be killed or crucified, or have their hands and feet on alternate sides cut off, or will be expelled out of the land. Such will be their degradation in the world, and in the Hereafter theirs will be an awful doom;

First of all, why did anyone have to stand behind Muhammad? Really, as if he owned Medina, Mecca, or any other place.

He was the Messenger of God and the Head of the Islamic state that was Madinah. Muslims stood by him through thick and thin cuz they realised what he brought was the Truth; unlike the ingrates among the Children of Israel who betrayed and murdered their Prophets.

Saladin View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saladin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2009 at 7:02am
[Natassia in red]

Justice = equal scales. - Absolutely!

What Islam does is provide a justice system made up of unequal scales. The scales for a rich man are different than those for a poor man.

The poor man and the rich man aint equal in terms of wealth, so its only fair they're penalized according to their wealth. Ten bucks for some is as much as a grand for another.

BTW, sincere repentance is really what erases sins, atonement is secondary.

Why is it that a poor man who is poor because of st**id decisions and laziness is not expected to atone as much for his sins as the rich man who is rich because of INTELLIGENT decisions and being hardworking?

See the problem here?

Yeah, the problem's your logic above. Tell me, what if the poor man was poor despite being hardworking and intelligent, whereas the rich man was rich despite being lazy and st**id but just got lucky, how is Natassia's scales gonna measure this?

Ok, I maynt be that aware of the definition of justice as you're, so please enlighten me here - How Just is it to penalize (wealth-wise) the rich and the poor, the same penalty, when that same penalty maybe for a rich man no big loss but for a poor man, his bread and livelihood and also the bread of those dependant on him, thereby starving him and also his family.

Your Honor, How  Is  This  Justice? How Just, is it to make one suffer more than another for the same crime? (back at you)

Natassia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Natassia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2009 at 2:27pm
@ Hayfa...

You wrote: Was he sent by God or he chose to go? Did not God "send" his only "son"?

Jesus is FROM God. Jesus is God's Word in the flesh. He was sent by the Father, and he chose to be the sacrifice when the time came.

You wrote: And as I said he did not sacrifice anything as he is in heaven with all the other prophets.

He sacrificed his life. He bore humanity's sins. He died a humiliating death and went to the grave for three days.

A. He never did die according to both Muslims and Christians , so where is the sacrifice?

According to Christians, Jesus did die.

B: If he "volunteered" to go then he is SEPRARATE from God? Why would God need to "volunteer" himself for sacrifice. God is God.

God the Father is a separate "person" from the Son. Jesus is not the physical reproduction of God. Jesus is the spiritual manifestation of God within a human being. Why would God need to "volunteer'' Himself for sacrifice? If God's Law requires atonement for sins, and yet He doesn't want His precious creation to have to pay the price, then why not fulfill the Law Himself so that He may redeem and save His people?  God is a God of perfect justice.  He doesn't want us to break His Law, so I seriously doubt He would break His own and allow people's sins to be "washed away" simply because they believe in a man calling himself the messenger of God.

It is all illogical.

It's only illogical if you believe God's Law doesn't matter and can be broken without a price being paid.  It's only illogical if you do not believe God is a just God.

So, is it permitted to use falsehoods and deception in order to assassinate someone? If someone is accused of committing a crime, shouldn't they first be found guilty by a judicial system and then executed according to the law? How is it justice to plot an assassination, use lies to deceive the person into trusting you, and then kill him in cold blood?

What ARE you talking about? LOL

I'm talking about the murder of Ka'b bin al-Ashraf.

But why does" God" need to communicate with God?? God sees and knows all. Then are there two?? Then Jesus cannot be God.

There are not two Gods. There is one God in three "persons." Jesus is God, but so is the Father as well as the Holy Spirit. However, God is not just Jesus or just the Father or just the Holy Spirit. God is all three.

I wish I could come up with a logical analogy...

Try thinking of it like this...when your skin feels pain, how do you know it? Messages sent by nerves to the brain, right? So, your skin communicates with your brain via nerves, and so YOU then feel pain...and you are all three of those things: skin, brain, and nerves. You are not just your skin or just your brain or just your nerves. YOU are all three of those things working together. Can you be "you" without your nerves? Certainly. But then your skin will not communicate with your brain and so what happens to your skin (like a burn) doesn't really affect you in the sense that you would feel physical pain. You would, however, notice the burn and if someone did it to you on purpose, then you would feel the emotional pain from the injury.

When Jesus died, it was like the nerves were severed. He went to the grave, the Father remained in heaven. However, Jesus was still God, just as the Father in heaven was still God. And when Jesus returned to the Father in heaven the Spirit of God was sent down to his followers. Now we can be connected with the Son just as the Son is connected with the Father...and this all can happen by the Holy Spirit.

Confusing? Perhaps to some. It makes sense to me. It didn't use to. Something changed in me last year and it was like my eyes were opened and I could truly see.

(I'm sorry if my analogy stunk.  Truth be told, I don't think God is something or someone that can be accurately compared to anything.)
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2009 at 5:30am
There is nothing wicked about a man offering himself in atonement for the sins of others. It is actually a very giving, selfless, and loving act.

Was he sent by God or he chose to go? Did not God "send" his only "son"?

And as I said he did not sacrifice anything as he is in heaven with all the other prophets.

A. He never did die according to both Muslims and Christians , so where is the sacrifice?
B: If he "volunteered" to go then he is SEPRARATE from God? Why would God need to "volunteer" himself for sacrifice. God is God.

It is all illogical.

So, is it permitted to use falsehoods and deception in order to assassinate someone? If someone is accused of committing a crime, shouldn't they first be found guilty by a judicial system and then executed according to the law? How is it justice to plot an assassination, use lies to deceive the person into trusting you, and then kill him in cold blood?

What ARE you talking about?  LOL

Prayer is how we communicate with God. Jesus was not only teaching us how to communicate with God, but he was also communicating with the Father in heaven.

But why does" God" need to communicate with God?? God sees and knows all. Then  are there two?? Then Jesus cannot be God.

Allah is Al Badi- The Incomparable.

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
Natassia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Natassia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2009 at 4:27pm

@ islamispeace...

Justice = equal scales. You can find evidence of this in probably any ancient religious writing. It's not something I've made up. It's not something that is simply based on my opinion.

What Islam does is provide a justice system made up of unequal scales. The scales for a rich man are different than those for a poor man.

If a rich man lies, his sin weighs down the scale much farther than if a poor man lies, because the atonement necessary to balance the scales is more for the rich man than the poor one.

I cannot believe you are arguing with me about my definition of justice being the wrong one when it is not MY definition of justice at all. It is THE definition of justice.

The LORD detests differing weights, and dishonest scales do not please him. (Proverbs 20:23)

Even the ancient Egyptians believed that the heart would be weighed upon a scale. But it is Islam that says there are different scales depending on your income level.

Why is it that a poor man who is poor because of st**id decisions and laziness is not expected to atone as much for his sins as the rich man who is rich because of INTELLIGENT decisions and being hardworking?

See the problem here? A poor man is not expected to atone as much because it APPEARS that it wouldn't be fair to expect the same payment as from a rich man. However, there is a reason one man is rich and the other is poor, and it doesn't always have to do with dishonesty or good luck.

Regarding women...I haven't gone off on a tangent. Just like with the injustice shown towards a rich man, injustice is shown towards females. I was simply providing yet another example of unequal scales.

Ah, "Islamic Jurisprudence" and "Fiqh." Yes. I am very familiar with these terms. These terms mean that some Muslims who qualify as scholars and religious authority are able to use their logic and common sense to interpret ancient laws and apply them to modern times. I get it.

And yet...when the Jews apply "Jewish Jurisprudence" to the Torah, they are berated by Muslims for not following the Torah properly. Or when the Christians apply "Christian Jurisprudence" to the Bible, they are berated by Muslims for not following the Bible properly. So, will you concede that jurisprudence of other religions is best left to the followers of those religions, which could very well mean that Muhammad had no authority whatsoever to be pointing fingers at the supposed inconsistencies shown by the Jews towards their Law?

Regarding communication with God...He never told me to DO anything. I have no idea how to explain it to you or put it into words.  It's like I have a guiding force within me that gives me strength and wisdom and discernment.  I also don't feel like I need to provide proof of anything since I do not claim to be a prophetess. A prophet or prophetess is required to provide proof...not the average believer simply relishing their relationship with God.

Abraham negotiated with God. Jacob wrestled with the Angel of the LORD. (Not just any angel, but THE Angel.) Moses questioned God's judgment. Jonah deliberately ran away from God's calling. So, it seems to me like people can very well say no to God. That's what Free Will is.

I think God very well could have chosen ANY race to bring the Messiah. God didn't choose the Israelites because they were special. No, they are special BECAUSE God chose them. There is a very big difference between these two statements. Abraham was not chosen because he was righteous and special. No, God chose Abraham and through his relationship of faith and trust with God was made righteous and special. We all have the opportunity to be righteous and special--but that is thanks to God, not to our own merits.

Theoretically, the Noahide Laws were given to Noah and his sons...therefore ALL nations through them would have been taught these laws. But tell me, do you really think it to be impossible for a human to know these laws within their own hearts?

1. No false idols.--This should be common sense. If you decide one day to carve a lizard out of a rock, name him "Dagoon" and decide to worship him, it is OBVIOUS that he's a god of your own creation and therefore likely only represents your own selfish desires. Anyone willing to do a little honest self-analysis can see the truth in this law without it ever having been written down.

2. Do not murder.--This should also be common sense. Would you like it if someone tried to murder you? What if someone murdered one of your loved ones?

3. Do not steal.--Also common sense. If you don't like it when someone raids your home and steals the things you've worked so hard for, then obviously it is not a good thing to do to others.

4. Do not be sexually promiscuous.--Again, more common sense. Promiscuity leads to disease and relationship conflicts. Enough said.

5. Do not blaspheme God.--This should be obvious. If you know something is wrong and comes from within your own selfish nature, then to try to attribute it to God is also wrong. It's like lying.

6. Do not eat the flesh of an animal while it is still alive.--Do I really need to explain this?

7. Requirement to have just laws in keeping with the previously established ones.--This makes sense. If your community does not justly enforce the law that prohibits stealing, for example, then the law is pointless.

So, the Law of Islam regarding adultery is different for a man that it is for a woman, correct? Does adultery in Islam mean cheating on your own spouse or does it mean sleeping with someone who is the spouse of another person?

And murder in Islam is defined as killing someone without a valid reason?

I never said there was anything wrong with multi-colored dogs; however, if I am attempting to produce an all-white dog, I'm not going to start mixing black dogs with my white ones. When did God forsake the rest of humanity? If I recall, He assisted Gentile nations in crushing the Israelites...on many occasions. He gave prosperity to many Gentile nations--remember the Roman Empire? He brings rain and sun upon both the righteous and the wicked. Let's not forget that.

Why not prepare the whole world for the Messiah? Actually, the world was pretty prepared for him. It was the Gentiles who gave strength to the early church. Yes, Jews were the first disciples and apostles; however, the greatest number of followers of Jesus came from the Gentiles. If you recall the stories of miracles in the gospels, it was the Gentiles who showed the GREATEST faith in Jesus Christ.

The "Right Hand" of God is a metaphor. Now, don't tell me you have a problem with that. The right hand (or right arm) of God is the term used to describe how God implements justice, judgment, salvation, etc. Seriously, do a search in an online Bible for those terms.

I don't think the rejection of the Book of Jubilees really had anything to do with the Arabs. If the Ethiopian Orthodox Church includes it in their Bible, so what? The Mormons include the Book of Mormon as equal (if not greater) in importance to the Bible. Just because one particular church chooses to accept something as scripture doesn't mean everyone else must do the same.

Look, whether Arabs are genealogically linked to Ishmael or not doesn't really matter (although it would explain a lot in regards to the animosity shown by Arabs towards Jews.) If you are gleaning the book of Jubilees for historical information, that's fine. People do that with the deuterocanical books and New Testament apocryphal writings as well. However, we can only trust them to provide what the opinions of the people were at the time. Does archaeology, anthropology, etc. support such an opinion? That's what I'm trying to get at. Arabs claim to be descendents of Ishmael. Some Jews and Gentiles agree. However, this does not provide a lick of evidence regarding the Ka'aba.

And if we are going to get into a discussion regarding the opinions of scholars, you wrote: another erroneous assumption on your part is that since the book is not considered as "scripture," then it is completely unreliable.

What if I said: Another erroneous assumption on your part is that since that hadith is not considered to be "sahih" by the majority of scholars, then it is completely unreliable...?

I'm not assuming that the book of Jubilees is wrong. I'm just not assuming that it is right. You want it to be right because it coincides with the Arab/Muslim belief that Ishmael is the father of the Arabs. I'm just asking for valid proof...not just some book written nearly 2000 years after the fact.  That would be like me taking the Quran as appropriate historical fact regarding Jesus Christ rather than the writings from the 1st century AD.

The Eucharist...are you talking about the Lord's supper when Jesus says to his disciples: "Eat in remembrance of me?"

To be honest with you, Jesus' body being the bread of life derives from the story of the manna sent from heaven for the Israelites while in the desert. Jesus' blood of the covenant derives from the rituals of atonement sacrifices also found in the Torah.

There is nothing wicked about a man offering himself in atonement for the sins of others. It is actually a very giving, selfless, and loving act.

Now, if people want to go bananas with the Eucharist ritual and truly believe that the bread and wine literally become the flesh and blood of Jesus...well, that is a little weird and not based on scripture. If you want to see the earliest understanding of the Lord's Supper, read 1 Corinthians 11:17-33.

It's similar to water baptism--symbolism of the cleansing and renewal by the Holy Spirit. The Lord's Supper symbolizes the purpose of the crucifixion of Jesus Christ.

So, now that we understand the Lord's Supper...let's examine the Mithraic stuff.

First of all Mithra doesn't resemble Jesus at all. Have you read the stories about him?

The idea of sacred banquets is as old as history itself. Just because there was a sacred banquet for Mithra doesn't mean that the Lord's Supper described in the New Testament has anything to do with it. For one thing, the beverage Mithra used was not wine but haoma juice. Secondly, the meal was supposed to give supernatural benefits. Thirdly, it was not meant to represent anything like Jesus' supper represents his self-sacrifice for humanity. (Mithra never sacrificed himself, he sacrificed a bull.)

I don't have a "modern" version of the Lord's Supper. I simply refer to the New Testament scriptures. If other people want to accept other writings and other traditions, it is up to them.

Regarding the curtain...God's glory wasn't "held back." The curtain symbolized Man's separation from God.

Yes, isn't it interesting that Muslims did pray towards Jerusalem? I think this could be an entirely new topic which I would find to be very enlightening for both of us.

Look, you are really grasping for straws here to try connecting Mecca with the valley of Baca. Mecca is not enroute to Jerusalem. There never has been a pilgrimage through Arabia to Jerusalem or any of the places where the Tent of Meeting was erected, has there?

You wrote: God doesn't have to anything, if He doesn't want to...

This has nothing to do with what God has to do or doesn't. This has to do with scriptural integrity. If the scriptures say that God dwelled in His house, and His house (according to the scriptures) is the Ka'aba, then the part that says He is in His house must also be true. So, is the passage true or is it false? You're cherry-picking half-sentences here.

When had the Israelites EVER traveled through Mecca (Arabia) enroute to Zion? Please, show me that reference!

Look, the passage says that Allah dwells in His house. You said that He doesn't really dwell in His house. Therefore, you are saying that this scripture is false. Therefore, it must have been fabricated. It's very simple.

(And the belief that all organisms have a single ancestor IS ASININE. Science itself disagrees with it.)

I believe in the doctrines of Christianity that are supported by the scriptures of Christianity. If a church puts forth doctrines or dogma that contradicts the scriptures they preach from, then I have a problem with it. However, I am not attempting to start my own church or gain converts to my own personal interpretations of things. I'm sure there are many things in Islam that you interpret differently than thousands of other Muslims. That's okay. I don't judge Islam based on your personal beliefs or the beliefs of some mullahs in the Taliban.

I believe in the Bible as the scriptural authority for Christianity, Judaism, and the history of Jesus Christ. I believe it was written by men who honestly had faith in God and relied on God for wisdom and guidance. I believe the Holy Spirit inspired the prophets. I believe the Holy Spirit was within Jesus Christ. I am a Christian, therefore I believe I may answer questions regarding Christianity. Not all Christians believe that the Bible is the verbatim words of God like Muslims believe about the Quran. In fact, many Christians don't.

If I read something in a book that says stealing is evil, does it mean that that book is now scripture just because it agrees with the Ten Commandments? It's called discernment, and I trust in God to give me that. If I read a book that attempts to justify stealing and excuse it, then I know that the book is teaching something evil.

Why should any of us believe the words of men? People do it all the time. You believe in the Quran which was compiled by Uthman and an appointed group of scribes. You believe in the Quran which was memorized by men and recited to scribes. You believe in the Quran which was recited by one MAN to his many companions. Every day you believe in the words of men. The difference is when a man claims to be preaching the words of God. You either choose to believe him or you don't. But even if you do believe him, you are still having to believe his word that he is telling the truth about the source of his revelations.

We are held accountable for breaking the law. Ignorance of the law is no excuse for sin because within each of us is a conscience that convicts us of wrong-doing. Even if the law doesn't state that stealing is wrong, if we go steal our neighbor's possessions, in our hearts we know it is wrong because we wouldn't like it if someone did it to us. If it is wrong for me, then it should be wrong for my neighbor. If it is wrong for my neighbor to murder me, then it should be wrong for me to murder my neighbor. (Equal scales, remember?)

My beliefs are not attractive to atheists. I believe only a relationship with God can give you eternal life. If you do not have a relationship with Him, He is not going to force one with you. He will not whisk you to heaven and eternal life against your will. If you do not want eternal life and heaven, then He's not going to give it to you. Atheists don't want it. They reject it wholeheartedly.

How does one "prove" divine guidance? Am I supposed to get a tape recorder and record the experiences that occur within my spirit? Am I supposed to video tape it or something? I give God the credit for everything. I didn't have any whims or desires. I simply sought God and sought salvation. I wanted to know what I must do to get it. He showed me that He had already done everything and I simply needed to have faith in Him.

How do I know that it wasn't Satan? Does Satan bring inner peace, comfort, and rest? Does Satan proclaim Jesus as Lord and Savior of mankind? Does Satan give God all the credit for salvation? Does Satan encourage complete trust and faith in God? Come on, man.

Do I believe Satan exists? Yes, but not in the way that Muslims interpret Satan. I don't believe "satan" is a single person (ie djinn).

Prophecy about Byzantines/Persians:

So, now the word "defeated" doesn't mean defeated, but instead means lost the upper hand but hasn't lost the war yet?

So, when the Byzantines won a single battle (but not the war), then at that point they had defeated the Persians? I've never seen a more ridiculous case of double-speak in my life. So, when did the Allies defeat Japan? Was it when they were able to win a battle on one of the Philippine islands? Or was it when the Japanese unconditionally surrendered after the dropping of the second atomic bomb?

So, because Muhammad didn't die before Mecca was conquered, then the "prophecy" was really a prophecy? The whole thing hung upon the mortality of Muhammad? The Islamic definition of "prophecy" is VERY different from the Judeo-Christian one. At this point, (just as when we were discussing the word "perfect") I think we just need to agree to disagree.

If Muhammad truly split the moon, do we have any evidence of such a thing except for the narratives of a few Muslims? Do we have any scientific or non-Muslim historical evidence?

Regarding Original Sin: Okay, St. Augustine is not from the "earliest times." He's from the 6th century, a mere one hundred years before Muhammad. Martin Luther may have had the right intentions when he broke away from the Roman Catholic Church and promoted individual reading of the Bible; however, he also had some wacky beliefs regarding the Jews that did not have a good scriptural basis. John Calvin...do you understand HIS theology? He believes that everything is pre-ordained and there really is no such thing as free will.

If something comes from Roman Catholic dogma, then I always question it first. The history of the Church is too ugly to deny, and their reputation for spreading lies and distorting scriptures for selfish gain cannot be ignored. If they want me to believe that I am stained from birth so that I must self-flagellate, pay penance, etc. for forgiveness for this uncontrollable stain...then I don't want a part of it. For one thing, it is not scriptural. For another, it promotes an unhealthy self-loathing and unnatural sense of guilt.

You wrote: Atheists will love this! There is no reason not to sin! What�s the worst that could happen? You will simply cease to exist. Atheists believe this already!

Yes, atheists already believe in the cessation of existence. That is ultimately what happens. I didn't say that it happens immediately after physical death. If people are still dying, then Hades still exists and Gehenna has not been put into use yet. But Sheol/Hades is not a place of contrived tortures inflicted by God's angels upon physical bodies. Hades is a place of separation from God and all of the goodness that comes from Him. If love, life, pleasure, etc. come from God...then imagine a spiritual existence without Him.

Okay, can we decide something here: were the babies and small children of the Sodomites righteous or weren't they? Was God punishing them for the sins of their parents, or was He punishing them for sins they had not yet committed? Was God punishing them at all? This is my concern, because it helps determine the nature of God. You look at the commands given by God to Joshua as being wrong...and yet God utterly destroying Sodom and the babies within it is not wrong. I'm wondering why that is. Was it wrong that Allah condoned the beheading of hundreds of boys and men simply for being members of a certain Jewish tribe and possessing pubic hair, and then condoned the enslavement of all the women and small children?

You wrote: Well, I would move my daughter away so that he would not be able to reach her! That sounds like the reasonable thing to do.

So, you would move your daughter away...knowing that the next person to move into that house would find themselves to be a victim of that evil person? Evil will always find a victim.

You wrote: In any case, no one knows the future except God. The nonsense in the Bible about God ordering the Israelites (who were supposed to be the light to the world as you put it) to massacre of thousands of innocents is not something God would do. He would have destroyed the entire nation Himself, as He had done in the past.

You have now limited things that God would do. First you told me that it is not my concern if God chose to burn babies alive in Sodom, and yet now you are saying that God would not command people to slaughter babies by the sword. Why wouldn't God do such a thing? What if He didn't want to bring about a natural disaster because He would rather show that His power was the driving force behind the Israelites, and therefore all the surrounding nations must treat them with respect? (I mean, it's just a theory, but it most definitely is a valid one.)

God doesn't order people to put other people to death? Are you sure about that? God did not outlaw the killing of women, children, and elderly simply because of who they were. God outlawed the deliberate murder of human beings, regardless of their sex or age. If an elderly man goes around hurting little children, he must be put to death. If a woman goes around murdering men, she must be put to death. That's justice. And if, during wartimes, when Muslims use deception and the cover of night to fight against non-Muslims, if children, women, or elderly happen to be killed, Muslims aren't to worry because those people are "of them" meaning they are all of the non-Muslims. Don't you remember that hadith? Allah has ordered the slaughter of millions of innocent animals for the Eid festival, has he not? What terrible things did those animals do? Perhaps God simply wanted to cleanse the land of anything and everything associated with the wicked nations....just like when He cleansed the land with the flood.

You wrote:  Man, are you thick-headed. If a nation is sinful, God deals with them Himself. Noah�s people. Sodom and Gamorrah. Ad and Thamud. Get it? Shariah law has nothing to do with it.

I thought life is a test...so why would Allah end the test early for the Sodomites?

The first commandment...that's the most important one. If I love the Lord my God with ALL MY HEART AND SOUL AND MIND, then I will not have any other gods before Him. See, how simple it is?

I love this: Jesus is not God. The Holy Spirit is not God. God is God.

That's rich. What is God?

So, is the Sunnah of Muhammad perfect? Is it divine? These are simple questions that require only yes or no answers.

Alright, now I have some questions regarding the serial rapist and his faith. If a serial rapist believes in Allah and believes Muhammad is his messenger, then he will burn in hell for his sins, but then he will be raised up to Jannah. Have I got that right?

Can you describe what faith in Allah is, please? What faith is necessary to ultimately save someone from eternal hell?

Simply having knowledge of sin doesn't make us sin. It CONVICTS us of sin. Without the knowledge, we could not sin. Being aware of sin and then actually SINNING is what makes one a sinner.

We don't know if Adam and Eve would have eventually eaten of the fruit had Satan not tempted them. Then again, it all depends on your definition of Satan. Personally, I think Satan is created from our own Free Will. Our selfish desires and unholy thoughts lead us to temptation. Every one of us has the ability to be a "satan."

Eve's desire to have knowledge led to the temptation of eating of the Tree. She gave in to the temptation and tried to justify it. Why did Adam eat? Was he tempted? Those are more difficult questions to answer. Perhaps he represents Man's inherent weakness when it comes to Woman. Satan really wasn't the tempter in that situation. He played the role of the deceiver.

Did God warn Adam and Eve not to listen to anyone who would deceive them? No, I don't think He did. He simply said, "Do not do this or this will happen to you." Someone or something came along and said, "If you do this, that will surely not happen to you." Adam and Eve decided to believe in a blasphemous lie that basically contradicted God and called God a liar. It really should have been very simple...and yet Adam and Eve decided not to trust in God.

Yes, I agree that God offers redemption and salvation. The difference is that I don't believe God expects humans to earn it. I believe the Almighty God is my Savior and Redeemer...not myself.

Buddhism does not put faith in any God. The Vedas ultimately point to an enlightened form of atheism...ask any knowledgeable Hindu. Where do you think Buddhism derived from?

The Bible points to the source of goodness, wisdom, and enlightment as God. The Buddhist texts and the Vedas point to the self as being the source of goodness and wisdom and enlightenment. Please do not compare Buddhism or Hinduism to the Judeo-Christian beliefs.

I believe that the inspiration is divine in origin, but I believe that the writings are from men. God didn't write the Torah and give it to Moses. God didn't write the Tanakh and give it to the Jews. God didn't write the New Testament and give it to Jesus. See what I'm getting at? The Bible is like the Hadith, not the Quran.

Like I've said before, you are trusting your salvation to the words of men...you are trusting in the honesty of Uthman and Abu Huraira and Aisha and Muhammad (among many others.) Or did Allah handwrite the Quran and hand it, in its entirety, to Muhammad who preserved it and handed it to Uthman?

Regarding holiness and perfection: How am I taking the words out of context? God said that because He is holy, then the Israelites must be holy. This applies to anything, whether they be dietary laws or not. Do you understand the meaning of context? The reason that the Israelites had to conform to those laws, just as with any other law, is because God demanded holiness because He is holy.

Ah, you are misinterpreting Romans 5:12.

Therefore, just as sin entered the world though one man [meaning, Adam was the first person to sin.], and death through sin [because the wages of sin is death. (Romans 6:23) Remember, God said, "if you eat of the tree, you will die." (Genesis 2:17)], and in this way death came to all men, because all sinned (see also Romans 3:23) [we all face eternal destruction because of our sins. Revelations 20:11-15]

If you choose to die in your sins and face judgment for them, then when you die you will truly DIE. If you choose to die free from sin and covered by Jesus' atonement, then when you die you will still LIVE. (See John 11:25-26).

The dead are judged according to what they have done. How is a baby going to be punished if they haven't done anything? If babies die and go to Hades/Sheol, then they are not going to be punished there. The grave is not necessarily a place of torment. It can also be a place of rest. Do you honestly believe a just God is going to punish babies and children for things they have no control over? That makes no sense and goes against the Bible's teachings. Jesus said that the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as little children.

I understand Arabic history and culture. I understand the importance of oral tradition in Arabia. I do not respect Karen Armstrong's obvious regurgitation of other modern Muslim biographers. Her book is unoriginal. She simply rehashed things found in 20th century biographies of Muhammad. If you are going to provide citations from her book, then I'd appreciate it if you could provide HER citations (where she got her information from), and if those sources are 20th century, then I'd appreciate it if you could provide THEIR sources.

First of all, why did anyone have to stand behind Muhammad? Really, as if he owned Medina, Mecca, or any other place. What Muhammad did was to suppress the speech of dissidents by assassinating them.

Let's examine WHY Ka'b started producing his anti-Islam poetry to begin with: the Battle of Badr.

What started the Battle of Badr? Ah yes, a planned raid on a Quraysh trade caravan. So, a Battle was fought because of Muslim thievery, and when Quraysh were killed, Ka'b wrote poetry about them. Was it wrong for Ka'b to bemoan the deaths of the Quraysh? Was it wrong of him to stir up the anger of the Quraysh on behalf of their dead comrades?

Let's see what the sahih Hadiths say about the crimes of Ka'b: He harmed Allah and His Apostle

How does someone harm Allah? And how did he harm Muhammad?

And if the mission of Muhammad was to rid the Arabian peninsula of all Jews and Christians before his death, then he failed. The Jews of Khaybar remained until one of the early caliphate removed them AFTER Muhammad's death.

There have been plenty of successful warlords who have fed prophetic military propoganda to their followers. Are they successful because God sanctions their actions?

Why are you placing an emphasis on Arabic manuscripts of the Gnostic and canonical gospels? I thought Arabian culture was all about ORAL TRADITION. Therefore, if stories were circulating throughout Syria and Arabia it is easy to understand why the Quran agrees with Gnostic and apocryphal stories.

The Gnostic Gospels have to be "less corrupted" if the Quran is correct since the Quran agrees more with the Gnostic and apocryphal writings than it does with canonical ones. Did you know that?

The interpretation of some Christians about the parable in Luke doesn't necessarily make it the correct one. It really doesn't require spiritual discernment to analyze the parable. To say that Christians are to be making war is illogical if one applies simply logic when reading the parable. Perhaps some Christians WANT it to mean they are to make war.

I'd like to analyze the first parts of sura 9, if you don't mind:

Freedom from obligation (is proclaimed) from Allah and His messenger toward those of the idolaters with whom ye made a treaty.

This verse declares a complete abolition of treaties that Muhammad had made with pagans. In other words, Allah is allowing Muhammad to break his promises.

Travel freely in the land four months, and know that ye cannot escape Allah and that Allah will confound the disbelievers (in His Guidance).

This verse gives pagans a time frame for free travel. They have four months to "get their act together" before the Muslims attack.

And a proclamation from Allah and His messenger to all men on the day of the Greater Pilgrimage that Allah is free from obligation to the idolaters, and (so is) His messenger. So, if ye repent, it will be better for you; but if ye are averse, then know that ye cannot escape Allah. Give tidings (O Muhammad) of a painful doom to those who disbelieve,

This confirms the first verse. The pagans would do better to repent (stop being polytheists, I'd imagine), but if they do not want to believe in Islam then they will suffer a painful doom.

Excepting those of the idolaters with whom ye (Muslims) have a treaty, and who have since abated nothing of your right nor have supported anyone against you. (As for these), fulfil their treaty to them till their term. Lo! Allah loveth those who keep their duty (unto Him).

And here we have a clause that seems to contradict the first verse...but that's okay, I guess. Anyway, here Allah is giving some leniency towards certain pagans who "abated nothing of your right" (what does that mean?) and who have not "supported anyone against you." These treaties will actually be kept until their term is over. So, if the treaty was for ten months, then even after the sacred four months are over, the pagans will be protected for another six months?

Then, when the sacred months have passed, slay the idolaters wherever ye find them, and take them (captive), and besiege them, and prepare for them each ambush. But if they repent and establish worship and pay the poor-due, then leave their way free. Lo! Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.

Okay, so now we're back to the "sacred months" deadline. Once this deadline is over, the Muslims are commanded to slay the idolaters wherever they find them. They are to take them captive, to lay seige to them, and to ambush them...unless they become Muslims.

Now, here's where the self-defense argument falls apart. Let's pretend we are back in 7th century Arabia. The Muslims are a powerful group now. They have conquered villages, wiped out tribes, and looted wealthy trade caravans. They've accumulated soldiers and slaves. This is no minority group being persecuted. The Muslims are no longer the "underdog."

Anyway, let's give you the benefit of the doubt and pretend that these tribes had broken their treaties. Let's say they were continually breaking them and threatening the lives of Muslims on a regular basis. This would be considered an act of open war, don't you think? And if we go back to verse 2:217 we will see that fighting was permitted even in the sacred months if you had to defend yourself. In fact, fighting was permitted simply if someone didn't let you visit the Ka'aba.

If verse 9:5 was really issued in self-defense, then why would Allah have them wait four months before fighting back if they were indeed under attack?

And if anyone of the idolaters seeketh thy protection (O Muhammad), then protect him so that he may hear the Word of Allah, and afterward convey him to his place of safety. That is because they are a folk who know not.

Ah yes, if a pagan turns traitor against his own people, then open your arms to him and let him convert to Islam.

How can there be a treaty with Allah and with His messenger for the idolaters save those with whom ye made a treaty at the Inviolable Place of Worship? So long as they are true to you, be true to them. Lo! Allah loveth those who keep their duty.

And now things go completely wishy-washy on us. Where we seem to have been given the impression that Allah abhors polytheism, it looks like he doesn't really care as long as the pagans are being loyal to the Muslims.

You wrote: What, now you have your own definition of what "equal" means? Is the son superior, inferior or "equal" to the Father? To the Holy Spirit? And vice-versa?

Look, I'm just trying to gauge your definitions of things. So far it looks like we have different definitions for the words perfect and justice. At this point it appears that the word "equal" means something different as well.

There is no superiority or inferiority between God the Father, the Son of God, and the Spirit of God. Have you never heard the phrase: God is a verb ? God is a working relationship between the three. The Father has authority over all things, which is why He could give authority over mankind to the Son. The Spirit of God connected the Son to the Father when he was on earth, and it connects us to the Son who is now in heaven. They are equal in value and importance because they are all one God. God is all that God is.

Why does the Son pray to the Father?

Prayer is how we communicate with God. Jesus was not only teaching us how to communicate with God, but he was also communicating with the Father in heaven.

You wrote: [Corruption] means putting the words of men in between the words of God. It means making up your own laws and rules. It means making the words of men into the words of God. You have already actually proven that. You say the Bible is the word of men, not God, albeit men who were "inspired by their belief in God". And yet, these men claimed that the Bible was God�s word !

Putting the words of men in between the words of God? Isn't that what the TAFSIR is?! Isn't that what you depend so heartily on for historical background and context? It's not a fatal mistake to believe the Bible is God's verbatim words to mankind. I just think it is a bit illogical. I think the Bible is God's message to mankind through the words of His followers.

Is it not corruption then when a Muslim composes a Tafsir? Is it not corruption when you read a Hadith to learn about the historical context of a revealed ayat?

Corruption is the injection of evil and deception. Adding additional truths to already-established truth is not a corruption. If you are going to call the Bible a "corruption" because the words of men are woven with the word of God, then you should be saying the same about the Tafsir and any hadith that relates the historical context of a revealed verse. The Bible was written by men who were inspired by God. Jesus is the living, eternal Word of God. Like I've said elsewhere, compare the Quran to Jesus and the Hadith to the Bible, not the Quran to the Bible.

You wrote: So, now the story is true? I thought you agreed it was a fabrication?

I'm not stating whether the story is historically true or not. I'm just saying that it is not a corruption in the sense of good being perverted or evil being added into something. The message of the story simply confirms the message of the gospel, and it promotes self-inspection as well as mercy. The moral of the story is a good and true one. When Jesus was telling parables, was he telling historically accurate stories or was he making up characters and situations to explain a point? Even if the Pericope is not historically accurate, we can take it as a parable and learn something from it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
  Share Topic