IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Saudi Girl sentenced in own rape  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSaudi Girl sentenced in own rape

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Saudi Girl sentenced in own rape
    Posted: 20 November 2007 at 2:30am
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15836746/

(to Mod's - DO NOT MOVE)

Okay, this just sickens me.  Lots of women make st**id mistakes.  Cut across the dark parking lot to take a shortcut, accidently walk into a bad neighborhood, etc.  But what happened to personal responsibility.  Those men chose to rape her, whether she was there or not.  Its not like it was the man who was holding those photographs.  (Who btw, her attorney claims he was blackmailing the woman with)

This is a disgusting abuse of women.  We all here know its not in any way, shape or form Islamic.  You don't punish the victim for the crime.  And you don't double her punishment for daring to question the fairness of the judgment.

I feel so bad for this woman, hasn't she suffered enough for her poor choice.  Is beating her going to help?  And why are these men not on death row???? 

Edited by Angela
ak_m_f View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2007 at 8:19am
being alone in a car with another man is a crime in Saudi Arabia.

In the case of the Girl of Qatif, she was sentenced to 90 lashes for being alone in a car with a man to whom she was not married
Salams_wife View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2007 at 9:05am

The sad part is, this is nothing.  I read about a case in Pakistan where an old woman was raped by numerous police officers.  A few days earlier she had refused to rent an apartment she had to one of them.  So they came, arrested her, then took her to the police station where she was raped by numerous police officers for hours(she was a grandmother and a widow).  Later they even sodomized her.  They also stole her wedding Gold while she was there.  Then the court had the nerve to sentence her to prison for zina and of course, did nothing to the officers. 

My source for this comes from a book called Price of Honor by Jan Goodwin.  You would be suprised how many books are out there about this subject.  It really makes me sad, but you have to remember to look at the good too or I swear these things will make you depressed.

truthseeker100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Female
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2007 at 4:30am

Salam and hi,

I am a busy Muslim mother and a silent reader here most of the time.

It would be better to talk to Saudi Government officials or concerned authorities on this matter.

Any injustice against women or anyone anywhere should be strongly condemned.

But, why has focusing on only Saudi women become a norm?

In India, hundreds of thousands of female infanticides take place each year, but you don�t see that in the headlines. In many countries such as France, more than 25000 women are raped every year, you don�t see the headlines about that either. In USA, hundreds of thousands of women are raped each year, no cries are heard across the globe. Wrong is wrong no matter where it happens. But, I am amazed at the enormous disparity of attention. Whenever anything pertains to Saudi women or Muslim women where Muslim men are supposedly criminals, it becomes a world news, but elsewhere Muslim and non-Muslim women are being tortured and raped by non-Muslims and that goes unnoticed.

I am amazed at the enormous disparity of attention. 

And, behold, with every hardship comes ease:
Qur'an 94: 5
Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2007 at 6:37am
truth,

I complain about the female infanticides too.  I hate all systems that hurt women.  Even those in the US.  What's horrible about this one is her punishment was increased because she dared question the initial ruling?

I seem to remember the Quran having a prescribed punishment...its like 80 lashes.  So where is the 200 coming from....

I'll tell you...its not about what's Islamic.  The Islamic thing wasn't done here. 

This isn't an Issue of shariah, this is an issue of men who have their women cowed and try to hide behind the concept that its religious duty to keep them that way.

I have no illusion that what I see in Saudi Arabia is anyway shape or form what the Prophet (pbuh) intended when he gave women their rights back and protections.

The Prophet (pbuh) was a staunch defender of women, he may have chastised this girl for being so foolish to have been in the situation, but he would have never had her beaten for simply trying to get something the man shouldn't have had in the first place.

I am sick of watching women around the world victimized and then blamed for the incidents. 

In the US, rape happens.  Why don't you hear international outcry?  Because you don't see the women being taken into a public market and beaten for speaking up.  The crime here is the silence of so many victims and the stigma that people put on victims. 

There is outcry...the difference is there is also paths of justice, both for the victim and the accused.  Israfil can tell you, cops are taught how they should approach both victim and accused.

Also, you really can't compare country to country.  Rapes and such are in the news all the time here.  So they are common enough people get desensitized to it.  In foreign countries like Saudi Arabia that do not have free speech, sometimes these things become sensational because they aren't talked about so often.  The buzz gets picked up.

I posted a horrid article here not to long ago about the forced abortions going on in China.  Its about getting the stories out of the closed countries.  That's what makes them news worthy in a cynical society like the west.
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2007 at 6:39am

Women are treated poorly all over the world!

Truthseeker.. I agree.. I think what makes it more diffcilut is that the woman is officially by the laws of the society as well. If someone is raped in many other countries they re not given punishment.. guess it is just shocking.. and its rare.. so its news... the experiences of thosands of women here are so common its not news.

people are such a mess!

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
ak_m_f View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2007 at 8:17am
In case you havent read the news carefully

That night, she said, she had left home to retrieve her picture from a male high school student she used to know. She had just been married � but had not moved in with her husband � and did not want her picture to remain with the student.

While the woman was in the car with the student, she said, two men intercepted them, got into the vehicle and drove the couple to a secluded area where the two were separated. She said she was raped by seven men, three of whom also allegedly raped her friend.

Apparently she was raped along with her boyfriend; why isn't anyone creating a fuss about her boyfriend?
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2007 at 8:50am

Salaams,

Originally posted by ak_m_f ak_m_f wrote:

In case you havent read the news carefully

That night, she said, she had left home to retrieve her picture from a male high school student she used to know. She had just been married � but had not moved in with her husband � and did not want her picture to remain with the student.

While the woman was in the car with the student, she said, two men intercepted them, got into the vehicle and drove the couple to a secluded area where the two were separated. She said she was raped by seven men, three of whom also allegedly raped her friend.

Apparently she was raped along with her boyfriend; why isn't anyone creating a fuss about her boyfriend?

Saudis defend punishment for rape victim

2 hours, 22 minutes ago

The Saudi judiciary on Tuesday defended a court verdict that sentenced a 19-year-old victim of a gang rape to six months in jail and 200 lashes because she was with an unrelated male when they were attacked.

The Shiite Muslim woman had initially been sentenced to 90 lashes after being convicted of violating Saudi Arabia's rigid Islamic law requiring segregation of the sexes.

But in considering her appeal of the verdict, the Saudi General Court increased the punishment. It also roughly doubled prison sentences for the seven men convicted of raping the woman, Saudi news media said last week.

The reports triggered an international outcry over the Saudis punishing the victim of a terrible crime.

But the Ministry of Justice stood by the verdict Tuesday, saying that "charges were proven" against the woman for having been in a car with a man who was not her relative.

The ministry implied the victim's sentence was increased because she spoke out to the press. "For whoever has an objection on verdicts issued, the system allows an appeal without resorting to the media," said the statement, which was carried on the official Saudi Press Agency.

The attack occurred in 2006. The victim says she was in a car with a male student she used to know trying to retrieve a picture of her. She says two men got into the car and drove them to a secluded area where she was raped by seven men. Her friend also was assaulted.

Justice in Saudi Arabia is administered by a system of religious courts according to the kingdom's strict interpretation of Islamic law.

Judges have wide discretion in punishing criminals, rules of evidence are vague and sometimes no defense lawyer is present. The result, critics say, are sentences left to the whim of judges. A rapist, for instance, could receive anywhere from a light sentence to death.

State Department spokesman Sean McCormack avoided directly criticizing the Saudi judiciary over the case, but said the verdict "causes a fair degree of surprise and astonishment."

"It is within the power of the Saudi government to take a look at the verdict and change it," McCormack said.

Canada's minister for women's issues, Jose Verger, has called the sentence "barbaric."

The New York-based Human Rights Watch said the verdict "not only sends victims of sexual violence the message that they should not press charges, but in effect offers protection and impunity to the perpetrators

Salaamu Alaykum,

Yes, of course, what happened to him is important and needs to be punished. 

But the most imporant and salient comment is in red.  This action "offers protection and impunity" to the perpetrators.

We have heard many, many stories, and I have heard a few stories from people I personally know, and I conclude easily without a doubt that the Saudi Kingdom doesn't regard protection of its women and men nearly as important as punishment and humiliation.  They have clearly said:  Rape our women and men if you catch them involved in the slightest impropriety.

May Allah, The Protector, protect and care for these rape victims.  Ameen.

Edited by herjihad
Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic